My List on How to Get Out of Any Addiction/Sin

• Thread starter ChristianGirlLivingLife
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

ChristianGirlLivingLife

*This could be any addiction or sin (drugs, alcoholism, self-righteousness, pride, insecurity, consumerism, lust, etc.)

1. Acknowledge that it is a sin.
- Always refer to the Bible, rather than the opinions of others. Some interpretations made by people can be wrong. But if the Bible seems confusing, then go to trusted sources to figure out it being a sin. Or you can just know that what you're doing is a sin (you can tell from feeling regret or guilty).
- This is always an important first step. Some people are blinded and don't acknowledge that what they do is sinful, so this is the start to change.

2. Confess your sin.
- Let trusted or wiser Christians know of your whereabouts. This can be difficult, because it is easy to feel guilty. But letting go and opening yourself up, owning up to the sin, is the ultimate way to change. Owning up to it shows you're responsible and you have that desire to change yourself. Opening yourself up will lead to feeling convicted, but at the same time, you will feel freer and not as enslaved to the sin.

3. Make an effort to stop the sin.
- Get rid of the dirt in your life. Don't isolate yourself in an environment where you will feel tempted to sin. If you have urges to go back to the sin, run for the hills! That is Satan trying to lure you back in. God is allowing this to make you a stronger Christian, and wants you to resist those urges. He has better plans for you.

4. Create accountable relationships with others.
- Keep trusted individuals aware with how you're doing in getting over the sin. They will keep you accountable, and when you stumble, let them know and they should be able to help you out.

There are tons and tons of bible verses to back up these steps. I hope that whatever you go through that you resist any temptations, and become aware that God is looking out for you! If you feel like you're at a breaking point in your life, feeling broken, go to God! His arms are wide open, awaiting for your return. He wants to see us succeed as His disciples. I wish you all the best in luck! God has great plans for us all! Please acknowledge that whatever happens, do what is in God's best interest :)

B

brokenclay

Thank you @ChristisnGirlLivingLife. So many Christians fail to heed bible doctrines. Your list is easy to understand. If you were to make pamphlets for new or struggling Christians it would be good to add scripture to each step to re-enforce what you are teaching. Gods word does not return unto him void. I sincerely hope you persue this gift and let God expand your horizons. Blessings, Larry :)

S

storrmie

thats alot easier said than done

C

ChristianGirlLivingLife

thats alot easier said than done
Yeah I agree. The list is something that I personally use to keep myself right with God. So far I've been doing well with it. Unfortunately it is a lot harder for others, mainly depending on the situation and the amount of grief and guilt gained from it. But ultimately we need to trust God, because He gives us enough so that we could handle and overcome.