Musical Instruments Found In The Bible

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

kenisyes

1. i'm not sure that enough records and objects survived the passage of time for us to be certain that the Israelites were the first to ever blow in an animal horn & make a noise, or to cast a metal horn, which i think is more likely to be what you are suggesting, but that's a pretty interesting thing to look into.

2. the Egyptian sistrum is much like a tambourine / timbrel --
what about Psalm 150:4 --
"Praise him with timbrel and dancing, praise him with the strings and the pipe!"
(in the NIV) -- that seems to be mentioning a "flute" (i.e. pipe) in a good light?

3. also Isaiah 30:29 -- "You will have a song, as in the night when a holy feast is kept, and with gladness of heart, as when one goes with a flute to come to YHWH's mountain, to Israel's Rock."

regardless, it is as you say, 'the other way around' --
1 Cor. 10:5
"we demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ"

like the people called to him out of the gentiles - the "unclean vessels" put to holy purpose - if every meat is declared "clean" it seems to me declaring instruments "clean" or "unclean" is petty & the arguments don't hold water.

not every song in the Psalms or elsewhere in the scripture is a song of praise; there are songs calling for judgement, songs of lamenting and regret, songs crying for the destruction of enemies. If we are to be 'speaking to each other in psalms and spiritual songs' (Col. 3:16) i think we're talking about the prosperity gospel if such speech should always be sweet sounding, melodious & feel-good. there's certainly a time for instruction, rebuke, lament, etc.

here in this verse i don't think "sweet soul music" is what is called for; to me it sounds very "metal" in the colloquial sense:
Isaiah 58:1 --

Cry aloud, spare not;
Lift up your voice like a trumpet;
Tell My people their transgression,
And the house of Jacob their sins.

1. You are correct, the argument must be made from absence, but the fact that the Sumerians do not seem to use the trumpet at all, and that Egyptian (middle kingdom only onward) uses the Hebrew loanword, strike me as pretty persuasive evidence. The Hebrews at Sinai were all trained in fluent Egyptian, so there is no reason for the word to have gone the opposite direction. Your objection is why I said "as far as I can trace".

2. The problem with using the Ps. 150, is that Gentiles are told to praise the Lord in Ps. 117, for example. There is no proof that this is any other than an attempt to be an exhaustive list, not a recommendation.

3. Thank you for finding a Scripture verse to replace the Talmud quote I gave. The verse proves only that the common people used flutes, not that they are recommended.

Your argument is excellent. It depends on what one means by negative context. I am more concerned with the use of the organ in churches (multiple flute instrument) having replaced the praise team in Christian history until recently. The theology underlying the acceptance of the organ was originally literally that it "places the equivalent of all the trumpet players of the levites at the control of one man". The appeal to pride and the replacement of God's Scriptural plan by human reasoning causes me great professional concern. For my purpose, these Scriptures are no contradictions, as one has the flute as a member of a praise team, the other makes it one instrument in the hand of one man, who is climbing the mountain to join others in praise.

Is. 58:1, has another implied meaning. Trumpet is of course shofar here, and what is meant is that you are to call God's judgment as a shofar does. But also, the Hebrew "Teruah" means both the trumpet call, and the shout of joy.

M

Married_Richenbrachen

I grew up in a church that started to play contemporary music (and eventually rock music). The church split some 10 or so years after this change, and went downhill since, ending up as a charismatic type church (complete with women pastors, weak doctrine, and pagan-like dancing amongst the youth in some services).

Although I can appreciate a few of the newer songs, I always feel more comfortable with older hymns, and have started to wonder if many of the problems I see in modern churches are indeed due in part to diabolical music the devil's minions have introduced.

I don't want to hi-jack a topic if this is the wrong place for this, but I'm curious (Kerry) about how you define rock music and/or contemporary music, and what determines if music is good or evil. I think most Christians if they think about it, will have to admit that music can only be good or evil (i.e. it is not amoral), but is there some sort of objective basis to test? For example, to me, heavy metal (so-called) "music" etc. is a combination of noise and evil music, but how could I objectively prove this to a young Christian who claimed to love such music?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
As Kenisyes stressed, and I seconded, it is written to make a joyful noise to the Lord. Any music that dignifies the praise of our Maker is acceptable. Naturally if it does not diginify, frankly, it is not worthy or praiseful.

Now, M_R, my feeling is the same as yours as preference, I am most moved by the tried and true hymns, but I do listen to a lot of pop gospel music, just about every day. Dottie Peoples, The Gatlin Brothers, Jeff and Shari Hester, Dolly Parton, Mahalia Jackson, and many more. Sometimes I turn on my old rock music, but I tire of it quickly, always going back to the gospel music. These days, it is the only music that makes sense for me it seems.

I grew up in a church that started to play contemporary music (and eventually rock music). The church split some 10 or so years after this change, and went downhill since, ending up as a charismatic type church (complete with women pastors, weak doctrine, and pagan-like dancing amongst the youth in some services).

Although I can appreciate a few of the newer songs, I always feel more comfortable with older hymns, and have started to wonder if many of the problems I see in modern churches are indeed due in part to diabolical music the devil's minions have introduced.

I don't want to hi-jack a topic if this is the wrong place for this, but I'm curious (Kerry) about how you define rock music and/or contemporary music, and what determines if music is good or evil. I think most Christians if they think about it, will have to admit that music can only be good or evil (i.e. it is not amoral), but is there some sort of objective basis to test? For example, to me, heavy metal (so-called) "music" etc. is a combination of noise and evil music, but how could I objectively prove this to a young Christian who claimed to love such music?