Men and God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jordache

BACKGROUND: My worship pastor whom I've been under for 10 years told me a couple of weeks that he had fallen in love with me. It was a terrible judgement call, but his intent was honorable if not misdirected. It threw me for a loop because this man has been by my side through some of the greatest challenges of my life. He's the one I call when I don't understand men. He's the one I've called with all my worship questions. He walked me through coming to a point where I could admit and accept my fathers abuse. He was the one I called while I was back home and my father was dying. He took me in when my husband became violent. He took me to the bank to switch my accounts over. He and the senior pastor have stoof by me through my whole divorce and are the only men I would have give me away at my next wedding.

So all three of us met and he apologized. That was about it. Bascially, we cannot be alone together which is fine, and we cannot do worship alone - meaning just the two of us. That's a harder pill to swallow, but again... fine. After the first pastor left, I sat with the senior pastor who gave me this (actually) great talk. You see, I didn't really have a father who cared. And my mother just raised me with the notion that boys will be boys and whatevver happened was my fault. Both of them either called or treated me as a tramp from farther back than I remember. So I was raised feeling as far from beautiful as I one could feel. I felt rotten to my core which made me feel utterly undesirable as a person. My gender was a vulnerability. Simply because I was born female, I was set in a position where I was bound to be attacked. So I guess there is a bit of shame for being female. So the pastor in his very fatherly was explaining sex appeal which I'm not sure I understand completely. He was explaining attraction. I know I'm intriguing to people. I'm quiet in new situations but I sing on the worship team. I think my voice shocks people sometimes because it's not quiet and reserved like my personality can be sometimes. Also, being in some position of leadership makes people assume things about me that may or may not be true. I know I get attention because I have a presence in my church. I am VERY well know. I have never been protected, so it's very difficult for me to protect myself. It stirs up a lot of pain and resentment. I do for the first time in my life have a covering. Both of my pastors have been my protectors. However, I live in Los Angeles and I don't drive. Thus I walk LONG distances. Enough back story...
Yesterday I was at church for a meeting, my last divorcecare meeting. One of the guys and I were obviously flirting. It wasn't anything inappropriate. It was all in fun. We were just being playful, and it was very entertaining. It was nice to know that someone cared I was around. Thank God this guy actually goes to a different church. I rarely see him which is probably a good thing. It's makes boundaries easier. However, I noticed something. When worship started it was much more a challenge to enter in than it has been in the recently past. I know that this is what Paul was talking about when he was advizing us to be married or single. While I don't believe I have a gift for singleness, it was a bit of a wake-up call when I realized that just a bit of attention could fill my void for the Lord even temporarily.

I don't want a man to take that place... EVER.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Hugs Jordache, Jesus is trully bringing His healing and perfect to your life. :)
You remain always in my prayers in Jesus.

God bless
pickles

P

psychomom

That's beautiful, Jordache.
I pray the Lord Himself as your Protector, and your Covering,
in Jesus.

-ellie
xoxo

K

kenisyes

You're beautiful inside, thanks to Jesus. Your bio says you are married, but you mention divorce care. Is that an issue in all this? If you are single again, know that you don't need anyone to flirt with to prove anything, whatever your parents may have said.

The following is from me as a lifetime worship and music leader:

They call it "sentics". Cross culturally, humans are programmed with emotional responses that show up in the pressure of how we move our muscles. When you play music, or sing, you cannot hide anger, lust, jealousy, or anything else. You literally pluck the strings differently, and subconsciously everyone who hears the music knows something is wrong. My wife and I would have known by the second line if we were in the congregation and could see the two of you on stage.

Unless you are single, it's called spiritual adultery, and your worship pastor should have known better than to look at you that way. In the world, or in the Kingdom, it was his fault and not yours.

When you are raised to leadership (and I can see it all over you and hear it in how you write), you will know better. Continue to live for the praises of God that music brings. If you are not married, and God wants you married, He will find you the person, as He did for me and my wife. If you are married, as you bio says, then God will work with you and your husband to get you into the ministry you are destined for.

J

Jordache

I am married, but divorcing for reasons of abuse and abandonment. First off, the worship pastor made a mistake in telling me what he did, and he admits it. I KNOW that I don't need the attention, but it's human nature to crave it from people. God created us to be in relationship with one another. It's not sin that enjoy the attention or even that I desire it. I just realized how much that natural desire when fulfilled complicated my communion with the Lord.
I do not consider what went on spiritual adultery. Could it have gotten there? Very easily on both of our parts. He is married, and technically I am also. His confession was because he didn't want it to become any more than it was. I do not believe it was full blown lust or infatuation, but that he realized that night that he was drawn to me because I was giving him what his wife was not. What I was giving him wasn't inappropriate either. This is a man I have the utmost admiration for. I love him dearly. He is the man who will give me away when I get married again. I adore him and encourage him. I build him up and he knows that I admire him. His wife is not all that affirming to him, and he saw that my admiration of him was stirring something in him. But he caught it before it really became anything. I can fault him for telling me instead of a man, but that is all. Human nature is something we all have to deal with. It happens and we address it. He began falling in love with me, and we addressed it. All is well.
One day, God will bring me a new husband. I was not raised by parents who recognized value in me. My mother shamed me as a woman and as a person. She and my father convinced me I was only worth what I could offer men. I knew nothing other than as ugly as I felt, I could attract men by some mysterious means. I felt for a long time that if I gave them enough of myself eventually they would find something in me that was worthwhile to love. My father robbed me of my innocence beginning in the crib, told me he hated me, and then disowned me. My mother begged me to fulfill her life for her. They manipluated and guilted me for every time I acted appropriately, and they abused in unfathomable ways. It took me a while, but I realize I chose my husband for two reasons and it all points back to my parents. I knew he wasn't going to hate me if I gained weight, and I knew he wasn't going to cheat on me. However, I didn't even know I was worth a husband who would provide for, protect, honor, and cover me. In avoiding my father, I married my mother: a man who couldn't see beyond himself, blamed me for all of his problems, left me to earn every penny, pay every bill, and plan every moment of life, a man who got violent and lashed out at me like a child.
I thought I deserved all this. I thought this was what I was worth because it was all I knew. Now I know a little better and I will keep on learning. Some day the Lord will bring me my husband: a man who stands up for those weaker than He, one who worships with abandon, one with a creative side, a sensitve heart, a pray-er, a lover, one who is patient and compassionate. He's out there somewhere.

K

kenisyes

You have grown immensely through this. I see it in your writing.) Ask yourself next what he and you each needed from a spouse to do your ministry properly. Then ask yourself how what He gave you that is different from most other people and causes these needs, is used by God to bring His presence own for a congregation. There is a wealth of gifts in your emotions that can open heaven for people.

My parents never accepted my calling either. You are God's daughter now. Your parents ideas are for someone else, not for you. I pray and labor over each of these posts. I still believe you have a wonderful life ahead of you, and God's power will be strong in you as you minister. If my life is any indication, the tears are all worth it.

I guess the spiritual adultery issue probably depends on what church you are in. I and my wife considered that for any person in ministry authority to look on any person in the ministry (unless they are both unmarried) as anything other than a co-priest building the Kingdom of God was to cross a dangerous line. Many pastors we have known would not even offer a ride to a woman in their congregation, for fear of appearance of evil.

K

kenisyes

That's my Biblical justification for wearing make-up! ;)
(jk)
-ellie
Do you mean for not wearing makeup? I have heard many women say they would not wear makeup because of the appearance of evil, but I note that most pastors' wives, and woman TV evangelists wear quite a bit.