Non-believer friends

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

Daniel1

Hey guys,
so i just joined today n I've bn goin through most of the discussions u’ve had. Interesting topics n lots of good advice
I'm in college duin engineering. In a class of 14guys and one lady. I happen to be the only Christian. I've made friends in my class and today I found myself laughing to a very ugly and disturbing comment.
I took smtym to reflect n i found myself wondering whether I'm backsliding.
My question: Is it wrong to hv a nonbeliever for a friend?

Oct 22, 2013
Hey guys,
so i just joined today n I've bn goin through most of the discussions u’ve had. Interesting topics n lots of good advice
I'm in college duin engineering. In a class of 14guys and one lady. I happen to be the only Christian. I've made friends in my class and today I found myself laughing to a very ugly and disturbing comment.
It's not a bad thing to have non-Christian friends, as long as you don't follow their bad habits. Some would say it is bad to have non-believer friends because it is hard not to follow them, but I'm my opinion, it is fine. As long as you try to be a witness to them and stand strong in your beliefs, everything should be fine. Just be careful!

J

ji

Hey guys,
By Praying and Meditating on Word of God,you can develop the attitude of being in self control:)-based on experience..
That's the key.
Yes,vain talk is a sin and its not good,just like any other sin it is also a terrible sin in God's sight.
you're not a back slider,you realize you did it wrong....just take it easy and Spend more time with God,God will make it easy in long run to stay away from what is unhealthy for your Spiritual life.

God Bless:)

Pres19

Nov 27, 2013
I would say it isn't bad at all. Only if you start to act in bad ways does it become wrong.
But I'd look at it like this.. maybe this is a chance for you to be a light unto others! :)
Seek God to give you strength and pray God will help you over come and not give into their bad habits.
Remember they could be bad for your life. But you could be good for theirs.
If you think you're better off staying away from them then by all means do it.
If you're not sure, seek God. He will show what you need to do.
God Bless!!!

Feb 16, 2014
What kind of bad habits are we talking about?

Obviously, it's best to avoid all bad habits, no matter who your company is. It sounds like we're referring to bad habits that solely differentiate Christians from non-believers - lacking belief in God, potentially questioning Christianity, and potentially speaking against Christianity as if it's immoral or wrong or untrue. This is understandable - but keep in mind that there's more to people than whether or not they believe in God and Jesus.

For example, if you're a Christian who happens to struggle with alcohol, it might benefit to hang out with people who don't drink - regardless of their faith. If you tend to get lazy, but your non-believer friends motivate you to work hard through your classes, pick up those good habits!

If you're prone to certain bad habits, don't hang out with people who bring those habits out. But if you're not prone to those habits, then it's just a matter of preference. For example, I have no problem with alcohol - I don't drink. I don't mind hanging out with people while they drink. But if I were an alcoholic, it would be in my best interest to avoid hanging out with others while they were drinking.

I actually encourage you to discuss religion with non-believers. You will learn how they think, you will show off how you think, and you can use this knowledge to not only strengthen your own views, but to also learn how to persuade others as well.