my husband does not communicate with me

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

licia917

Ive been married for 6 1\2 years and he still doesnt open up to me. Whenever i have a problem and tell him its like he doesnt care. I feel like I can't go to him for anything. its hard for me to try to fellowship with him because he is not christian and does not go to church, and I try with him because I really want someone to fellowship with. I just get tired of trying to get him to communicate with me. I dont know what else to do.

R

rainin

It is common for men to be as such. From what you describe your's is a bit extreme. I have no advice of how to solve his problem. Maybe this is a time for you to busy yourself with the Lord's work in other areas for a time. Pray for him and your marriage. Pray for yourself. It is not an easy thing to wait on the Lord sometimes but His direction is always the right path to take. Marriage is a lifetime committment and you both have to find your way. Sometimes the harder you try to get a person to change the harder they stay the same. Maybe this is a time for you to stand still in that area and let the Lord have a go at it. This could maybe be a time for you to rest, meditate, pray.....seek your own calling in the Lord.....stay busy doing good things. Sometimes over fussing about a thing can make it worse too. You say you don't know what to do. For a time, it may be best that you do nothing.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
It is difficult when one is unequally yoked together. The bible does warn against it.

With patience you may be able to win him to the Lord. You will need to demonstrate Gods love to him. Remember he is a sheep without a shepherd. He can only se Christ through you. Your life and your faithfulness are going to testify of Christ before your husband.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

J

jjtj22

In the same way, wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, even if some disobey the Christian message, they may be won over without a message by the way their wives live when they observe your pure, reverent lives. 1 Peter 3:1&2 (hcsb).

I know that when you are saved to not talk about God is torture but if he is far from God pushing God on him will drive him further away. Actions speak much louder to men than words do that is why the apostle Peter says to win your husband over "without a word" (niv). It can be easy for a wife to drown out God's voice, just remember that you are not the Holy Spirit, let Him convict your husband of his sins. Walk out your pure and reverent life knowing God is mighty to save.

Also, not that you do, but do not look down on your husband from a spiritually superior position as he will never want to lead spiritually if he thinks you are so much closer to God than he is. Look at this situation as your mission field, it is going to be tough and he has free will that he may never accept Christ, but it will definitely refine you.

If you would like more advice on how to walk this out or just need to talk please don't hesitate to pm me

Billyd

May 8, 2014
First, about your husband's salvation. In your situation the gospel song "Two Shoes", written (I believe) by Wilma Jo Tomblin, comes to mind.

Now for the communication problem. I can quote you several scriptures
, but since he is not a Christian, I'm going to suggest something a little different, and he will understand. You are at the most difficult period of any marriage. Everyone goes through it. When I got too comfortable and ignored her, my Christian wife of over 50 years got my attention with her come to momma (use your imagination) days. She called it "Renewal Time". It has worked for over 50 years. Remember God brought you together as one.

presidente

May 29, 2013
Ive been married for 6 1\2 years and he still doesnt open up to me. Whenever i have a problem and tell him its like he doesnt care. I feel like I can't go to him for anything. its hard for me to try to fellowship with him because he is not christian and does not go to church, and I try with him because I really want someone to fellowship with. I just get tired of trying to get him to communicate with me. I dont know what else to do.

It's fairly normal for men not to want to 'open up' and talk about their feelings to the same extent women do. But it does sound like you have a problem. I suppose one thing you can do is try to make yourself a 'safe place' for him to talk. When you talk to him, never be harsh. If your critical or harsh towards him, he may shut down the conversation. If you are very kind and warm towards him and make it really enjoyable talking with you, he may warm up. That may not work on every man. I do know if my wife gets in a mood for a few days and keeps thinking of me in a negative light and finds fault with what I do a lot, I don't really enjoy talking with her. If she gets like that, and comes to me with a problem, it's harder for me to listen than if we've been getting along well and she's been really warm and supportive. With my wife, attitude has a lot to do with hormones, lack of sleep, or a combination of the two. Most of the time we get along well, and I really enjoy it if she is really warm, kind, etc.

When you dated did you talk on the phone for hours or sit around talking for hours? If you did, he has the potential in him.

Why don't you experiment a little. Sit down and write as many good things about your husband as you can think of. When he comes home, greet him at the door with a kiss and a smile that says you are happy to see him. Tell him some of the things you remember from your list (without reading it.) For example, you could ask him to sit down because you have something to tell him. (you can make it seem kind of serious.) Then you tell him how much you appreciate his working so hard for the family. You could tell him how hard his work is (if that makes sense) and say you appreciate it. Kiss him. You can also complement physical attributes, flirt with him, etc.

If he knows he's coming home to sincere praise, warm, loving affection a meal he likes, and all that good stuff, not only will he be eager to come home, but he just might start to warm up a little more to conversation. If you do want to point out a flaw, do it very gently in short manner that is too the point without arguing or harsh accusations.

It's a lot of work, but the kind of thing that should be going on in a marriage. Hopefully, he'll reciprocate. If he enjoys talking to you and feels really safe about opening up because talking to you is such a pleasurable experience, he may do so more. He may also be a better listener when you have problems.

I can't guarantee this will work, but it's a good thing to do in marriage anyway, for either party.