NEED ADVICE

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 17, 2022
SO far, I've mainly posted threads asking for advice on here, but I figure this is a good place to go for it!
Here's my question: I recently signed my son up for soccer through the rec. department. He loves it. He's only been to a few practices so far, but he's naturally good at it! I love being involved in it with him.

All that to say.. there is a boy on his team who has "two moms". My son just turned 7. He hasn't asked any questions about it, and I have not tried to explain, because I didn't want to introduce that concept to him too early. (Praise the Lord, my son has recently made a profession of faith, and we are planning to get him baptized!) Like I said, I don't even know if he's noticed that there are two moms together.. but I am unsure as to whether I should address it with him and explain to him on a age appropriate level that God views that as a sin, or wait for him to ask me. I'd hate for him to get these answers from an unbeliever.

So I guess my question is When and How??

notmyown

May 26, 2016
what does your husband think? if it were me, i'd start there.

so happy your boy has found an activity he enjoys! prayers for Him for the Lord's protection, not primarily in body, but mind and spirit. wish i could be at his baptism. i do love seeing God's children baptized. :)

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
SO far, I've mainly posted threads asking for advice on here, but I figure this is a good place to go for it!
Here's my question: I recently signed my son up for soccer through the rec. department. He loves it. He's only been to a few practices so far, but he's naturally good at it! I love being involved in it with him.

All that to say.. there is a boy on his team who has "two moms". My son just turned 7. He hasn't asked any questions about it, and I have not tried to explain, because I didn't want to introduce that concept to him too early. (Praise the Lord, my son has recently made a profession of faith, and we are planning to get him baptized!) Like I said, I don't even know if he's noticed that there are two moms together.. but I am unsure as to whether I should address it with him and explain to him on a age appropriate level that God views that as a sin, or wait for him to ask me. I'd hate for him to get these answers from an unbeliever.

yes, address it now. if you don't someone will in the wrong way. his head could be filled with ungodly information before you tell him then he'll have toe condition his brain. tell him now of this godless behavior & how people in government say it's okay. just as a mom warns her daughters constantly, you do so now. the world is waxing worse & worse & that tells you all the more, NOW IS THE TIME!

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021

If you attend church, make sure it's one that teaches the whole truth about sin; not in a hateful way though. You might also have a regular Bible reading and discussion at home with your family where you can teach your values to your children and give them an opportunity to ask questions.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013

I sympathize with your situation.

Your son is truly a babe in Christ. As such, my advice would be to take a broader, preemptive approach.

Something along the lines of:

" You know We praise God for your decision to follow Jesus. Jesus had to come because all of us lost our way and do, and did things that make Him sad. You will see others do things that may confuse you, that inside tells you are wrong. They are broken and hurting people that may not even be aware of their need for Jesus. So we need to show Jesus to them with our love, while NOT agreeing with the things they do. Now let's pray for them!'

Be Blessed, and I hope the Lord gives you wisdom in this regard.

Mar 2, 2024
This is my first post. This is a common issue with my adult children and grandchildren. Definitely get ahead of it! Come with love and the Lord will guide your words.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Well now is as good a time as any. You need not use the word "sin" for his age. However you could address this as follows: "John (or whatever his name is) do you know the difference between right and wrong?" Chances are he would "Yes". "Do you know God tells us what is right and what is wrong?" Chances are he would also say "Yes". "Then you should know that God says it is wrong for anyone to have two moms, or two dads. God made us so that there would be only one mom and one dad for anyone, and they should always be together". And leave it at that.

Mar 4, 2024

I’d just wait till he brings it up. And the. Just tell him that some people live like that. I wouldn’t go too much into depth over it. If you feel tension there, then fast for a day or so and ask God to work it out.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
The difficulty as i see it is the boys age.. 7.. I think PennEd's advice on the kind of statement to say to him is the most appropriate for His age..

PennEd Said: " You know We praise God for your decision to follow Jesus. Jesus had to come because all of us lost our way and do, and did things that make Him sad. You will see others do things that may confuse you, that inside tells you are wrong. They are broken and hurting people that may not even be aware of their need for Jesus. So we need to show Jesus to them with our love, while NOT agreeing with the things they do. Now let's pray for them!'
But until your son reaches the age where he has some understanding of sexual relationships any statements directly about the 2 moms will probably go over His head and he will be wondering Why the 2 moms situation is actually wrong..

But yeah you need to say something because in the modern schooling system some woke teacher will get in first and indoctrinate you son into ""celebrating"" the 2 mom situation before you have the chance to plant a Seed from God on the issue..

So again as PennEd said:: Be Blessed, and I hope the Lord gives you wisdom in this regard.

Godsgirl1983

Feb 2, 2023
For my children (who have recently hit tween and teen years) the conversation came up when they were between 6-9 years old. They began to take notice of the increase of pride symbols everywhere and referred to the covenant rainbow from Noah's Ark. We talked about how God made Adam and Eve (a man and a woman, and that is God's design), how the world is full of people who don't know or know of the one true God, or people who know but choose not to obey Him. And just slightly touched (at that time) how some people think it's okay for 2 men or 2 women to try and mate but that is not Gods design (at that point it was spring. We live in a very wooded area, and we were seeing all the wildlife around us in acts of God designed mating rituals, so that was something natural they could relate to knowing the male and female animals "mate" and had babies without getting into sex ed talks at that time)
At that time, it was enough for them to know and understand without getting into graphic details.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia

I don't see any need to point out the other boys messed up home life. Howe er, it's age appropriate to talk to him about the proper family structure right now. You can start in Genesis just like Jesus did when He said,

"6But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female".
Mark 10

Children should continue to be taught the Biblical distinctions between men and women as is appropriate as they get more mature. If you have a wife who will home school your boy and supervise so that he's not at risk of the pervs, there should be no problem in that department.

I would later teach about the problems with divorce and how blessed he is to have a Mom and Dad to raise him in his Christian home. These things can be taught as they can understand rather than waiting until they've already been persuaded by the world views. Television and pop culture will be another challenger for the mind of your child.

Mar 24, 2024

Our children are going to be exposed to situations that are in opposition to God's design. This is happening more and more at an early age. As a teacher and a follower of Jesus, I believe it is important to talk to our children about words, actions, and lifestyles that are not the best of what God would want for us. Pray for God's timing. You are modeling Jesus here. Jesus brought truth and grace, truth and mercy. Equip your child with the truth and also the ability to love all people. Equip your child with the truth and how to pray for people. How do you help your child become an ambassador for Christ? It is important for your child to know, that all of us fall short of the glory of God. That we all sin, but that as Christians we have, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, who has saved us from our sin and adopted us into His family. I am not minimizing the sin, that you can see, that is apparent, but I believe we have gone astray by over emphasizing one sin over another. All people sin, but we have Jesus. Praise the One, who set me free. I hope this is helpful.