My non-Christian boyfirend - help??

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

cc11

HI, I decided today that I want to have better relationship with Jesus - I've always had a relationship wth Jesus but now I've just really decided to be devoted

I don't want to do the wrong thing by having a non Christian boyfriend and I fear it's not right because of what it says in the bible about not be unevenly yoked to others.

But i cant stand the thought of breaking up with him. I love my boyfriend so much and can't imagine my life without him. He would do anything for me.

I can't talk to anyone in my family, but should i try talk to someone before I decided to break up.

or should I wait a while to see if he follows in my witness and sees the love of God in me. then becomes saved?

I really need some advice....

shemaiah

Jan 28, 2011
The best thing to do for now will be to consult God in prayer. He is the best person to help you in such a situation. I will be praying for you sister. I think Breaking up with him will just hurt him and disturb any thoughts he had of developing a relationship with Jesus. Try showing him Christs love for him by making him watch movies like passion of the christ, pilgrims progress or stuff like that. Also take him to bible study or stuff like that.

W

wolfywolfs

ask yourself this do you love him do you care for him does he make you happy will dumping him make you sad if you answered yes to these then i think you know the answer the bible says alot of things but no one ever ever ever has followed each rule they just cherry pick and like you say god loves and forgives all and if he cant understand your love for this man then well hes not a very powerful god is he

K

KisDawn

If you really love him then doesn't love conquer all? I don't know I might be naive but I like to think that. ^__^

R

Rheod

Hehe is saved under the circumtances. 1 Cor 7 13-14

L

loveasaweapon

cc11--

I think it is a more serious question to consider before you marry. I agree with Shemaiah on prayer. Right now I would say that the most important thing is that your relationship with your boyfriend doesn't conflict with your relationship with Jesus. Is he neutral or encouraging with your faith (even if he doesn't have it himself)--that's good. Or is he hostile towards Christianity and discourages you--obviously that would be bad. Even if he were saved, God needs to come first--it's only through putting Him first that we can fully love others anyway.

L

loveasaweapon

Hehe is saved under the circumtances. 1 Cor 7 13-14
Rheod--

That is not what is being said here. Even if it was, it's referring to a husband and wife living under the same roof, so wouldn't apply to cc11's situation. We are saved by grace through faith (Eph 2:8,9). That faith is personal--it comes from God to us. We have to be careful to interpret difficult passages in light of those that are easier to understand, and not the other way around. Peter says himself that some of the things Paul said were hard to understand (2 Peter 3:15-16). Here in 1 Corinthians to be sanctified is not the same as to be saved from sin and death.

Jun 20, 2010
There's two ways of looking at the unevenly yoked clause, the new international version interprets it as all non-believer-believer relationships, the KJV has implications it depends on how views are being forced (doesn't say, but thats one interpretation).

If I was a christian, i'd interpret this as its not advised due to 'influences that can occur', but not law,. When already in relationships, there's more backing in its clauses to maintain the relationship. 1 Peter 3:1-7 somewhere.

Oct 31, 2009
U dont have to break up luv. :) God is good. God's love never fails. He lives inside of u. Let ur BF feel that love. And someday he would accept Jesus cus he would see Jesus reflecting through u. If he cant see Jesus in u.. then He isnt the right one for u. Give this guy a chance to meet Jesus through u.. <3 bless u

J

Jimmy47

I don't think you should break up with your boyfriend just because he doesn't believe in god. If you really love him and he really loves you then that's all that matters! Im sure god would want you to do what makes you happy! :)

J

jimmydiggs

Bible is pretty clear on the before-marriage issue. Thomas did a pretty good exposition.

2 Cor 6 said:
Warning Against Idolatry

14Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial[b]? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said:

&#8220;I will live with them
and walk among them,
and I will be their God,
and they will be my people.&#8221;[c]
17 Therefore,
&#8220;Come out from them
and be separate,
says the Lord.
Touch no unclean thing,
and I will receive you.&#8221;[d]
18 And, &#8220;I will be a Father to you,
and you will be my sons and daughters,
says the Lord Almighty.&#8221;[e]

Mar 21, 2011
Don't break up with your boyfriend. Show him love.

Be a Christian example to him.

I find that people are inspired to convert, instead of being forced.

If you can show him a good example of the Christian walk, then I believe he will be inspired to be a Christian.

Being a Christian includes self love, self respect. These things in themselves are powerful and inspiring to others.

T

TDWP22

If he doesnt convert and tries to take you away from God u should leave him

L

loveasaweapon

If he doesnt convert and tries to take you away from God u should leave him
Agreed.

Im sure god would want you to do what makes you happy!
I don't think that is biblical at all

HI, I decided today that I want to have better relationship with Jesus
cc11--again I would say that the point where it becomes an issue is the point where your boyfriend begins to negatively affect your relationship with God.

K

Khorib2

If you break up with him on the basis that he does not convert to your religion... you WILL break his heart, and you will also damage his perception of Christianity. However, if you cannot stand for the idea that he may never convert to your religion, then end it now for both of your sakes. If you cannot love him for who he is, as he is, then you need to let him go.

A

annie123

Maybe you can start by praying for him... let him see through you, that Jesus lives in you! :)