Not sure what I believe any more.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

hishealingred

if I ask that when I don't believe in him will it mean anything?
Man, I do not know if I am right but I just opened two random books I just found, one of them is about this woman and she is speaking about prayers (hahaha), but anyways God heard your prayer so I guess it is actually genuine. These verses were in the book:

"11 And there appeared unto him an angel of the Lord standing on the right side of the altar of incense.
12 And when Zacharias saw him, he was troubled, and fear fell upon him.
13 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John." Luke 1:11-13

I know it's talking about answering their prayer for a child but it has the word "For thy prayer is heard" but God does that for me to answer or confirm something even if the situation is different (but similar) or even if it has a word or phrase in it (to confirm something). So believe it or not. Also have to add one more (the other book I opened randomly):

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing the word of God." Romans 10:17

(I could be wrong but I try to ignore my doubts and basically let the flesh die)

NateDaGrimes

Jan 7, 2013
First of all christina, quit treating Christianity like it's a religion like the ones you already been in.... trying to walk on this territory it's a whole new field.

You must seek God on your own, if your heart really isn't open then what can we do for you? we can paste scriptures and babble but in the end of the day it only comes to You.

O

oldernotwiser

I've grown up in a catholic home my whole life but I have been avidly atheist since I was 7. I moved to America at age 11 and met a Christian guy. We had a lot of debates and arguements. I lost contact with him. In highschool I could out debate any Christian but him. Before we lost contact last month he had me questioning what I really believe. I'm here for answers. But please remember.

1. I am LOGICAL please try to use sound logic and reason.

i guess i would have to know what you mean by sound logic and reason. if you demand empirical truth for the existence of god i cant give you any. i suspect the best way to describe god is "i am" and when we try to really explain that we end up with word games. i believe in god because of the existence of evil. i know it is evil to redefine dead children as collateral damage" i know it is evil to drive shiny cars fueled by the blood and sweat of little girls in the factories and brothels of thailand. i know it is evil to step carelessly over the beggars in our doorways. even if the doorway is 20,000 miles away and only seen on our 40 inch flat tv screens. i know these things are evil, and i must call them "SIN"

2. I know the bible like the back of my hand. So please spare me the john 3:16 spam.
certainly. i dont think we can begin to understand johns gospel until we truly (at least try to) understand luke's. read luke again. remember the world it describes. this rabbi jesus, from a small town in a roman province breaking the basic cultural rules. saying that samaritains were our neighbors (hated then by jews like muslims today) eating and drinking with "sinners" (often not just "sinners" but collaborators with rome) treating women as children of god (the morning prayer "thank you god that i am not a woman.) and returning lepers to health. (and we must remember that in greco roman palestine "health" wasnt seen as physical, physical was only a small element. health meant restoration to community.) he broke the rules, he challenged the civil and social authority so they hung him on a cross between two of the lowest wretches in their world. that ..... the life, death , and resurrection of jesus is my window into the nature of god.

3. Please do not try to explain how god exist by saying god exist and telling me about god. That's circular reasoning.

OK .... this is probably worse than circular reasoning if you are so focused on logic but i know god exists because i have experienced his presence when i most needed it. there are a lot of ways to describe this theologically, but all i can say is he has been there when i needed him (i apologize for the use of the male gender but while i understand that gender cant be applied to the infinite but i am too old not to speak in traditional terms.) i have found the church to be there for me when i needed the church. i have also seen congregations that seem to be missing some of the things he (the palistinian rabbi) said.

i saw in one of your later posts that a church condemned you for visible knees. i think you must respect that. that congregation apparently has men who suffer from a serious psychological disorder. the sight of womens knees must drive them into a frenzy of lust. if you return to that church i suggest that (like all the women there) you wear an muslim burqa. (joking ..... kep away from those morons at all costs lol)

if at any time you want to talk to a mad old american in china feel free to im me

grace and peace
ron

T

Trinityangy

Knowledge of bible does not help you in anyway, secondly without uoting from the bible will not get us to the truth, thirdly the information you have about god or bible, will not help you know the truth or enter into the Kingdom of God and lastly with all due respect, when you want to know something, anything at all you donot state conditions you must have an attitute of willing to learn and understanding that the only person who can reveal the truth to you is the Holy Spirit of God through a human being. God bless you with the spiritual blessings.

I

Inu

We are not perfect... 2 Corinthians 12:9- "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me".... It's okay to have our moments of weakness and it's okay to strive to become everything that is good and true: John 13:15- "I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you." As Christians, we should practice a Christ like living which displays love, kindness, truth and everything that He represents.... Some days... it's easy, other days.... we battle with temptations of the flesh.... that's when we need to embrace the Grace of God.... He loves us through our imperfections.... It's good for us to feel conviction but never allow yourself to feel condemnation.... That's not what God wants for His children...

R

Raine

Hello :)

I breezed thru the whole thread... and I don't think anyone said this yet but...

In order to receive a revelation from God one must fully surrender their hearts and open it completely, making it vulnerable. From what you have said so far, my sense is that even if God revealed himself to you at this point, if it was illogical, you would not believe that it is Him.

Yes, you know John 3:16, and you could probably quote it etc... but does your heart comprehend it? Do you realize how beautiful it was what Christ came down and what he did for you?

I grew up as a pastor's kid but don't consider myself saved until I was 12. I encountered God in the most unexpected way. As a teen, of course, I was struggling with self identity and I was broken with the situations my friends were in because I loved them very much and wanted to help them. I also struggled a lot, a lot, with believing that I was loved. I often spent many days crying in my dark room believing that I was not loved, and thought about taking my own life but never did because I had made a covenant with God that I wouldn't. I didn't understand God, but turned to him out of desperation.

Well, my dad had us fill out these packets on occasion, which I hated (awesome how God uses things we dislike sometimes haha), and this one happen to focus on John 3:16. I knew John 3:16, we recited it all the time. The packet had me put my name in, in replace of the word world. So it read something like this... "For God so loved (your name) that he gave his one and only son so that (your name) would not perish but have everlasting life." I filled it in, and as I read it, I instantly broke down in tears. I remember that moment so well. For the first time in my life, I realized God's love for me. God did not come down to die for the world, but I realized that each and everyone of us are his world. What do I mean by this? His love for us is so great that it is not limited. He is capable of loving us so much that each of us are his world. Even if God could only save one of us, He would've come down and still do everything because one person is worth that much to Him.

Instantly, when I read that, I broke down in tears and felt the strong presence of the Holy Spirit cover me. It was tangible, it was real, there was no doubt. Can I explain it? No. But my heart was broken and desperate and in a vulnerable place and only God could heal it.

Is there anything logical about this? Probably not. For God? It is completely logical. His logic is different from us. If we use logic, it is not even "logical" that an awesome and mighty God would choose to come down and die for us. That isn't logical! Any other god would never have done that. This reflects His perfect love.

If you seek him, seek him with a humble and broken heart. Tell him honestly how you are feeling. Its okay to yell at him and get angry and frustrated... He can handle it. And if He reveals himself, even illogically... well... at that point it is up to you if you believe it or not.

Good luck. :) And God bless.

Last edited by a moderator:

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Hello :)

I breezed thru the whole thread... and I don't think anyone said this yet but...

In order to receive a revelation from God one must fully surrender their hearts and open it completely, making it vulnerable. From what you have said so far, my sense is that even if God revealed himself to you at this point, if it was illogical, you would not believe that it is Him.

Yes, you know John 3:16, and you could probably quote it etc... but does your heart comprehend it? Do you realize how beautiful it was what Christ came down and what he did for you?

I grew up as a pastor's kid but don't consider myself saved until I was 12. I encountered God in the most unexpected way. As a teen, of course, I was struggling with self identity and I was broken with the situations my friends were in because I loved them very much and wanted to help them. I also struggled a lot, a lot, with believing that I was loved. I often spent many days crying in my dark room believing that I was not loved, and thought about taking my own life but never did because I had made a covenant with God that I wouldn't. I didn't understand God, but turned to him out of desperation.

Well, my dad had us fill out these packets on occasion, which I hated (awesome how God uses things we dislike sometimes haha), and this one happen to focus on John 3:16. I knew John 3:16, we recited it all the time. The packet had me put my name in, in replace of the word world. So it read something like this... "For God so loved (your name) that he gave his one and only son so that (your name) would not perish but have everlasting life." I filled it in, and as I read it, I instantly broke down in tears. I remember that moment so well. For the first time in my life, I realized God's love for me. God did not come down to die for the world, but I realized that each and everyone of us are his world. What do I mean by this? His love for us is so great that it is not limited. He is capable of loving us so much that each of us are his world. Even if God could only save one of us, He would've come down and still do everything because one person is worth that much to Him.

Instantly, when I read that, I broke down in tears and felt the strong presence of the Holy Spirit cover me. It was tangible, it was real, there was no doubt. Can I explain it? No. But my heart was broken and desperate and in a vulnerable place and only God could heal it.

Is there anything logical about this? Probably not. For God? It is completely logical. His logic is different from us. If we use logic, it is not even "logical" that an awesome and mighty God would choose to come down and die for us. That isn't logical! Any other god would never have done that. This reflects His perfect love.

If you seek him, seek him with a humble and broken heart. Tell him honestly how you are feeling. Its okay to yell at him and get angry and frustrated... He can handle it. And if He reveals himself, even illogically... well... at that point it is up to you if you believe it or not.

Good luck. :) And God bless.
This post is outstanding and quite touching.

R

Riv

the truth is that the proof is there right in front of you the bible handwritten letters of the witnesses themselves, numerous historical documents, people being martyred because they saw thier king risen from the dead and did not keel, in a court of law we would already possess enough proof and again the word of god the wisdom of the bible and the character of Jesus are all proof that this man was the son of god even the ground you stand on is proof that god exists creation it self is proof.

Romans 1:20
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

People don't see the truth because they don't want to.

C

ChristinaSanF

the truth is that the proof is there right in front of you the bible handwritten letters of the witnesses themselves, numerous historical documents, people being martyred because they saw thier king risen from the dead and did not keel, in a court of law we would already possess enough proof and again the word of god the wisdom of the bible and the character of Jesus are all proof that this man was the son of god even the ground you stand on is proof that god exists creation it self is proof.

Romans 1:20
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

People don't see the truth because they don't want to.
this really hit home with me. I spent a whole trying to think up a response and I can't.... Now what?

R

Riv

Next stage is you can decide if you want to become a christian. If you do, ask Jesus to come into your life and to begin a relationship with you, you need to repent and you should read the bible a fresh to get a better understanding at what god wants from you. you should join in with a church and commune with other christians as well.

Feb 16, 2014
Hey there Christina. I'd love to correct some statements made on here that I feel are erroneous, but this isn't my place to dissuade people of God's existence. I'll hold my tongue. However, there is one thing I do want to tell you.

This is really getting to me. I don't want to believe when I die everything cease to exist. I want to be a Christian but I feel like in order to do so I have to do the impossible
If you want to believe in God because you're afraid of death, then do you really care about the truth, whatever it may be? Or are you looking for ways to convince yourself it's the truth, regardless as to whether it actually is, because you're afraid?

If you're going to accept God as real, you need to do it because it's what you're convinced to be true, not because you're afraid it isn't true.

Someone created a thread discussing their concerns with death and I feel my initial response to them is worth checking out.

http://christianchat.com/christian-teens-forum/97959-faith.html

I'm not necessarily saying you shouldn't believe in God or that you shouldn't try. I'm simply stating that you need to seek truth out of curiosity, not fear. I'd love for there to be an afterlife and an all loving God, but I don't believe in either. Instead of looking for ways to convince myself there's a God so I'm no longer afraid of death, I learned to accept the fact that I will very likely cease to exist when I die. That's not to say I'm close minded. Like you, I am also open to the possibility that there's a God. I'm just looking for the evidence (which many people will say is right in front of me or will be clear when I believe, but the former doesn't explain what the proofs are and the latter ignores the fact that they still need to prove that proof is only available to those who believe).

It's always wonderful to see people searching for the truth, whatever it may be. But your conclusions should be based off of what is evident to you, not your fears. If you come to the conclusion that God exists simply because you're afraid of death, then do you really believe in God, or are you simply telling yourself you do because you don't want to admit what you honestly think? Base your conclusions off of what becomes apparent to you, not off of fear.

Anyway, I'm interested to see what you ultimately conclude, if such a conclusion is drawn in this thread or on this website.

Last edited:
R

Riv

I think fear of death is an excellent reason to consider god and just as good as curiousity If not better in my opinion.

Proverbs 1:7
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.