No Greater Love

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JoyfulFleur

Feb 2, 2014
This my first poem. :) So excuse it if it does not flow properly

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." - John 15:13

A verse so wise and true,
This is exactly what Jesus did for you.
He took the lashings that we deserve,
Instead all He asks is for us to serve.

While His holy blood was poured,
People laughed and scorned.
They sneered as He was nailed to the tree,
Paying the price so we may be free.

Don’t let the world distract you from your sin,
Open your heart and let Jesus right in.
He offers the love and strength that you need,
And lifts the shackles off so you can be freed.

He will be your savior and friend,
Forever and always, even at the end.
Let the Lord cleanse you and make you forgiven,
He's the real reason why we are living.

J

Jda016

Very well done for your first poem!

I remember when I was 16 and I had to make a poem for class. I couldn't put two words to rhyme together for 10 minutes until I finally asked God to grant me the grace to write and he did immediately! I wrote 5 stanzas with an ABAB CDCD etc rhyme scheme, which was the requirement for my class!

Wonderful work!

J

Jda016

I also love how you based it after a Scripture!

Habbakuk

Apr 22, 2014
Hey joyful

Great work!

However, poetry does not necessarily have to rhyme. Its an expression of our hearts, so anything is possible! What has helped me to sharpen my creative poetry is to "force" myself to write on, on the spur the moment, without dictionaries, without real deep thinking, just to see what comes out.....like....this one with partial rhyme....

YOU

You are my only hope
forgive me when I stray
its not that I want to
I just do it anyway

Take me back please
You are my strong tower
Protect me, guide me
let me have your power

Show me what it means
to have a humble heart
let mine be clean
bless this new start.

The problem with rhyme is that we sometimes squeeze in a word that sounds right, but does not convey the meaning we intended 100%......but that also comes right over time as our vocabulary expands.....

Continue expressing your thoughts - its amazing how God can speak to us through what we think is our own poems.

JoyfulFleur

Feb 2, 2014
Very well done for your first poem!

I remember when I was 16 and I had to make a poem for class. I couldn't put two words to rhyme together for 10 minutes until I finally asked God to grant me the grace to write and he did immediately! I wrote 5 stanzas with an ABAB CDCD etc rhyme scheme, which was the requirement for my class!

Wonderful work!
Thank you, Jda! :) That's wonderful that you were able to complete the poem properly. I've had to ask God to give me inspiration for quite a few school assignments. He never fails!

Hey joyful

Great work!

However, poetry does not necessarily have to rhyme. Its an expression of our hearts, so anything is possible! What has helped me to sharpen my creative poetry is to "force" myself to write on, on the spur the moment, without dictionaries, without real deep thinking, just to see what comes out.....like....this one with partial rhyme....

YOU

You are my only hope
forgive me when I stray
its not that I want to
I just do it anyway

Take me back please
You are my strong tower
Protect me, guide me
let me have your power

Show me what it means
to have a humble heart
let mine be clean
bless this new start.

The problem with rhyme is that we sometimes squeeze in a word that sounds right, but does not convey the meaning we intended 100%......but that also comes right over time as our vocabulary expands.....

Continue expressing your thoughts - its amazing how God can speak to us through what we think is our own poems.
Thanks, Habbakuk! :) At first I tried making a poem that didn't rhyme, but it didn't work out too well. Haha. That's a great tip you gave me though. I appreciate it. I'll bear that in mind for the next time I attempt another poem.

By the way, your poem 'YOU' was quite good.

W

wantstogiveup

I love that!