Mercy and Truth go hand in hand

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Least

Mercy and truth go hand in hand.

Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. He does correct us and direct us and cleanse us and purge us from sin.
​John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Hebrews 12:6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
Hebrews 12:7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whetherye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your ownselves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

1 Corinthians 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
1 Corinthians 11:32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

Proverbs 24:16 For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the wicked shall fall into mischief.

This verse is addressing
a church: The Laodiceans:

Revelation 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

When we are chastened it is for correction,

Because of God's great mercy, through Christ Jesus we are able to humbly go to God in repentance.

James 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father,Jesus Christ the righteous:
1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
1 John 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

If we have been chastened, we know exactly where we have been in error. Repentance means, "to turn from," turning away from that sin.

Psalms 100:5 For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

Proverbs 3:3 Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:

Proverbs 16:6 By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.

Psalms 85:10 Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.

L

Laodicea

The sanctuary, has the ark of the covenant. Inside the ark is the 10 commandments while on top is the mercy seat. If we only had the law no one would be saved, if we only had mercy everyone would be saved. The two as shown by your posts and in the ark of the covenant show that they have to go together.

L

Laodicea

John 8:3-5 KJV
(3) And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
(4) They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
(5) Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

This is a good example of mercy and truth. According to the law she should have been put to death but, by His mercy He pardoned and said:-

John 8:10-11 KJV
(10) When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
(11) She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

L

Laodicea

Psalms 89:14 KJV
(14) Justice and judgment are the habitation of thy throne: mercy and truth shall go before thy face.
Revelation 3:8-9 KJV
(8) I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.
(9) Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

This is another example. God sets before all an open door and for those who do not go in will be judged.

L

Least

Great scriptural examples Laodicia, Isn't it amazing how the entire bible comes together to give us a complete picture of what something means? Scripture certainly does interpret scripture!

Proverbs 3:11 My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction:
Proverbs 3:12 For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

The Lord corrects us as sons, just as a parent will correct a child when he gets out of line.
When I think of my own children, they are good kids, but occasionally they would do something that required a consequence. Like being grounded or losing a privilege.
As with our own children, we make certain that they know why they face a consequence so that they won't repeat the same thing that got them into trouble.

The Lord instructs us throughout His word, and yet we still sometimes fall short.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

1 Corinthians 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
1 Corinthians 5:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

2 Timothy 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
2 Timothy 2:20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
2 Timothy 2:21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.
2 Timothy 2:22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

2 Corinthians 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Psalms 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.

Last edited: