New sound issue

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
U

Ugly

This is not a CC based issue.

Suddenly and without warning my Skype stopped working in my headphones. No ringing, no sounds when opening, no sounds of any kind. I opened my music player and discovered it worked in my headphones.
After some more fussing around i discovered that the sound of the music in my headphones was very fuzzy and the full sound of the music was not coming through. But if i pull the headphone jack halfway out the sound works, and even Skype works, but it won't stay like that unless i hold it the entire time.
I also learned that if i unplug the headphones Skype words fine, and even other headphones work fine.

To recap
A specific pair of headphones in
-no skype sounds
-music is partial and fuzzy

Headphones half in
-full skype sounds
-music fine

No headphones
-full skype sounds
-music fine

New headphones
-full skype sounds
-music fine

Obviously there must be some headphone issue, but i can't figure out how or why. Plugging them in all the way messes up, but partially they sound right. Moving the wire around causes no change.
It can't be the laptop jack as other headphones sound fine fully plugged in.
I don't want to use the other headphones as the ones i'm having trouble with has a mic i use for chatting.

So what could cause this? It happened within minutes between using them. Even if i can't fix it, i'm hoping to figure it out =P

djness

May 16, 2014
Sounds like a possible break in a wire close to the plug. Only explanation I could think of for why it works while holding it

S

Siberian_Khatru

Do you notice any corrosion anywhere on the connector? Or if it's gold plated, does it look like the plating is wearing off?

It's either the connector or the wiring, neither of which would be easy to fix.

U

Ugly

No corrosion. The headphones are only a few months old.

I don't know about the wiring, if the jack is half in it sounds fine and works normally. Messing with the wires has zero effect.

S

Siberian_Khatru

No corrosion. The headphones are only a few months old.

I don't know about the wiring, if the jack is half in it sounds fine and works normally. Messing with the wires has zero effect.
"Messing" with the wires?

At only a few months, I imagine they're under warranty then and can be serviced or replaced (unless you purchased them used or refurbished and the warranty was nil or very limited). Audio equipment is not my strong point, so I apologize that I'm not of much help.

U

Ugly

Just jostling the wires around to see if it alters the connection at all.

They are the worst i've ever had. I'm not surprised they broke so quickly.

No worries, i just thought someone had an insight perhaps as the whole thing seemed to make no sense to me. Thanks anyways.