negative thinking for no reason

• Thread starter India_FearingGod_Hawkins
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Would you give a homeless person at an intersection money if you had it?

• They might spend the money on junk food and beer/liquor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Why give it to'em if they can't handle spending money right...there is a reason why they're homeless

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I

India_FearingGod_Hawkins

I for some reason daydream of negative scenarios and i've done this for a long time. I wish i knew how to get away from this completely. I used to be more pessimistic than this....im getting better over time. I do understand that what is suggested to me wont fix everything overnight. Can someone specifically help me with each area of my problem. Specification #1) WHY I daydream about being in bitter, hurtful struggling type of situations #2) Why is it so hard for me to stop doing this? #3) How can I completely get away from this way of thinking once and for all...what process do I under-go to make this change that I deem as huge?
PLEASE HELP AS THIS MEANS ALOT TO ME! I BELIEVE IT'S STRESSING ME IN A VERY SUBTLE WAY BUT RARELY I GET SAD BECAUSE OF IT. BUT TYPICALLY I DONT FEEL SAD BECAUSE OF THE DAYDREAMS...I just sit and daydream of random not so happy stuff :-( Any help is surely appreciated *(-,-)*

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
I don't know why you do this, but my guess would be a desire to be ready for anything... as in, if you can visualize the things that might go wrong, you can have a plan about how to deal with the situations. Even though the situations will likely never happen.

I'd imagine, then, that it's hard for you to stop because it's human nature to want to control things. To have plans put in place, to be ready for anything. But the truth is that we can't be ready for anything.

To stop, I would suggest giving the thoughts to God, whenever they come up. And when they come up again, give them back to Him. Here are a few verses about what I'm saying:

"casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you."

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

"You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you."

"whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

Just tell God that you're giving Him those thoughts (because He said you could, after all.) and ask Him to fill you with His perfect peace, instead of stress and worry.

Finally, don't forget to be thankful! "With thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Spend some time thanking Him for what's going on in your life, and try to make it a habit. If you start with one thing that you're thankful for, it will likely remind you of another, and another... :)

God bless.

S

SHINY707

Thoughts are very important. I personally believe in the power of thoughts .Many spiritual battles are often fought through our thoughts. Its important to guard our thoughts.I think you should try to resist those thoughts and try to train your mind to think about good things . I think you should fight it off .

Prayer can help you a lot, please don't let those thoughts to take any sort of authority over your life.
God bless.

U

Ugly

Reminds me of my friend who is a 'worst case scenario' type. She says shes just trying to 'be prepared', or as she puts its 'have all my ducks in a row', but the reality is she seeks out the worst possible outcome, accepts the concept as fact and good as already happened, and operates in that situation with this mindset. I think often times its a defense mechanism, if you expect the worst, then when it happens you aren't let down by hoping for the best and not getting it.
I've noticed self esteem seems to play a part in this kind of thinking as well.

Really, a few things i'd suggest is start with your self esteem and building it up. Also maybe look into learning about cognitive therapy. There are even 'for dummies' books on the subject that may be helpful. Last, sometimes we just have to take control of our thoughts. When you find yourself thinking these things just stop the thought, maybe replace the negative thoughts on the subject with a more positive spin. Sometimes its just a conscious effort that does it.

Even seen a picture of a brain? See how is has all those lines and paths? Those are formed by our thoughts. Its like a river bed forming. Lets say you have a stretch of flat land. Water starts flooding down it, the flat land starts forming an indentation in the ground, the more the water passes through the deeper the indentation. Eventually it becomes a small creek, over time it gets later, deeper until one day you have a 15 foot deep river. Your brain works the same way, the land is your brain, the water your thoughts. The more you allow yourself to think in a certain pattern the deeper the indentation into your brain. The deeper the indentation, the less control you have as your mind starts to follow a path, and at the same time increase the depth of that path.
Now, you can change the direction of the water (your thoughts), but the longer you allow a thought process the deeper the path and the harder it becomes to change it. But it is possible. This is what you have to do with your brain, you have to redirect it from the path you created to a new one. It takes time and hard work and patience, but keep going at it.

Jul 24, 2010
Rather than just giving them money I'd offer to buy them food as well as give them some cash. What they do with the money is their own business, but I can at least ensure they got something in their stomach one way or another.