new christian... where to start?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

bhoward467

Hello, I'm just after some advice. Where is the best place to start reading the Bible. Already a church member but have no.other guidance or family that love Jesus. Are there any good reading plans ect

shrimp

Aug 28, 2011
My great grandfather says that John is the easiest to understand.
If you want to read the Bible in a year, My church uses the BREAD(Bible Reading Enriches Any Day) program. This year we are reading it in chronological order.... Lots of fun :)

B

biscuit

Hello, I'm just after some advice. Where is the best place to start reading the Bible. Already a church member but have no.other guidance or family that love Jesus. Are there any good reading plans ect
Just read both OT & NT Bibles are you can't go wrong. Many Christians read bits & pieces along the way and get lost.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Start with the gospel of John then go to the epistle of Romans. You ought to read the Psalms and Proverbs as time allows. I would advise you to not only read but study them carefully. Not important how much or how quickly you read through but how much you learn about what you read.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

B

bhoward467

I've read John and Mark and read through bits at a time but how to you mean study. How do I do this alone, where do I go for help when I don't understand it have questions. I did a Christianity explored course last year on the gospel of Mark. Which was great but it's all finished and there's nothing else. I'm the newest at my church.(been there a year now) and I have the littlest knowledge on the bible ect. I yearn to learn more. I need to if that makes sense. But I'm lost.

shrimp

Aug 28, 2011
I've read John and Mark and read through bits at a time but how to you mean study. How do I do this alone, where do I go for help when I don't understand it have questions. I did a Christianity explored course last year on the gospel of Mark. Which was great but it's all finished and there's nothing else. I'm the newest at my church.(been there a year now) and I have the littlest knowledge on the bible ect. I yearn to learn more. I need to if that makes sense. But I'm lost.
You need someone to do a Bible study with you. Is there no one from your church who will do such a thing?

B

bhoward467

I.start with someone in September, we were going through John verse by verse, got to the woman at the well and she had family problems and stopped in October. And not started up again.

shrimp

Aug 28, 2011
Have you asked her if you guys will start up again?

B

bhoward467

Yes,and she did say after Christmas but I didn't want to push it because she had her granddaughter twice a.week and other commitments. Not sure how I should approach her.

Dec 29, 2013
One of the keys to understanding scripture, prophecy especially, is to acknowledge the distinction between the house of Israel and the house of Judah. If one assumes that all Israelites were Jews (i.e., Judahites), as the religious establishment would have us believe, one cannot correctly interpret much of scripture. www.truthinhistory.org is a good source for beginners. It will show the connection between the lost (and found) ten tribes of Israel and non-Jew Israelites called "Gentiles" in the New Testament epistles. Good luck.

shrimp

Aug 28, 2011
Yes,and she did say after Christmas but I didn't want to push it because she had her granddaughter twice a.week and other commitments. Not sure how I should approach her.
Ask her if it's ok to have another Bible study. If she has too heavy a burden, as if she knows someone available. Make sure to be more gentle, understanding, and sympathetic than how I put it, though.

Dec 29, 2013
Start with a correct understanding of the history of Israel, of the people of the book. The Bible was written to, for, and about Abraham's descendants (through Isaac and Jacob only). Go to 2 Kings 16:6. In it is the first application of "Jews" in scripture. It will tell you that Israel was fighting---with the Jews (i.e., with the Judah portion of Israel). Then, read of the seventh and sixth century BC invasions and deportations of Israel (by the Assyrians), and of Judah (by the Babylonians). The ten tribes, or house of Israel did, and would not return. A remnant only (42,000) of two tribed Judah returned. It was they who became the community of Israelites who populated Palestine when Jesus was born among them. Thus it was that when Jesus began his ministry most Israelites were outside of Palestine, and had been for hundreds of years. They were referred to by Christ as "the lost sheep of the house of Israel," and "other sheep I have which are not of this fold" (John 10:16), and by the Pharisees as "...the dispersed among the Gentiles" (John 7:35). Called "Gentiles" in Paul's epistles these non-Jew Israelites were north and west of Palestine, in the Mediterranean area and well into Europe in the first century. James, writing to these Christian Israelites, addressed his letter to "...the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad" (James 1:1). Your pastor does not know this, or if he does will not admit it.

Last edited:

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
It's very sad that there is no one else in your church willing to do a one-on-one discipleship with you. I would ask your pastor if he could recommend someone else. You truly need this.

However, if it were not to occur, I like the "Be" series books by Warren Wiersbe. These are great studies that are neither too simplistic nor too intellectual. Take a look at Be Joyful (his study in Philippians). I really enjoyed that one. He has a study for every NT book and many of the OT ones as well.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
One Bible study I would recommend that you can go through yourself or in a group is "Experiencing God" by Henry Blackaby.
It is topical, but it really shows you how to get close to God.

There are numerous Bible studies available on-line that you could follow. I was told when I was a new Christian to read 3 chapters of the Old Testament and 1 of the New Testament a day, and you get through in a year. I did that for many years, although I have done many other types.

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you find someone else in your church to do a Bible study with. Never forget you can study on your own. And don't listen to weirdoes with agendas! Just follow the Bible and from that, follow Jesus and you won't go far wrong!

S

sureshjames

start with the gospel of john
read daily one chapter , understand each verse carefully then go to psalms ,proverbs,romans ,hebrews,and entire new testament then read isaiah ezekiel daniel jeremiah and read first four books and joshua,every remaining prophet then judges samuel and kings and at last remaining

S

sureshjames

post verse which you didn't understand

jb

Feb 27, 2010
You can find some very short studies Here, Here, Here, Here, Here and Here that you should find helpful with your new faith...

If you also want to just read the Scriptures by themselves then start at the book of John, then Acts...

Yahweh Shalom

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
There are lots of great books written by wonderful Bible teachers. That's how I learned. Also audio tapes. The Bott's Radio Network features many bible teachers and lessons.

As a new Christian I read a lot of Charles Stanley, Chuck Swindoll, David Jeremiah, James Kennedy....there are many more.

Welcome to the family :). May the Holy Spirit lead you to the resources you're looking for :).