My Lil sister is always trying to be better then I am, Im sick and tired of it.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

aluevano

Hi!!! So I have a sisiter who has always tried to take everything and everyone away from me. if I buy something she gets something better if I make a new friend she tries to draw attention to herself, we've never gotten along, but the worst part is her10 yr old boy is doing the same thing to my boy. What can I do? Ive tried talking to her in the past but she doesn't want to hear it and honestly im really tired of all this. Please help!!

L

letti

She is envious of you so is my sister it's hard I know.She admires you and also sounds jealous.That's a difficult thing.You can pray for her and try to spend some time together just the two of you.Maybe she feels ignored by you and wants attention from you.Sometimes it does help to show them you care love them and they are important to you.This may change her after some time if it is the problem.you will never know unless you try.Give it a shot.

L

letti

The thought, I had on this whole thing is she is trying to get attention from you.I't sounds like she might feel left out,and maybe admires you so she tries to imitate you.

L

letti

Sorry if this doesn't seem like much help.I tried.:)

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Sibling rivalry can continue into adulthood and it can ruin your relationship for the rest of your lives.

Simply decide not to participate in this 'one-upmanship'. Don't worry about the competition. Just do your own thing and ignore what she does. By not reacting to it, she may begin responding in a different way.

We can't control what other people do, we can only control how we react to it. Resentment prevents the Holy Spirit from working in our lives. We have to choose not to be resentful...it takes practice :).

A

aluevano

Thank you all for you're advice. I will ignore it and keep praying. God Bless.

rachelsedge

Oct 15, 2012
She's 10 and she has a boyfriend?

H

hattiebod

Hi!!! So I have a sisiter who has always tried to take everything and everyone away from me. if I buy something she gets something better if I make a new friend she tries to draw attention to herself, we've never gotten along, but the worst part is her10 yr old boy is doing the same thing to my boy. What can I do? Ive tried talking to her in the past but she doesn't want to hear it and honestly im really tired of all this. Please help!!
Look to yourself...we have no control over anyone else, only ourselves. If there is a problem in your relationship, what is it that bothers you? how can anyone 'take things away from you'. Is that really real? is she really doing what you think she is doing? if so....if you think it is real...TALK to her. This has obviously been going on for years, you maybe need to sort it out? As for praying...what are you praying for? her to see the light? to see how wrong she is? Not going to work. We are to be forgiving...as Christ forgives us...so. Look to ourselves...what can we do better, what can we give more of...without...we are called to be sacrificial, not comfortable. Its hard. Its really tough!! but the road with Christ does not have tarmac. Talk. Talk to your sister. Love her openly! she most probably has just has many tangled issues with you :) and she is blessed to have a sister such as you, that loves her, is concerned and wants things to be better, God Bless, Hattie <><

Dec 19, 2009
Perhaps you should ignore her.

P

Powemm

Sounds like she wants your attention and she gets it from your reaction "feeding" her behavior.. that giant can be slayed with time by "responding" to her in a positive way when she isnt doing negative things to gain your attention.. She is "competing" for your time. perhaps invite her to something where its just the two of you where her fear of competing for your attention isnt a factor.. Just a suggestion.. Ill be praying for you

Last edited by a moderator:

sandtigeress

Apr 29, 2013
hm, i am a little sister :)
to me her behaviour makes total sense, a younger sister idiolizes her bis sister sometimes
and tries to be like you, by buying some of the same stuff, but better (so its not obvious and
no copycat) and by liking the same persons.
It is a compliment and not a competition.
As the younger person, one always had to do better, because one was so often not included,
becaue of ones age, but one often wants the big sister as best friend.

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
I, too, am the little sister. For me, it was all about getting attention -- from anyone and anywhere! My sister was the oldest, my brother the only boy, and I, the caboose, lonely and forgotten. So I tried to be the best that I could so someone would notice me.

I, however, grew out of that by becoming my own person and finding my self-worth in Christ. Now, my sister and I are not best friends, but we get along okay. But we are very different people and were she not my sister, we would probably not be friends.

I wouldn't fixate on it -- simply focus on your growth and relationship in Christ. And do the same with your kids.

Oct 31, 2011
Why fight it? She must have a powerful need to feel better about herself than she does. You aren't driven by that need, so if you help her fulfill herself you'll help her and you won't feel threatened. Fighting it won't help either one of you.