Music

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Saki

I didn't know where else to put this thread, so I decided to stick it here. I just wanted to know if there were any songs you listened to before being saved you never really thought about, but after you were saved and heard them again, they held much more meaning and hit home for you? This can include both secular and Christian music.

For me, I liked a few Nickelback songs before accepting Christ and I liked them but they never really hit home. However, after accepting Christ, I found they held more meaning.

The songs in question were: Savin' Me, If Everyone Cared and If Today Was Your Last Day.

B

Bryancampbell

I listened to U2, many say they aren't a Christian band, but I would listen to them day after day not knowing the meaning of their lyrics (they spoke symbolic)'. And some of the songs I later found out (became a believer) were actually Christian symbols.

T

Tintin

U2 not a Christian band? Many of their songs have more theological depth than many modern praise and worship songs.

B

Bryancampbell

U2 not a Christian band? Many of their songs have more theological depth than many modern praise and worship songs.
I know right, but people keep saying they are just a rock band who are Christian.

S

Saki

Personally, I think songs of any form and genre can have symbolic meaning and depth. It shouldn't be restricted to secular or Christian. There are exceptions, of course.

I mean, just look at some country singers who are Christian, and that a lot of country songs are gospel in their own way! I never really listened to U2 so I can't really comment on them.

B

Bryancampbell

Personally, I think songs of any form and genre can have symbolic meaning and depth. It shouldn't be restricted to secular or Christian. There are exceptions, of course.

I mean, just look at some country singers who are Christian, and that a lot of country songs are gospel in their own way! I never really listened to U2 so I can't really comment on them.
True that, like Tintin said they spoke theologically in depth that as a unbeliever I had no idea what they were talking about.

S

Saki

True that, like Tintin said they spoke theologically in depth that as a unbeliever I had no idea what they were talking about.
Plus, if God speaks to you through music, you can find him in a lot of songs that you didn't think you would find him in! That's been my experience, anyway.

U

Ugly

Separate from Some of their lyrics, what about the lifestyles, attitudes, speech etc.. of each U2 member supports their true faith? They seemed to have started out with a more Christian oriented style, but they strayed pretty far from that for a while. I've seen plenty of bands out there that have the right lyrics and nothing else.

B

Bryancampbell

Separate from Some of their lyrics, what about the lifestyles, attitudes, speech etc.. of each U2 member supports their true faith? They seemed to have started out with a more Christian oriented style, but they strayed pretty far from that for a while. I've seen plenty of bands out there that have the right lyrics and nothing else.
I wouldn't judge their lifestyle if I didn't know what they did. Bono started smoking he said out of boredom, and this frustrated the band. He is now trying to quit.

Z

zaoman32

Lyrics to me are a big deal because that's how God speaks to me a lot of times, be it through christian or non-christian bands. In fact some bands that are very blatantly non-christian have had songs that spoke volumes to me and impacted me in many ways that christian songs just couldn't.

S

Saki

Lyrics to me are a big deal because that's how God speaks to me a lot of times, be it through christian or non-christian bands. In fact some bands that are very blatantly non-christian have had songs that spoke volumes to me and impacted me in many ways that christian songs just couldn't.
I think God's speaking to me in much the same way, myself!

We shouldn't judge the lyrics of the song by the lives of those who write them. After all, God works in many ways, and these lyrics might just be a part of that! Remember, he uses ALL people in one way or another, regardless of whether or not they know it.

At least, that's what I believe.

The latter part is more in response to the other posts in this thread since I can't figure out how to quote multiple posts ;-;

I

isaria

So many different types of music that can be so lovely different times and occasions.
Country music maybe one could line dance.
Would love do that and other dances.

Many people refuse to listen to some types of music for moral reasons and sometimes it may appear to be good but maybe was stolen, cheated on or bad morally some how.
Or sweetest voice but used in bad ways maybe to do harm through music.
One of best voices i ever heard is satanist singer.

It can be nice listen to some music while exercise and other when having bath.
I have no music now but only in car radio and or on laptop radio or youtube.
Was given spotify but not managed to open up iphone and devices to down load so can be used like a walk man.
That would be wonderful.
Not so good with these devices.

A lot of music they swear and rap and say they are balancing hard core energies and it can sound good like some action movies they swear also and it can sound funny.
Maybe it is how something is said more important than what?
"i love you" said in vain and for wrong reasons can be awful.
Maybe say it to suck up and get money or other reasons or lust...
Says one shall not swear but i cant help that using the lords name in vain and being fake with niceness that is truly evil may be worse than swearing deeply in a good balanced way for maybe a good cause.
Maybe to reach some one in gang realm and connect with them, touch them and even bring them to God but chanel full core energies to do so.
Maybe not all are like this or work this way.
Infact maybe most rappers and those swear do not but sooome do.

Some well known musicians i will not listen to.
Female and male artists whom i beleive cheated , stole or beyond played dirty and was to bad and these musicians are on top charts but i do not want listen to them.

I love gospel one may hear in church.
Like saw in film a church with coloured people and they all singing so freely and spirited and it just amazing.
Be wonderful be in a church like that and sing with them and pray and be... :)