Mother is angry about baptism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

lsbrit

I was not sure where to post this, I am hoping this is the appropriate place.
I am an adult who has turned my life over to Jesus over the past year and a half. I felt God's call for years, but just finally surrendered to it.
I was raised Catholic. Sent to Catholic school and church on Sundays. My parents didn't attend church and, other than fasting during lent and sending us kids to receive the sacraments, we did not really discuss church, God or read the bible.
I decided that I was ready to be baptized. God has changed me significantly and there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to stand up and tell everyone. I wanted truly commit to living for Jesus.
3 weeks ago I told my parents that I was doing this and told them the date. My mother immediately said "So, you are no longer Catholic?" I tried to explain how I felt and why I was doing this. They were silent. It was really uncomfortable. A few days before my baptism I got a text from my mother asking what time. I told her and explained that they did not have to come. (It was early on Sunday morning. My mother doesn't sleep well and has a very hard time in the mornings and they also gave me the impression that they did not like this at all.) I wanted to give them an out.
I called my mother the following Monday (yesterday). She was very short with me and rude. I saw my brother later and told him that she was angry with me, but I wasn't sure why. He said she had told him that I got baptized and didn't tell her. He told me that he wasn't sure how she knew. I told him that I had told weeks prior. I was floored. I could not believe that she lied.
Prior to all of this, my mother has reacted in a seemingly jealous way any time I talk about church and my friends from there. I try not to talk about it at all.
I am struggling with this so much. I am sick to my stomach. Although I realize they may feel that they already had me baptized and don't understand the need to do it again, I cannot believe this is causing this kind of anger.
Has anyone else had their families turn on them because of their faith? How do you deal with this?

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
My opinion is... sounds like you did the right thing.

I'm sure plenty of people here can tell you about their experiences, but families have been turning on their own family members over matters of faith for a very long time, in every corner of the globe.

You need to pray, and continue to be as loving and kind to your mother as possible.
Then let God, in his time, do whatever he intends to do.

There is no silver bullet for these things.

Mar 26, 2013
I was not sure where to post this, I am hoping this is the appropriate place.
I am an adult who has turned my life over to Jesus over the past year and a half. I felt God's call for years, but just finally surrendered to it.
I was raised Catholic. Sent to Catholic school and church on Sundays. My parents didn't attend church and, other than fasting during lent and sending us kids to receive the sacraments, we did not really discuss church, God or read the bible.
I decided that I was ready to be baptized. God has changed me significantly and there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to stand up and tell everyone. I wanted truly commit to living for Jesus.
3 weeks ago I told my parents that I was doing this and told them the date. My mother immediately said "So, you are no longer Catholic?" I tried to explain how I felt and why I was doing this. They were silent. It was really uncomfortable. A few days before my baptism I got a text from my mother asking what time. I told her and explained that they did not have to come. (It was early on Sunday morning. My mother doesn't sleep well and has a very hard time in the mornings and they also gave me the impression that they did not like this at all.) I wanted to give them an out.
Prior to all of this, my mother has reacted in a seemingly jealous way any time I talk about church and my friends from there. I try not to talk about it at all.
I am struggling with this so much. I am sick to my stomach. Although I realize they may feel that they already had me baptized and don't understand the need to do it again, I cannot believe this is causing this kind of anger.
Has anyone else had their families turn on them because of their faith? How do you deal with this?
Let me give you a hug online. I also used to be a Roman Catholic and now I am a Pentecostal Christian. Even in the early chruch, there was the question whether you are a Christian by baptism. This question was asked in Acts 19, 1-7:

And it happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the inland1 country and came to Ephesus. There he found some disciples. And he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.” And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” They said, “Into John’s baptism.” And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.” On hearing this, they were baptized in2 the name of the Lord Jesus.
And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying. There were about twelve men in all.
There is another example to explain that. Why did your mom marry your dad? I hope they married as they loved each other. I also claim that they refute the idea that the parents determine their partner and agree that love feelings are necessary. If not then it is really a bad situation.

The same is true with the conversion to Christ. You have to feel the holy spirit in you which lets you lead a different life than before.

Pray for your mom. And do not allow fear mongering at any place.

K

kenisyes

The Catholic Church is not very good on explaining the truth about a church's place in your life, or about salvation either. They find it easier to substitute guilt and fear to keep you coming, hoping to keep you in touch with Jesus through them, so you will reach heaven when you die. Many times, an older generation, not knowing how to raise a child in Christ, will trust the Cath Ch to do it for them. If the child leaves the church, the parents feel have then failed, and now the child will go to hell.

in other words, she believes catholic membership is the only way you are certain of going to heaven, and making you catholic was part of the greatest love she could give you, your eventual salvation. She is of course wrong, but her belief is what is confusing her. My parents weren't quite this bad, but I recognize some of the signs. Just give her time, and love her as best as you can.

E

ElizabethPeter

It seems like you're going through a lot. But to be frank and honest, you don't really need to get baptized. Baptism is an act of faith. It's to show that you believe in Christ's absolute finished work at His baptism, cross and resurrection. Though, these days, many are getting baptized without even knowing what they're doing. There is no use of being baptized, if you don't have the faith. And when I say faith, I mean faith in the water, blood and spirit. Christ's water, blood and spirit. Not your own. Your mom probably doesn't understand why you're doing what you're doing. That's why you have to sit down with her and have a long talk. But to be honest with you, if you really do believe, you wouldn't have any struggles. Anger is just a by-product of sin. And if you really believe in Christ's baptism, death and resurrection and if that was your sole reason of getting baptized, then you're sinless and righteous. You will sin in your flesh, yes. But in yours spirit, you're sinless, and righteous. This is the by-product of faith in the absolute truth of the water, blood and spirit. And if you love your mom, you would do your very best to try to save her. God loved you and He gave His life for you. All you have to do is preach this truth to your mother. And if she is still stubborn, then pray. Just keep praying. And surely, God will answer your prayers. Before you talk to her, ask God for help. And after you finish, thank God. This may have not been much help. But hopefully you understood the point that I was trying to bring across.

God bless :) Have a good day.

B

BarlyGurl

I feel bad for you sister. It is an unfortunate circumstance that sometimes when we answer the call of Christ...it can have negative repercussions on other relationships. You have not sinned... be strengthened in HIM and pray the Lord ease the strain your mother has created on you.