My Husband had a stroke

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 15, 2019
PS:
She will need someone to play these on full volume and hold a phone close to her through these presentations. Someone cared enough to share the same message with me and she deserves the same. Please urge someone, anyone who will do this where she is at. I would ask if the care facility has an "Activities Department." Then I would ask if there are any devout christians or evangelicals in the department. Once they come to the phone, describe what you need her to do and the gravity that your MIL needs to hear these ASAP and fully awake.
If she is hard of hearing, sometimes a stiff plastic reflector or plate can be held against the back of the phone to boost volume.
You can ask for a call afterwards to ask your Mom if she understands what they said in the videos.
Are you 100% sure that you will be in heaven?
Why are you certain of that?
If she says something other than," Because Jesus Christ died for my sins and I trusted Him to save me.".... Then she will need to hear them again or have the gospel explained clearly and lead her in prayer. I have a dozen other gospel presentations to choose from, so sometimes one works better than another for different people. The message is the same. Let me know if there's anything I can do.
God bless you.
I am not physically there, but can pass this along to her by email and maybe one of her nurses or my BIL can play it for her. She's not overly Christian, to my knowledge - she's not super religious. I don't know what her beliefs are, honestly. Thank you for caring and for your prayers.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
I am not physically there, but can pass this along to her by email and maybe one of her nurses or my BIL can play it for her. She's not overly Christian, to my knowledge - she's not super religious. I don't know what her beliefs are, honestly. Thank you for caring and for your prayers.
Then I would call to make sure she listens to them right now. It's not a matter of how religious she is. It's a matter of who she decides to make the object of her trust, herself or Jesus Christ. Without Him today, there will be no second chances. She has been scammed by the satanic doctor.
My ministry is to reach those in such predicaments before it's too late.
She needs Christ before death in order to be saved from hell and receive the gift promised by our Lord of everlasting life.

There was an extremely religious man who taught others that they must keep the laws in order to be saved.
Jesus corrected the man and said,

"18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. "

John 3

Do you have any questions about the short videos I posted for her?

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
This is what I am so fearful of, him having another. I am not sleeping and scared. Our kids have been helpful and are very understanding, we are lucky that way. Our son is in grade 12 and graduating this Spring and he's under a lot of pressure with school work. Our daughter is almost 13 and is handling things okay, but is very upset this happened to her Dad. They are very close. We are a close family. We're doing our best to make things work, even with this anxiety going on. I've told him to only do what he can, and to take breaks. My own mother advised I don't helicopter him, because that may make his stress worse. My Dad had heart issues and a bypass when I was 12, and my Mom was a nag, she will admit that now. I don't want to nag him and constantly tell him what he should and shouldn't do. I totally understand what you're saying, for sure. I agree with you. I am just finding it hard to find a balance of nagging too little, and too much. I don't know what more he can do to lessen his chances of having another stroke, he is a healthy guy otherwise and yes there's always room for improvement with diet, but we do eat fairly well. They said his LDL wasn't that high for a normal guy his age, but now they want him to lower it. We've made changes to what we're eating, for sure. He is keeping hydrated. Sleeping okay. It's this nagging overwhelm that his Grandmother is going into the hospital to die tomorrow morning. It's grief that's doing this to him, I know it. His Dad (her son) passed only 6 years ago, and this is bringing that up for him again. I'm helping him as much as I can with our business, as are our kids. I just don't know what more to do... I am so lost in this. The anxiety and worry has me totally in knots. I've lost 15 lbs since the 30th, if that tells you anything.
Cholesterol levels are standardized but in truth they are more individualistic than "one limit fits all" type approach.

Yeah...he gets to take a statin class drug but they have low side effects. They usually are good at lowering cholesterol.
As far as anything more?
Just prayers. But it's not as small as it seems. It is God we are talking about. He can do anything. And as He has made me very painfully aware....He hears ALL the prayers of his kids.
God can hear the silent sound of one of his kid's heart breaking easily over the roar of those wishing to win the lottery. He hears it EVERY TIME.

So pray...ask for what you want. And just rest in the fact that God is going to do what's best on his end. (God is ALWAYS good)
Everyone else has Mamma to answer to.
They may not fear God but Mamma is terrifying.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Did I read that your Grandmother in-law goes to the Dr today to be euthanized? If I was in her area I would visit her and share Christ's good news with her. I'm clear down in West Virginia so that's not possible.
If you provide me her phone number, I will gladly call her. I'm not sure if my current phone service goes across the border to Canada, but I can try. If you wish to private message, I will check there hourly.

God bless you and your family.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
My otherwise healthy 46 year old husband had a stroke 9 days ago. It happened while he was sleeping and he woke up that morning with his entire right arm weak and zero strength in it. I made him go to the ER because he wasn't going to. It was a real shock as we were travelling when this happened, and we were miles away from home in another city. We are thankful that it was what they consider to be a small stroke, but it did show up on the MRI as an actual stroke, and not a TIA. He's doing remarkably well, where some people are not at this point. I am very grateful for that, but I am worried about any future events. I'm feeling a very uneasy and uncertain feeling that I can't shake. If anything, it should've been me. I am overweight and don't make the best food choices sometimes. I am also type 2 diabetic. I don't know why this happened to him, and I can't help but be angry that it has. I'm feeling very lost. We aren't sure why it happened with 100% certainty. He has to follow up with a doctor and cardiologist. He is also not quite himself, which is understandable after going through something like this. But I worry that it's more than that. Most of his stress was due to the fact that his grandmother has chosen to end her life with the assisted suicide and death program (MAID) that is available in Canada here, and he is having a very hard time, wrapping his mind around that and coming to terms with it. I hate the feeling I have in my gut and wish it would go away. I haven't slept well in days. 😞
I went back and read this thread again and see that you told John that she goes to the hospital this morning to be euthanized.
Please look up the hospital and department phone number and give me her name and I will share the gospel (good news) with her immediately. Even convicted criminals on death row are provided last rights or a gospel witness . I will call directly to share the message in the video above if I can.

Apr 15, 2019
I'm not sure when the day or time is at this point - things keep changing. I've had to almost put it out of my mind for self-preservation for myself and my husband. The family there are handling things with her. I am just trying to focus on my husband at this point who needs my full attention and help, as he is the one who had a stroke. Thank you so much for wanting to be a help during this hard time, your kindness is appreciated. I was told last night that she has already been visited by a pastor, so someone has spoken with her about spiritual matters. Thank you again, though. Everyone here have been so helpful and kind.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
I'm not sure when the day or time is at this point - things keep changing. I've had to almost put it out of my mind for self-preservation for myself and my husband. The family there are handling things with her. I am just trying to focus on my husband at this point who needs my full attention and help, as he is the one who had a stroke. Thank you so much for wanting to be a help during this hard time, your kindness is appreciated. I was told last night that she has already been visited by a pastor, so someone has spoken with her about spiritual matters. Thank you again, though. Everyone here have been so helpful and kind.
If the day has changed, then the Lord has answered prayers to give this precious 92 yo an opportunity to get saved. The hospice chaplains or pastors hired by the system are chosen to sell acceptance of the system's procedure. In the states the VA chaplains do this as do the hospice chaplains. The ones I've met teach a false gospel based upon works, not by grace.

But the bible teaches, "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us."
Titus 2:5

I understand that you may possibly feel like you are in an awkward position. Just so you know that others have been where you are including myself, but have a gift to bless seniors in such situations. I do hospital, hospice wards and nursing home visitation one on one and groups. If you contact your BIL and let him know that an evangelical Christian would like to pray with her and comfort her, I will be available until 9pm tonight and again at 9AM tomorrow. If you contact me, please do it as a response so I will see your notification in the top bar.

Prayerfully yours,

Frank

Soyeong

Oct 11, 2023
My otherwise healthy 46 year old husband had a stroke 9 days ago. It happened while he was sleeping and he woke up that morning with his entire right arm weak and zero strength in it. I made him go to the ER because he wasn't going to. It was a real shock as we were travelling when this happened, and we were miles away from home in another city. We are thankful that it was what they consider to be a small stroke, but it did show up on the MRI as an actual stroke, and not a TIA. He's doing remarkably well, where some people are not at this point. I am very grateful for that, but I am worried about any future events. I'm feeling a very uneasy and uncertain feeling that I can't shake. If anything, it should've been me. I am overweight and don't make the best food choices sometimes. I am also type 2 diabetic. I don't know why this happened to him, and I can't help but be angry that it has. I'm feeling very lost. We aren't sure why it happened with 100% certainty. He has to follow up with a doctor and cardiologist. He is also not quite himself, which is understandable after going through something like this. But I worry that it's more than that. Most of his stress was due to the fact that his grandmother has chosen to end her life with the assisted suicide and death program (MAID) that is available in Canada here, and he is having a very hard time, wrapping his mind around that and coming to terms with it. I hate the feeling I have in my gut and wish it would go away. I haven't slept well in days. 😞
I'm sorry that that happened to you. My dad had a minor stroke a few years ago, but was eventually was able to mostly recover, but he is slower to recall information and had to retire. My mom ate a super healthy diet, but she passed away rapidly from cancer, so it is weird how these things happen sometimes. I also had cardiac arrest last year when I was in otherwise good health. I want to thank all of the women who make us men go to the ER when we need to.

Apr 15, 2019
If the day has changed, then the Lord has answered prayers to give this precious 92 yo an opportunity to get saved. The hospice chaplains or pastors hired by the system are chosen to sell acceptance of the system's procedure. In the states the VA chaplains do this as do the hospice chaplains. The ones I've met teach a false gospel based upon works, not by grace.

But the bible teaches, "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us."
Titus 2:5

I understand that you may possibly feel like you are in an awkward position. Just so you know that others have been where you are including myself, but have a gift to bless seniors in such situations. I do hospital, hospice wards and nursing home visitation one on one and groups. If you contact your BIL and let him know that an evangelical Christian would like to pray with her and comfort her, I will be available until 9pm tonight and again at 9AM tomorrow. If you contact me, please do it as a response so I will see your notification in the top bar.

Prayerfully yours,

Frank
Thank you for how much you care and your offer, however - she did follow through and passed yesterday evening. My husband and I were not aware it would be happening then, we were told after she'd passed. We are very saddened, and don't know how to feel. I am just trying to comfort my husband and our kids during this strange and unsettling time.

Apr 15, 2019
I'm sorry that that happened to you. My dad had a minor stroke a few years ago, but was eventually was able to mostly recover, but he is slower to recall information and had to retire. My mom ate a super healthy diet, but she passed away rapidly from cancer, so it is weird how these things happen sometimes. I also had cardiac arrest last year when I was in otherwise good health. I want to thank all of the women who make us men go to the ER when we need to.
I'm so glad your Dad recovered from the stroke. I'm very sorry to hear your mother passed from cancer, and that you yourself have had heart issues. My heart goes out to you and I hope you are okay.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Having had this experience should end in your husband getting the right medical advice and receiving the right preventive treatments to prevent another stroke.. So while it is an unfortunate experience we can look on the bright side of things that your husband has good prospects for a good recovery and the ability to pursue a life style guarding against future trouble.. And yes many people who have experienced their first stroke are greatly damaged and do not recover.. So keep positive and hopeful.. May the LORD guide your husband to the best care..

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Thank you for how much you care and your offer, however - she did follow through and passed yesterday evening. My husband and I were not aware it would be happening then, we were told after she'd passed. We are very saddened, and don't know how to feel. I am just trying to comfort my husband and our kids during this strange and unsettling time.
My heart goes out to your family.
You will be in my prayers.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Well,
It's really not over yet. There's the funeral and arrangements and the estate that needs to be settled.

Just get your husband talking to you when in private...about anything really. The floodgates will open at some point.

We men are strange creatures...just talking and listening is usually enough. And because we are men you can offer advice. LOL...we aren't women who want men to just let them vent without any advice.