Metal

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
X

xXErraticEmilyXx

I am a Christian and I am also a metal fan.

MetalFan.gif

Now that that joke is out of the way, I wanted to ask yall if you know of any good christian metal bands.
I like several genres. Heavy metal, power metal, black metal, death metal, melodic death metal...
As of right now, I'm looking for something like Children of Bodom or DragonForce.
Any suggestions?

suggestionbox.jpeg

Z

zaoman32

There's a massive favorite christian metal/industrial band thread. I think we've covered just about any christian metal band you can think of and then some.

Look up Theocracy, Golden Resurrection. Not sure of anything that sounds like Bodom, but I'm sure there's something if you're willing to research

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
i also invite you to the massive metal thread =]

personally, i just got a couple new albums in the last month i highly recommend if it suits you -

Grave Declaration "When Dying Souls Scream Praise"
is a gorgeous, devastatingly heavy & inspiring album of symphonic unblack metal, almost piano driven, but not skimping a bit on the melodic thrash; one of the best albums i have heard in a long time. it is truly "worship metal" with lyrics full of praise and glory to Christ. released earlier in 2013, from Norway - you can find it on youtube & it's well worth purchasing for the lyric book and to support these guys. led by a former member of Antestor, which is regarded as one of the best groups in unblack metal. you should check out Antestor too, actually, if you're into Children of Bodum, you'll love their stuff.

Elgibbor "The Path of Suffering" was released a little over a week ago - devastating, blistering raw atmospheric unblack metal, this guy has put out over a dozen albums by himself and now for the first time has a drummer and a keyboardist (Armath Sargon). if you thought metal couldn't possibly be heavy enough, this is for you. this is war music - the sounds of spiritual battle - not for the faint of heart, and you'll definitely need the lyric book to understand - but with it in hand, you'll find (like with the rest of his work) a number of Psalms, passages from Jeremiah, Ezekiel.. something like 90% of Elgibbor's lyrics are taken directly from the scripture. not recommended if you think Nickleback is remotely cool.

also from the Norse, Extol's most recent self-titled is excellent, progressive death metal at it's finest in the Christian metal scene. if you haven't heard of Extol, you don't understand just how good Christian technical death metal can be.

i'm also looking forward to a new album from Pantokrator, "Incarnate" to be released in less than a week. Pantokrator is wonderful Christian melodic death metal - you should do yourself a favor and listen to the whole "Aurum" album (found on youtube). this seems like right up your alley. one single from the upcoming album, "Revolution" is on youtube, but expect the album itself in total to be much heavier than that promo release, if "Aurum" is anything to judge by. Pantokrator too is unmistakably Christ-focused, something that a lot of bands in the "Christian metal scene" lose sight of.

as for me, i value a band that can play heavy music without taking their eyes of Christ more than a band with music and lyrics barely distinguishable from secular bands, even if the music is better, Christ is better still! but the groups i mention here, if you look at what they say personally, and the content of their songs, are unquestionably Christ-focused, and IMO very high quality metal too.

but check the enormous metal thread in this section too; there's a wealth of bands posted if you take the time to go through all the pages. also some silliness and a lot of metalcore at times lol.

Last edited:
S

ServantStrike

And lest we forget it, Soul Embraced just released an album last year, as did Living Sacrifice. The Living Sacrifice album was AWESOME... The Soul Embraced album was just a bit too short.

I'm pretty comfortable saying LS has moved more towards death than thrash. Soul Embraced has always been death.

Also, if you want to throw some metalcore in the mix, I recommend Saving Grace. They are on the really heavy end of the spectrum. Their lyrics are... absolutely wonderful, they have superbly tight riffs, and their drummer plays like the drums are on fire and he's beating away the flames.

[video=youtube;TA2giDLtZ_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA2giDLtZ_Y[/video]

Also, check out that massive thread, because it's well, massive.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
♥ i love this Saving Grace stuff ♥

C

CHROMEADDICT

Just go to Youtube and punch in Christian metal. They will have a lot of them on there and you can see what the perform like.

Feb 21, 2014
I really like 'Disciple's 'Battle Lines', although it's probably more Christian hard rock than Christian heavy metal.

acesneverwin

Jun 8, 2011
Not particularly. The problem with the other metal thread is that Christian metal is generally pretty specific. Metal in a secular sense is a very large umbrella but in Christian circles, it tends to lean more towards screaming hardcore stuff... not black metal or death metal. More like a grunge metalcore type or something, it's difficult to describe. There isn't the vast sub genres of metal like with secular.

There are a few here and there that are different but most tend to fall into the Demon Hunter, August Burns Red, Wolves at the Gate type.

Tried finding Christian metal on Pandora. I made a Sabaton station once. I love Sabaton and European Power metal in general. On Pandora, on my Sabaton station, I get hit after hit of songs from many bands I know and love. From Nightwish to Kamelot to Grave Digger etc... Punch in Theocracy in Pandora... And the bands are all over the map... The styles are totally different from one song to the next with nothing in common between bands aside from Christian lyrics. Many I wouldn't even call metal at all. I deleted my Theocracy pandora station because I'd run out of "Skips" before I ended up on another decent song.

If you want a good black metal band, there is Holy Blood. They don't sing in English but the lyrics are very Christian. The sound is fantastic though and musically, they are probably the best Christian band I know of. It's like Melodic Folk/Black Metal. Theocracy is decent... if you like power or melodic metal, they're the best you're gonna find and even then they leave something to be desired.

As far as Euro Power or melodic metal in the vein of Kamelot, Nightwish, Sabaton, Blind Guardian, Eluveitie, Wintersun, etc etc etc there really is no Christian equivalent that comes close.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Not particularly. The problem with the other metal thread is that Christian metal is generally pretty specific. Metal in a secular sense is a very large umbrella but in Christian circles, it tends to lean more towards screaming hardcore stuff... not black metal or death metal. More like a grunge metalcore type or something, it's difficult to describe. There isn't the vast sub genres of metal like with secular.

If you want a good black metal band, there is Holy Blood. They don't sing in English but the lyrics are very Christian. The sound is fantastic though and musically, they are probably the best Christian band I know of. It's like Melodic Folk/Black Metal. Theocracy is decent... if you like power or melodic metal, they're the best you're gonna find and even then they leave something to be desired.

i agree 100% with you that most Christian metal is hardcore, screamo metalcore etc. - but you have to admit that most secular metal is the same too.
the "Christian metal" scene is smaller than the secular, but every sort of sub-genre i think exists in some form of gospel metal too -- even though there are far fewer bands, if you dig hard enough you can find them.
i never use pandora or grooveshark or anything like that, because you're right, they either toss in secular bands with the christian ones or they have no sense of segue putting them together.

if you like Theocracy and Holy Blood you'll probably like this guy:

[video=youtube_share;sJgVqRZehRA]http://youtu.be/sJgVqRZehRA[/video]​

also check out Saint, Divinefire, Golden Resurrection, Narnia, After Omega, Tourniquet, HB .. for a few more righteous power metal groups.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
If you want a good black metal band, there is Holy Blood. They don't sing in English but the lyrics are very Christian. The sound is fantastic though and musically, they are probably the best Christian band I know of. It's like Melodic Folk/Black Metal.

a lot of Christian bands that play this style of metal and heavier call themselves "unblack" instead of "black." if you search "unblack" in youtube you will find a lot more of it exists than you might have thought!
one of my favorites is Elgibbor, from Poland - he sings mostly in English (and mostly directly from scripture) but a few songs are Polish. in a very raw/black/folk/atmospheric style. not as technical as Holy Blood, but a lot more what i would call "black metal" -- that is, "unblack metal" style, and not at all 'power metal.'
not at all grunge or rock or -core either though; have a listen:

this song is Jeremiah 15:19-21
(lyrics embedded in vid)

[video=youtube_share;cvA4NunaVu8]http://youtu.be/cvA4NunaVu8[/video]

"if you return, then I will bring you back
and you shall stand before me
"