Navigating the divide as you raise kids in the truth while they reckon with the world

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

38miles

I have three children: two boys and a girl, all single digits. We do not have any television, network or cable, running into the house. We have Netflix streaming on the TV and available on computers and other devices. They are all locked for kid use only. All computers are tightened up as well.

This evening my youngest put a movie on and we were all sitting in the room. I heard a character say, "Just watching sex and violence, ya know," and I got up and paused it. "Whoa. Whoa. What are we watching here." So it turns out it is 'Paranorman' -- a dark animated film. I checked its review on Christian Spotlight (please use this everyone) and it was listed as 'Offensive' with an obvious rationale. So I pulled it much to the dismay of the lil whiners. Now...it is animated and there may have been a few other iffy lines I there, but I pulled it. It was my oldest I'm most worried about, especially with all the innuendo in movies these days. But I don't know how far is too far.

...the following shows have been disallowed by me or their mother: Jessie, Kick'n It, Ant farm, Wizards of whatever, and a bunch of others. I actually hate Disney and Nickelodeon and I am deathly afraid we're going to start seeing openly gay characters on kids' shows. I've just opened a whole nother can of crazy sleeplessness with that sentence, so forget that for now.

The question I'm asking is: How do we navigate this divide? There are so many shows to research, test, and even know about. How do we cover all that? How do we tell our kids that they can't watch stuff when the pastor's kids can? Or other friends at school or in church? Don't get me wrong, I'm not budging on core things, but I'm afraid of being too harsh and fueling some type of disdain for our faith and my convictions. I mean...all I had was 'Saved by the Bell' growing up. There are like a million different TV shows like that in the 21st century and they're all innuendo and borderline sexy.

Lord help us.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
While I applaud your conviction and termination in your parenting, aren't you worried about sheltering them too much? I mean what happens when they leave your house and are confronted with this world they have no answer too, because instead of being taught about it and dealing with if they were hidden away from it?

Fenner

Jan 26, 2013
My kids don't watch a ton of TV, both of my children like Sponge Bob and the Garfield show and my daughter likes My Little Pony, my son likes Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, my son who is 8 also like's Jeopardy. You just have to take it show by show, and see what you think. There is one channel that has a show called Family Game Night, both of my kids like that.

Try doing some research on the internet and see what you can find.

N

nimbus3852

N

Nancyer

I'm sorry but it sounds like too much sheltering to me too. Children don't need to see a lot of what's out there but hiding them from everything isn't realistic. My kids and I talk about where I draw the line and why. (they are older than yours, 14 & 18, but it's always been this way).

And I have to remember that I read every book by Stephen King since I was in high school. Didn't turn me into a demon or serial killer or devil worshiper. If they have a sound understanding of what's allowed and what's not and why, and they feel they can come to you with questions then I think that's safer and healthier than no exposure at all.

N

Nancyer

One more thing, all shows aren't borderline sexy and inuendo. Check out History Channel, my son loves it and has since he was about 10. Very interesting and educational shows. Discovery channel, TLC, these channels can spark an interest in them, subjects they want to learn more about.

Just a suggestion, hope this helps.