Medical doctor talks about mental health and the gospel

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 22, 2015
Interesting video from a medical Doctor who deals with mental health issue with Christians in his practice.

He shows that it is the mis-understanding of the true gospel that causes Christians to become ill in their thinking.

I have heard of a leading psychiatrists say the exact same thing...in the area that a lot of people think they have committed the unpardonable sin and that torments them. It's funny because the fact that it bothers them shows they haven't committed the unpardonable sin.

Have a look if interested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi8xTPT-Gs8

Budman

Mar 9, 2014
I tend to agree. If one believes they cannot be saved and are headed for hell no matter how much they desire salvation, it can destroy them mentally.

You are absolutely correct; The very fact that they are concerned about having committed some unpardonable sin, is a sure indication they have not. The desire to be saved only comes from God the Father - He is the one that draws people to Christ. Without God drawing people, the Bible says none would seek after Christ. If there is some sin that cannot be forgiven, God would not bother giving them the desire for salvation.

All who desire salvation, can be saved.

The reason? Jesus promised it - and He cannot lie: "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will in no way cast out." (John 6:37)

There is a promise in the Bible regarding mental heath that is very encouraging:

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (2 Timothy 1:7)

Nov 22, 2015
Well said! It seems like it relates to the kind of gospel we are hearing. The gospel that Paul preached of the grace of Jesus Christ has the power to save us in all areas of our lives. The word "salvation" means a lot of things, wholeness, healing, peace, deliverance, preservation, to keep. to protect.." The real gospel is the power of God for our salvation...gotta love it! We have a mighty Savior!

Romans 1:16-17 (NASB)
[SUP]16 [/SUP] For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
[SUP]17 [/SUP] For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "BUT THE RIGHTEOUS man SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."

I tend to agree. If one believes they cannot be saved and are headed for hell no matter how much they desire salvation, it can destroy them mentally.

You are absolutely correct; The very fact that they are concerned about having committed some unpardonable sin, is a sure indication they have not. The desire to be saved only comes from God the Father - He is the one that draws people to Christ. Without God drawing people, the Bible says none would seek after Christ. If there is some sin that cannot be forgiven, God would not bother giving them the desire for salvation.

All who desire salvation, can be saved.

The reason? Jesus promised it - and He cannot lie: "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will in no way cast out." (John 6:37)

There is a promise in the Bible regarding mental heath that is very encouraging:

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (2 Timothy 1:7)