Needed for spiritual growth 8. Spiritual Truth. 1 Timothy 2:4

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
"..........who wants everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth."

Pontius Pilate asked, "What is Truth?" He did not realise that the Truth was standing in front of him. We could rephrase the verse to read "Come to the knowledge of Jesus". Many Christians think that the Bible is the ultimate source of truth. I disagree. Jesus is the whole "Logos", i.e. the Word of God. (John 1:1). If what we are studying does not reveal something more of Jesus to us, then we are gaining information but not coming to the knowledge of the truth.

Some like to study prophecy. I read a fair amount of posts that argue about various interpretations. Decades ago, I learned about the historicist point of view, the futurists, pre, post and amillenialism. It was interesting but I found little spiritual value. Like now, many Christians were saying that the end of the world was just ahead, that Kissinger was the Antichrist, the USSR was about to start WW3. In the 1960's we had the Cuba crisis where again, WW3 was about to start and the end was nigh. Forgive me if I say I've heard it all before. However, it is worse now than then, so maybe the doomsayers are right.

This much I have learned: Jesus came to set the captives free. I also know how He does it. It is truth that sets us free. (John 8:31 & 32). This was a shocking statement to the Jews. They had been enslaved on and off (mostly on) for hundreds of years. God had quit speaking until John the Baptist was raised up. Yet the Jews refused to acknowledge that they were not free. Only those who acknowlege their lack can receive God's help.

Back to prophecy for a moment. Revelation 19:10 has this to say: "Then I fell down at his feet to worship him, but he [stopped me and] said to me, “You must not do that; I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers and sisters who have and hold the testimony of Jesus. Worship God [alone]. For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy [His life and teaching are the heart of prophecy].” (Amplified Bible)

It helps to know the difference between the "Logos" and the "rhema" when considering God's word. Jesus is the "Logos", the total and complete revelation of God. The Greek word "rhema" means literally unveiling. Artists would hide their work behind a curtain. When the work was complete, they would draw the curtain in order to reveal the finished work. How often Christians have read a verse a dozen times before they saw the true meaning.

Another way at looking at the difference was explained to me by a Greek Orthodox Christian. He said that the "logos" was like the armoury where every weapon was stored. The "rhema" is like an individual weapon. If we are in need financially, quoting "by His stripes you were healed" is not appropriate. We should rather be saying, "My God shall supply my every need according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Both are God's word, but only one is applicable to our circumstance at time.

How do we come to the knowledge of the truth? How can God's word be more than just information? God Himself provides the answer. If we ask, He will give us the Spirit of Wisdom and Revelation. (Ephesians 1:17).

It is possible, sadly, to have a great deal of information but not a lot of revelation. Information is useful for the mind. I won't go into it now, but the mind can be like a "restore" program when everything seems to have crashed. Revelation, on the other hand, is for the spirit. The words Jesus spoke are spirit and life (John 6:63).

If you want to grow as a Christian, truth is essential. It is not just knowledge about a subject, but a living reality in the inner man. When we know the truth to that extent, nothing can take it away from us. And we are on the way to freedom.

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
It is possible, sadly, to have a great deal of information but not a lot of revelation
Good point.
- I agree.
---
We often focus on..'information'..too much.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
It is possible, sadly, to have a great deal of information but not a lot of revelation. Information is useful for the mind. I won't go into it now, but the mind can be like a "restore" program when everything seems to have crashed. Revelation, on the other hand, is for the spirit. The words Jesus spoke are spirit and life (John 6:63).
So true.

It is easy to know what the scriptures say but, since many have not applied it to their own lives, they do not know what the scriptures mean. Such people love controversy and squabbling, always quoting "Study to shew thyself approved" (ironically, "study" in this verse means "apply the words to your own life"). Always doubting and casting doubt on others. By this, they besmirch their own elders to their detriment, yet remain insulated from conviction by their enlarged souls.

"...he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth..."