Minimalism and the Bible

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
Does the Bible encourage Minimalism? Does Jesus encourage minimalism when he says in Luke 12:15, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions."?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Does the Bible encourage Minimalism? Does Jesus encourage minimalism when he says in Luke 12:15, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions."?
It seems so...

Matthew 13:22 KJV
[22] He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.

Although the proper use of riches in helping others and furthering the Kingdom is perfectly fine.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Philippians 4:5"Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand."

A Baptist preacher told me this meant we shouldn't spend too much time on any one thing, but should try to have balance in our lives,

Dec 12, 2013
Being godly and content with what you have is great gain.....I minimalized...I gave away a whole house full of furniture, 70 inch hitachi tv, bedroom sets, all cooking stuff, everything to the poor in my neighborhood...opened my doors and let them take it all and what was left I gave to good will.....and then simplified my life, moved off grid and when in the U.S. live in a 650 square foot cabin only connected to outside by sat tv and internet...generate my own power, heat with wood and loving every minute of it.....no rat race for me....!!

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Being godly and content with what you have is great gain.....I minimalized...I gave away a whole house full of furniture, 70 inch hitachi tv, bedroom sets, all cooking stuff, everything to the poor in my neighborhood...opened my doors and let them take it all and what was left I gave to good will.....and then simplified my life, moved off grid and when in the U.S. live in a 650 square foot cabin only connected to outside by sat tv and internet...generate my own power, heat with wood and loving every minute of it.....no rat race for me....!!

I do envy your lifestyle………...in the area of admiration...…….I will not go into what I have given but something curious has occurred in the past when I have tried to give or shasre things, those offered wanted new...…...go figure!

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Greed is bad.. But having a lot of possesions is an entirely different matter.. One can have a lot without being greedy.. Having possesions does not cause greed..

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
If we have much we are to be generous with our resources, some instances:
JEsus said if we have two coats, to give one to someone who has none.
He told the rich young ruler to sell all his possesions and give to the poor and follow Him
He admonished the man who built more barns for all his possessions when that night his very soul would be taken
When he spoke to the disciples about the temple being destroyed he said run and dont take anything with you.
When they went out ministerin they didnt take a lot of baggage.
brother James wrote that people that are rich in this world ought to not be concerned about their riches or highminded (i.e snobby) but to be generous to the poor.
The early church had all things in common. They shared.

I dont know if this is 'minimalism' as such because Jesus said he came to give us life and life more abundantly...hes not stingy about that. But the more you have the more responsibilty you have to look fter it.
Job was extremely wealthy but satan took everything away from him to test him However cos Job was patient and humble God restored everything back. When you give to the poor you lend to God and He will pay you back. God loves a cheerful giver.

Personally I think being possessesed by ones possessions isnt healthy. GOd doest want you to be covetous or idolatrous. He wants you to be hungry and thirsty for His righteouness..when we seek His Kingdom, everything else will be added to us.