Not christian?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Channa

Mar 1, 2014
Hej people,

I've a (stupid?) question. A few weeks ago I cut my hair short. Very short.
My neighbour said that it's unchristian. My mother said nothing.
I must confess that I didn't thought about -what says the bible about it-
Yesterday I reminded me a verse in -I thought- Corinthians about short hair and womans.
I readed it and I don't know anymore.
Some people say that God doesn't mind,
some people say I should let my hair grow again.
I don't know if I should have regret.
What do you think the bible means with the verse?

1 Corinthians 11: 4-6
A man ought not to cover his head,[SUP][b][/SUP] since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. [SUP]8 [/SUP]For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; [SUP]9 [/SUP]neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. [SUP]10 [/SUP]It is for this reason that a woman ought to have authority over her own[SUP][c][/SUP] head, because of the angels. [SUP]11 [/SUP]Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. [SUP]12 [/SUP]For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God.

When I read it, I think it's clear. Woman shouldn't have short hair. What's the opinion of people who say that woman can have short hair?

[belike this is an Unbelievable brainless question, because the answer should be easy, but please, could you answer it? It's important to me]

God Bless You.
Already thanks.
Chan.

C

CheekyGeeky

There's nothing wrong with short hair and that verse you put does not have anything to do with women having long or short hair.

Thinking that having short hair is sinful is being legalistic and just untrue.

G4JC

Feb 9, 2011
GotQuestions said:
Question: "What does the Bible say about hair length? Do men have to have short hair, and do women have to have long hair?"

Answer:
A passage that mentions hair length in the New Testament is 1 Corinthians 11:3-15. The Corinthian church was in the middle of a controversy about the roles of men and women and the proper order of authority within the church. In the Corinthian society, women showed submission to their husbands by wearing a veil. It seems that some of the women in the church were discarding their veils, something that only pagan temple prostitutes or other rebellious women would do. For a woman to come to church without her veil would be dishonoring to her husband, as well as culturally confusing. By the same token, for a man to wear a veil or to somehow have his head covered during worship was not culturally acceptable in Corinth.

Paul appeals to biology to illustrate the appropriateness of following the cultural standards: women naturally have longer hair than men, and men are much more prone to baldness. That is, God created women with a “natural veil” and men with an “uncovered head.” If a woman spurns the mark of her submission (the veil), she may as well shave her head (verse 6). His point is that if the culture says a woman should not be bald (going without her natural covering), then why would she reject that same culture’s standard of wearing a veil (going without her cultural covering)?

For the man’s part, it is unnatural for him to have “long hair” (verse 14). His hair is naturally shorter (and thinner) than the woman’s. This corresponds to the Corinthian tradition of men not wearing a head covering during worship. Paul urges the church to conform to the generally held ideas of male and female appearance.

While hair length is not the main point of this passage of Scripture, we glean the following applications from it: 1) We should adhere to the culturally accepted indicators of gender. Men should look like men, and women should look like women. God is not interested in, nor does He accept, “unisex.” 2) We should not rebel against the culture just for the sake of rebelling, in the name of some sort of Christian “liberty.” It does matter how we present ourselves. 3) Women are to voluntarily place themselves under the authority of men in the church. 4) We should not reverse the God-ordained roles of men and women.

Our culture today does not use veils or head coverings to indicate submission to authority. The roles of men and women have not changed, but the way we symbolize those roles changes with the culture. Rather than establish legalistic standards of hair length, we must remember that the real issue is our heart condition, our individual response to the authority of God, His ordained order, and our choice to walk in submission to that authority. Men and women have different, God-ordained roles, and part of that difference is shown by their hair. A man's hair should look masculine. A woman's hair should look feminine.
As the above quote states - done in moderation and with a clean heart it's okay to have short-ish hair. However if it's verry short, it's not only unattractive, but sometimes associated with other nefarious purposes due to today's generation. :(

C

cgirl

I think it depends on the intentions more than the action.
I cut my hair very short too, but it was a matter of health.
I now that some women cut their hair, stop using jewelry or certain kind of clothes because those things distract them from the Kingdom.

You have to think: why did you cut your hair? It was because you feel more confortable that way? or because you wanted to be "in the trend"?
It's not bad to dress according to the fashion of your time, but your apareance shouldn't be a distraction for you.