Need marriage advice

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
O

Orion215

I've been married for only 5 months. My husband and I knew who each other were for about 4 years but didn't know each other that well. We got together a year ago and it was a whirlwind engagement and matrimony. What I knew going into this marriage is that he is an alcoholic and he lies about it. He told me that himself and it has been my experience. This is my first marriage and his 4th. He came with an 11 year old daughter who's never had a mother before and already looks up to me and respects me. I have no intention of walking away from this family. Already I imagine you are judging me and thinking I was stupid in the first place to marry an alcoholic who's been divorced 3 times already. That doesn't matter now and I wouldn't change it if I could. I still love him with my whole heart and I want this marriage to work, as does he. Despite being an alcoholic there is no abuse directed at me or his daughter. He is not violent when drunk or in withdrawals (and of course not sober either.) What I need wisdom with is my own attitude toward him when certain things happen. I can't talk to anyone close to me because I do my best to maintain other's respect of my husband at all times and asking for help would only tarnish that persons view of my husband because of what I would have to reveal.

The biggest issue is his drinking of course and I know that everything stems from that. That I have accepted and try to support him on his ever going quest to quit. I financed two rehabs for him. The first he stayed for the full month and got sober. He only managed to stay sober for a month after that. Then he agreed to go back but only stayed two weeks, after which he was only able to stay sober for two week. Please understand that I am not the one forcing him to quit drinking. I will do things to help him when he asks for it, otherwise I do things to protect the family. he wants badly to quit. He hates his drinking, he hates the prison of addiction. His last counselor told me she'd never seen anyone with as strong of an addiction as he has. For the most part he is an honest person. He only lies about his drinking. Which I am finding can extend into a broader area around drinking. He is driven by alcohol. Most of what he does seems to be done as a way or means to get alcohol. He is only in his early 40s but his liver is already so bad that just before the last rehab, the last time I took him to ER for detox the doctor told me he doesn't have another recovery in him. He was that close to death. I do not want to become a co-dependent. I am concerned for my husband's health and the wellbeing of his daughter if he should drink himself to death. How do I respond to these situations in love without becoming controlling? In times of sobriety he asks me for help. But when I help he becomes angry that I am controlling.

I work full time. He is unemployed but still brings in an income because of a separate disability that is not a result of or affected by his drinking. His income is less than mine. Because he is often out of commission on a drinking binge I am the responsible one who manages our finances and pays the bills, but because he is the stay at home spouse he needs access to the finances to buy the groceries and manage the household. The problem with this is that with access to our accounts he manages to spend upward of $500 a month on booze when he's in a drinking spell. At $35,000 a year for a family of 3 you can imagine how we can't afford that. Last month when it got out of control I took away his debit card and gave him a cash allowance so he wouldn't over spend again. In addition to spending the $100 he also got a credit card and charged over $200 on it in just 7 days. before he got the card he borrowed money from his daughter (her allowance from previous months) told her it was for food but spent it on booze and then paid her back. He lied to me about it and made her lie to me about it. All for booze. He lied to me about where he got the money for different things I saw he had bought. I'm already trying to pay off 2 credit cards we had from our wedding and buying a second car from a friend so I could drive myself to work again, plus extensive medical bills he's incurred from numerous visits to the ER and Urgent Care from even before I met him, plus the rehab... I could go on. I had a plan that would get us out of all that debt in two years but now he's added another credit card to that and I'm very frustrated. I don't know how to approach him about his lying to me. I don't know what my attitude should be. I don't believe he will stop lying. We have fought a lot lately because of his drinking and finances and his lying to me. I just want a happy marriage and a stable environment for his daughter. How can I deal with this in a Christ like manner?

B

Bazman

Hi,

Firstly, I am not going to judge you so don't worry on that I don't want to add to all the problems you are having at the moment. I can see you love this man dearly and want this marriage to work. The problem is the drink. I don't know from what you are saying is he a christian too who has fallen into the addiction of alcohol? Just intrigued as to where he sits with all this.

What I think you firstly need to do is pray and pray a lot get God into this situation. It is important that God can help now you might think I am not helping and trying to dodge the questions. However, your situation needs some real divine intervention. God can deal with any situation and can work for what is best.

The other thing God can do is help break strongholds like which your husband has. The addiction of alcohol this addiction is so strong on him that he will lie and even steal from you to feed it. However, he really needs to see exactly how much it is hurting you. I pray and this is for you and him that you seek God and then counselling proper Christian marriage councelling. If he sees how much he is hurting and draining you and realises just how much damage his alcoholism does there maybe hope for change but he has to WANT to do this. So hence I pray for God to bring that break through.

I know of people who have had alcoholism and have lied and hurt their partners. I have a friend at work who isn't a christian and she ended up leaving her husband as she tried everything like you but her partner didn't want to face upto the damage he was causing and she in the end just gave up and left him. However, I am not for one minute suggesting you should do the same just saying that I know of someone who has faced this issue. However, she didn't have God, this is something you do have.

The first time I found out about her situation is when she told me she was leaving him. For you though, I would like to pray for you if I may.

Dear Lord, Thank you for the honesty of my dear sister Orion. I pray for her husband in Jesus' name that you can break the strongholds in his life. The destruction that drink has caused in his life the damaged relationships he has had. I pray that you can be close to him and to Orion and I pray that you can reach his heart. Help him listen to your voice. Help him to realise the damage he is causing not just himself but his wife and his daughter. I pray that you will help him seek you and you will put people in their area that will speak your word to them and help break these strongholds in your strength. Indeed I pray that you will be there every second of the way. Lord we cannot do anything in our own strength but only in yours but we need to be willing to listen and to let you take control. I pray therefore that Orion and her husband will let you take the reigns and I pray that they will follow you through this path as I know you want to get this man out of his addiction.

In Jesus' name amen.

M

mamasan

Since your husband's health is so precarious, and you are concerned about the welfare of the child, I would suggest that you take steps to adopt her. You said she's "never had a mother before and already looks up to me and respects me." She might be taken away from you if you have no legal status. For your husband, prayer is all that will work. I will be remembering you and your family in prayer.

O

Orion215

Thank you Bazman, I appreciate the encouragement. He is a Christian, and he has felt strong conviction from the Spirit to stop drinking. He has been unable to do so, however. We have prayed together, he has prayed with our pastor and other leaders in the church. We have gone to support group meetings but often he finds excuses not to go. I have tried not asking about it, because it seems he cannot tell me the truth. He tells his mom he is in trouble before he tells me, which is usually never because she will tell me as soon as he tells her. He is too ashamed to tell me. I will be more in prayer though, and try not to be angry, because it does make me angry. I know I don't understand though because I've never had an addiction myself. I've never known what it's like to have that strong pull. Temptation is one kind of pull, but addiction is much worse than temptation.

J

J-Kay-2

My daughter was an alcoholic. Sounds so much like her story. Difference is
she lived on her own. Lost her 2 children to their father. Was in rehab twice.
She believed in Jesus also. But, like your husband, she simply could not be
stronger than the drink.

She was told her liver was damaged. However it was said it could regenerate
itself and was when she wasn't drinking. I know that makes no sense, but I
say that to say if your husband would quit, he can survive, possibly, early death.

I agree with the other lady about the adoption. I don't know what it costs to
adopt, but sounds like good advice. However, where is her mother anyway ?
I don't mean that to sound nasty, it just occurred to me.

God bless you and I think of the quote, " He never gives us more than we can bear."
However, the main scripture I prefer to give you is to keep doing what you came
for. Allow others to help you carry this burden. Christ is also saying "Your burden
is heavy, but the yoke is light." as long as you allow Him to help you carry this
with you.

I too, will be praying for you. I wish we could say this is going to end soon, but
no one knows the future but we do know WHO holds the future. As long as you
keep in tune to the Lord and listen to Him through the Word or prayer, you will
be guided in the right direction.

How does one make an alcoholic not love it ? I could not help my daughter.
No one can make them quit. Only God holds that key.

It makes me so angry when I see alcohol commercials on TV.... everywhere
we turn... Maybe this is why he keeps slipping back.. it is right there every
day luring them, like a seductive demon.

The Lord bless you and please keep us posted on how it is going and
when you need prayers. My heart goes out to you... and it goes out to him.
My daughter hated herself and fought so hard against it. I really feel if we
all join and agree satan will lose control over the demon of alcohol, it will
weaken the desire. That is what we can pray for.

I ask the Father to bless you and give you the peace and all answers
you need and keep you safe from all harm. Amen.

eddie1801

Jun 9, 2013
Hello:

First of all , welcome to CC. I can see by your profile, that you are new here, and I just wanted to say, this is a great place to receive godly wisdom. I wanted to ask did you know about his alcoholism before you married him. However, I re-read your post and you said you did. Not trying to be judgmental ,but I am wondering what was your assumption about being married to a person who is an alcoholic? I want to encourage you, (and I will) ,but we have to be honest with ourselves. Did you guys attend pre-maritial counseling? What advice did you receive? However, I wont dwell on that since you are already married. This man definitely has a stronghold in his life. I would like to tell you that things will get better, but we dont know only God knows. You cannot control his actions, but there are some "positives" in this situation. This may come from left field but here the deal. As we go thru trials in life, sometimes we have to stop and "smell the roses" on our journey. Here are the positives in your situation.
1. You have a new step daughter that you can influence, raise, and love. You can be a great mother/mentor to her. You can spend your energy making this child the best person she can be and create the stable environment for her.
2. You can use your experience to help someone else out, a person going through this same ordeal can look to you for advice in the same situation. Experience is the best teacher,and who knows, you may be able to bring someone to God based on a shared experience. You may develop a new friendship with someone based upon past share experience.
3. Focus on God, and not the problem. When we take our focus of the problem and focus on God..things tend to work out in your favor.
4. A closer walk with God. When we go thru trials, this makes our walk with him closer. Spend time fasting and in worship. Again worshiping god, brings God into the situation.

In closing, you do desire to provide a stable environment for the daughter,and that can be accomplished. You can definitely accomplish that. Hope everything works out for you.

B

brokenclay

Before I read the other comments. I would like to say you are an amazing and wonderful woman. This guy you married is one very blessed man. And his daughter is blessed to have someone with the courage to love her daddy and believe in him. At least you know him for what he is. And you are letting God use you to show this young girl what Love is. Bless you with sisters in Christ who will get on board with you to make this man the husband God called him to be. Sincerely, Larry :)

H

hazelli

I'd like to encourage you to hang in there with God and a group of close godly friends who can pray with you through this time. Addiction could be a generation curse and I was told lasts up to 3 generations... But with Christ all things are possible. So pray, fast and obey God on how to manage this. Remember also that in this journey, there will be times when both of you will take two steps forward, and three steps back, so press on even if you have hit a snag... We can't deny that once he cuts off drinking, he would forever not hear it calling his name some months later.. it would be an ongoing fight for him, but each time he resists his thoughts and desire to return to drinking, he would get stronger and better at resisting it... so help him along the way with words or encouragement when he does well. Remember that God is with all of you. Do not give up in God.

May God keep you strong in the mind and the will with words of power that convicts and strengthen your husband's resolve to overcome alcohoism. May God also grant your husband the strength to move away from his addiction to find something healthier to do. Help him to cast his weakness in Christ and emerge a stronger person in Him. Amen.

God bless.

S

Sirk

I have to ask....what is it in you that was willing to accept an unhealthy attachment to alcohol. Please understand that I am not judging you. There is usually some unhealthy attribute that we all overlook in a spouse. To give you a bit of a clue....it is usually something from our family of origin.

Apr 26, 2014
if he has a long enough time of sobriety and the desire to stop, they make drugs (medications) that alcoholics can take that supposedly makes the alcohol so unpleasant it's worse than drinking. i know someone whose wife died after a drinking binge (they were both hard core alcoholics) and when she died he asked for the drug. but he still goes to AA every day (i think). i don't know enough about it but it might be worth a try.

J

J-Kay-2

She wrote this in February. I don't know if she has come back in
to check for more advice. But, all of you have valid points. I came
to see if she had an update. Just keep her in prayer. I especially
agree with a couple of comments. One it can be generational. Takes
strong Christians to pray through the powers that be. Then she
did mention he is a Christian. So that means he is a believer and we
can only pray he will go to get Christian help, not what the world
gives. My daughter went to secular re-hab and she was a believer,
but... for her she knew who that higher power was..... God.... for
the many others in group ? AS they are told.. whatever you proclaim
your higher power to be. [ sorry, that's was a rant ].....

The other point made sense.....the family origin she maybe had been
exposed to before ? I pray she is okay and will come back and let us
know how she is. Praying*** Lord, Jesus please keep Your daughter
in Your tender loving care and lead her on the right path. Amen ***