Ministering Effectively

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

Kyouken

I sometimes feel like I don't minister effectively, or I could minister more effectively than I'm doing. I try almost too hard not to force myself on other people, and sometimes that ends up doing the opposite of what it's intended to. Then again, this may just be a feeling. Any ideas on how to minister effectively?

U

Ugly

Yeah, learn to hear God. Because if it isn't God leading you then that may be the reason its ineffective. I'm more of a 'counselor' type than a preacher man. I often go through the forums, for example, and see if i can use my experiences and things i've learned to help others through their difficult times. Key is, i don't go into every single thread of that time bent on giving answers. I read, i consider if i have anything to say that could be of use, and that hasn't already been said. Sometimes i just close the thread without responding, even though it is exactly the type of situation i'm good with. But if i don't really feel compelled then i don't push it. There have been some occasions where i puffed myself on and pushed my way into a situation to 'help' because 'i'm so good at this stuff', and every time i get like that i fail. I do nothing for the person, and walk away knowing it. So don't push, stop and think if you feel you really have anything valuable to input, or if you really feel lead, or if you're just trying to do your own works.

K

Kyouken

Ugly, I honestly do have trouble hearing God sometimes (I think you hit the nail right on the head there). While I have been getting better, I sometimes think it's hard for me to take that leap of faith and just trust God for all He's worth. I think the reason why I do have trouble hearing Him is because of my own carnal thoughts - some times (or most of the time, I haven't kept tally) I think that because I know, they should know, which isn't entirely untrue, but I fail to evaluate the situation like I should have. Though, there have been some times (recently) that I've known God is leading me, and I do see better results. And it's kind of funny how you mentioned going through the forums as you did - I typed a whole response and then, after re-reading it a couple of times, I closed the thread without posting it. I'll take into account what you've said and focus a little more on hearing God. I'm grateful for your response and advice. Thank you.

U

Ugly

I have trouble hearing God as well, actually. But in the area of opening my mouth on these forums, i've at least learned to check myself better. Perhaps this is the start of me learning to hear God in other ways as well. But its a good place to start because you can take all the time you need to decide to respond to something or not. Unlike in a real time conversation where you only have seconds and may feel more pressured. I might say when you want to act, ask yourself is it because you have a strong desire and something you know you want to say? Or do you feel obligated? Are you doing it because you 'should' or because something in you is stirred to act? If you stop and listen you can learn to discern the two. Just relax and don't pressure yourself.
Hopefully i'm not being redundant now haha.

K

Kyouken

Nope, you're not being redundant :p Sometimes I do some things because I feel obligated and have the knowledge, though. I see what you mean about the forums, too. By the way, I hope (pray) that you'll be able to listen to God (easier, anyway).

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
That's excellent, Ugly, you said just about everything I was going to say, so maybe I don't even need to post, hehehe. But, I also wanted to add that it's a good idea to ask God to give you insight when you're counseling someone, because it's better not to say anything rather than tell someone the wrong thing (If you haven't already, then ask God to fill you with the Holy Spirit, because His still, small voice will be your guide :)). If you don't feel that you have been given specific, straight-from- headquarters insight, then don't get too involved, because you probably aren't the right one to minister to that person, and He will appoint someone else. Be careful, because bad counsel (even if you mean well) can really mess someone up! Learn to trust and obey the still, small voice. Hope this helps :) -Nichole

K

Kyouken

I usually ask God to help me say what I'm trying to say, but I'm not sure that when I ask I'm really listening, heh. I see your point there, though - I would hate to say the wrong thing... Thank you, Nichole.

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
Yup, listening is the key! When it comes to ministering, both online and in real life, I listen a LOT more than I speak. Listen to the person, to see what's troubling them, and then listen to The Holy Spirit, to find out what the solution is. He doesn't always tell you right away, sometimes I hear someone's problem and don't know what to say at first, but the next morning, the answer becomes very clear. Be patient, and be obedient! :) -Nichole

S

Siberian_Khatru

Keep in mind that it is not about winning the argument, it's about winning the soul. You are not meant to bring someone to God; that is the job of the Holy Spirit. If you want to minister to people, the idea is to practice what you preach, understand what you practice and what you preach, and let the Holy Spirit work through you.

God bless!

K

Kyouken

Siberian_Khatru, I can be quite the argumentative person... I'll definitely keep what you said in mind, that, what you said about the Holy Spirit's job, and practicing and understanding what I preach.

Thank you, all, for the advice; it's helped a lot. I can safely say I'll incline my ear and listen better now than I would have had I not had the advice you gave. God bless you all :).

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
Welcome! :) Feel free to PM me if you ever have a question. I'm a good listener, and I'll be sure to pray about the answer. :D ;) :p

K

Kyouken

Praise God! Since then, He's really been working in my heart (and I've been hearing [or listening, rather, heh]!). I know I've said it before, but God bless you all! And thanks, Nichole!

WordGaurdian

May 1, 2011
I sometimes feel like I don't minister effectively, or I could minister more effectively than I'm doing. I try almost too hard not to force myself on other people, and sometimes that ends up doing the opposite of what it's intended to. Then again, this may just be a feeling. Any ideas on how to minister effectively?
Boldness is needed. We often found ourselves in a scenario where it is easy to give advice (because we get taught from very young to speak our mind) but we are not so sure in administering that which God wants to do.

Logically, as has been said, you need to listen for this.

But often enough an act of faith is required together with you advice. Sometimes it is just as important to pray for someone for healing than it is to give to correct advice, but even more so, it is just as important to give. Give what is needed. Example if the person is hungry. Do not talk to him until you fed him. If a person is cold, give them something like a Jacket or a Blanket and then you can minister.

Don't be scared to minister by simply repeating the words that God give you. I often times give a single sentence to a person that God asked me to say, and that alone change more than all the advice I supposedly could give.

Testify to people (even if they are unbelievers) of what God has done for you. Remember - Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. If they hear your testimony their faith will increase, but more than that your faith will increase and if both of your faith is there you open a door for God to do miracles. Not that God requires it, but it is His preferred way of working through faith.

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
Praise God! Since then, He's really been working in my heart (and I've been hearing [or listening, rather, heh]!). I know I've said it before, but God bless you all! And thanks, Nichole!
^^^^You're certainly welcome, you made my day with this post, so thank YOU :). So happy that you're listening, hearing, and hopefully applying & being obedient as well ;).

And, Wordguardian's post is very good also, particularly when it comes to sharing your testimony. When I said not to get too involved in ministering if you don't have heavenly insight, I was thinking more of giving spiritual advice to someone (like, you don't want to tell someone they have a demon if their problems are actually caused by disobedience to God, or unforgivenss in their heart, etc.)

Sharing your testimony with someone is a little different, you don't need heavenly insight beforehand if you feel that the Holy Spirit has prompted you to tell someone about Jesus, just say what He gives you to say at the time. And, as Wordguardian said, sometimes it's only a sentence or two. But that's fine, God knows what they need to hear ;)......A word spoken in due time, how sweet it is........:) I started a thread about this in Miscellaneous a few weeks ago called "He thought for a moment, and said "YES". You might want to check it out, I think you'd like it.

And, also as Wordguardian said, there is a faith element, as well, and boldness is required. Sometimes, the words you are given to speak may seem a little odd, but if it's what He wants you to say, then it will be effective. Even if you don't get it, I'll almost guarantee that the person you're talking to will ;). All the best to you and your ministry! May He guide your words and actions, AMEN! -Nichole

Last edited:
K

Kyouken

WordGaurdian, "boldness" never crossed my mind O.O . I guess it would be kinda hard to be bold (unless I was focused on Jesus, though). Then again, I'm not sure I know the Word enough to be able to be bold (depending on the subject; I've got the Gospel down pretty good :) ). I know I definitely need to meditate on it more, but praise God, I know the Gospel. And as far as giving, I've never really given that much thought, either. I'm usually a giving person, but now that I think about it, I don't think I've been giving credit where it's due :/ . I'll keep that in mind, and the advice you have given. Thank you, WordGaurdian.

Nichole, I wouldn't mind saying what God has told me to say (praise God, that would be a heck of a lot easier and better than anything I'd have to say!), but I think I need to get used to hearing Him and listening first. It's been revealed to me that this is an area of my life that needs work, so yeah. Oh, and I'll check out that thread, too.

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
WordGaurdian, "boldness" never crossed my mind O.O . I guess it would be kinda hard to be bold (unless I was focused on Jesus, though). Then again, I'm not sure I know the Word enough to be able to be bold (depending on the subject; I've got the Gospel down pretty good :) ). I know I definitely need to meditate on it more, but praise God, I know the Gospel. And as far as giving, I've never really given that much thought, either. I'm usually a giving person, but now that I think about it, I don't think I've been giving credit where it's due :/ . I'll keep that in mind, and the advice you have given. Thank you, WordGaurdian.

Nichole, I wouldn't mind saying what God has told me to say (praise God, that would be a heck of a lot easier and better than anything I'd have to say!), but I think I need to get used to hearing Him and listening first. It's been revealed to me that this is an area of my life that needs work, so yeah. Oh, and I'll check out that thread, too.
^^^^You are wise beyond your years, Sir! Very good point, just get used to asking him stuff and hearing from Him for now. He will guide ALL areas of your life, if you let Him. :) God Bless! -Nichole

K

Kyouken

All I can say is I am who I am because of Him. I've got a long way to go, but praise God, I've got Him.

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
:):):):):):):):) We're all in the same boat, I think. The important thing is to stay aware of that fact, so that we can keep growing in Him. :) God bless! -Nichole