New TV Show...What are they thinking?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
N

Nancyer

Last night I saw an ad for a new TV show, on ABC I think, called MISTRESSES. It appears to be about 4 or 5 women who are friends, all of whom a having affairs. From what the clip showed, it's an X rated movie just without the actual X rated parts. It was just clips of each of these women in bed with a different guy. Really?! Is this what people need to see on tv? I don't think so.

There have been popular shows with good messages, excellent scripts, wonderful acting and no need to resort to things like sex, shocking language, etc. And it IS resorting....not quality topics but a quick, easy way to attract viewers.

I understand I'm preaching to the choir but maybe if everyone here at CC get's on their facebook and twitter we can get others to follow suit and NOT WATCH. Let's let ABC know this is unacceptable and unnecessary and a cheap attempt and that their viewers are a whole lot smarter than they think they are.

What do you think?

M

MissCris

I think...sex sells. And a lot of people will watch it.

I also don't think that a few dozen, hundred, or even thousand viewers more or less will make a big enough impact, if the show turns out to be popular. Even if this show fails (and we can only hope, right?) another will pop up in its place, just as bad or worse.

It's disgusting what gets aired on television, I know, but the world of TV has gotten so bad that boycotting one show, or even an entire channel, isn't going to change that at this point. So pick and choose carefully what you watch, even try and convince others if you want, but I wouldn't expect a huge, shocked reaction to this particular show.

N

Nancyer

I think...sex sells. And a lot of people will watch it.

I also don't think that a few dozen, hundred, or even thousand viewers more or less will make a big enough impact, if the show turns out to be popular. Even if this show fails (and we can only hope, right?) another will pop up in its place, just as bad or worse.

It's disgusting what gets aired on television, I know, but the world of TV has gotten so bad that boycotting one show, or even an entire channel, isn't going to change that at this point. So pick and choose carefully what you watch, even try and convince others if you want, but I wouldn't expect a huge, shocked reaction to this particular show.

I know your right, MissCris, but I felt the need to make my opinion known. I also sent ABC a message this morning. So, as you say we can hope and have faith that God can use this for His glory and His purpose, one way or the other. I felt we can't just sit back and not be heard. If there is no opposition, however small, there will be no chance for change ever. So go ahead and let ABC know how you feel, too. Quality TV seems to come and go but this stuff stays. I miss West Wing and ER, my 2 favorite shows ever. And I was so happy to see The American Bible Challenge come back on Game Show Channel so there are good shows out there and an audience wanting to see them.

U

Ugly

It seems to me hopping on social media sites telling people not to watch it is ineffective. If people don't know about the show, now you're introducing it to them. Perhaps even to their non-Christian friends who will now get curious and go watch it. The people who are not going to watch it, aren't going to watch it, regardless of what you post. I won't watch it, but not because someone told me i shouldn't, but because i don't want to. I didn't even know about the show until you told me.
Usually what happens is people get in a huff about things, and spread the news. And the news gets so well spread it ends up being more like free advertising than a discouragement because it just alerts more people who will watch it, but does nothing to affect those who already wouldn't. Or so that's what i usually see. Controversy often does more to promote than discourage.

N

Nancyer

It seems to me hopping on social media sites telling people not to watch it is ineffective. If people don't know about the show, now you're introducing it to them. Perhaps even to their non-Christian friends who will now get curious and go watch it. The people who are not going to watch it, aren't going to watch it, regardless of what you post. I won't watch it, but not because someone told me i shouldn't, but because i don't want to. I didn't even know about the show until you told me.
Usually what happens is people get in a huff about things, and spread the news. And the news gets so well spread it ends up being more like free advertising than a discouragement because it just alerts more people who will watch it, but does nothing to affect those who already wouldn't. Or so that's what i usually see. Controversy often does more to promote than discourage.
I hadn't thought of it like that, your may be right. I hope I haven't given anyone reason to watch it, truly.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
Eh people will watch what they want and the networks will make what gets ratings. You have a choice not to watch it though. Honestly I dont care if they show stuff like that, clearly there is a markket for it, but it doesnt mean I have to watch it and it doesnt mean i have to let it be shown in my home.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
even if these shows were not sinful and wrong, I still could not watch them because they are so fake. i mean faker than wrestling.