Not sure where to go from here.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Mercann

Hello,
I need some help on which way to go in my life. I have been married for 6 years, we have two kids, 7 & 5. Things started out okay but have gotten progressively worse, especially these past few months. We've always had some issues, for instance he feels that it is the woman's job to do everything home-related (even though we both work full time) and he's never been much help with the children....these things I could live with.
In June of this year, he decided to quit the steady job that he has had since we married to try a new career. When I told him that I didn't think it was a wise move, I was told to blow it out my a&&, he was taking the new job. Ever since then, I feel like God is no longer in our marriage (I've felt him with me, just not in the home). He was fired from the new job within 2 weeks. Thank God he was able to collect unemployment, BUT once he found that out, he lost all desire to find anything else. For 4 months, he sat on the couch eating and sleeping all day. He's has probably gained at least 100 pounds and he was not a small man to begin with, he's developed sleep apnea and sleeps so restlessly and loudly that I can't sleep in the same room with him. When I do go into the living room, he gets upset. Then in October he (or should I say I, since I'm the one who is constantly looking for jobs for him), found another job. He was doing well, but still had the anger that had developed during the unemployment stint. He was fired from this job the week before Christmas. He is back to sitting on the couch, yelling at the kids to bring him what he wants instead of getting up to get it himself. We just got the letter from unemployment stating that he has about 4 weeks left until it is exhausted. I don't know what we're going to do financially. Everything is at least 1 month late, some bills as much as 4 to 5 months late.
The negativity and the anger are dragging me down and I don't know what to do anymore. I've asked him to help around the house since he's not working and his response is that he doesn't need to kiss my a&&. If I'm nice to the animals or the kids, I'm sucking up to them. If I read the bible, I'm getting too "religious" on him. He gets angry and accuses me of having another man if I don't want to have sex with him, but if he would shower more than once a week I probably would. Of course when I mention getting a shower, he shuts down and starts up with the hurtful comments. Telling my kids that they aren't going to have a dad because I don't love him anymore. Telling my kids that Mommy is going to hell because she isn't a "real" Christian. He hasn't been inside a church in at least 8 months, but points out how wrong it is when I don't go. I could write forever on all the things that are going on and things that have been said. I've tried to be supportive and thought if he's not working then I can keep my son home from daycare and save on that expense. The kids were home with him on New Year's Eve Day. He tried to get everyone to take a nap, they didn't and he did. I guess they were too loud for him...he came out to the living room, spanked our son then threw him in the chair. My son then peed his pants and when he told his Dad, our son was called an f'ing, SOB liar. The point of this is, I will never leave my children alone with him anymore. Of course, that is making him more upset because I will have to start working on Saturdays soon and he doesn't want anyone to know why I won't let them with him.
He also can't get over the fact that I will help my children if they have difficulty wiping after they go to the bathroom, but I won't help him (he's so big that apparently he has issues in that area). He says for better for worse, I say it's not because he's sick but because he sits around all the time and is doing nothing to help himself.
I have nowhere to turn, his mother does nothing but make excuses for him. Of course he lies to her constantly, no one but me (and my family) know that he doesn't have a job. He tells everyone else that they just aren't busy. I cant keep living like this, but I know that God hates divorce and I can't afford to go anywhere. He won't leave (even though this was my house before we were married.

A

Ariel82

wow he really needs some good counseling.

I think if he is cursing at your kids it is a wise move NOT to leave them alone with him. IF he doesn't want people to know WHY then he should stop doing it.

I don't think its unreasonable for you to expect him to bathe daily and wipe his own butt or help around the house.

I don't know the solution to your problems but I will definitely pray about it and just wanted to say words to support and encourage you.

You can't control his actions and I don't know what issues he is going through but I'm glad you have family and are holding strong for the children sakes

O

overcomer2

I think it is hard when your marriage is lopsided. One is giving, one is taking. Sister, you are in no shape to get out of there and you do not have the ability to change anyone. The Holy Spirit only can change his heart. These are the cards that are dealt to you right now, so, make the most of them. I will keep you in prayer. I pray the Lord will guide you during this trial. Draw so nigh to the Lord that he literally tells you where to put your next foot step down. Be encouraged. You are fighting the devil not your husband. For we wrestle not with flesh and blood but with spirits in high places.

sandtigeress

Apr 29, 2013
Praying for you.

Could you get a friend of his, to get him to do something. Sports / Jogging anything, that breaks his cicle of "oh I feel bad" - "oh, I can not do" - "oh, everyone else is so much better, and should help me".
It feels like he has left his selfworth, and now tries to find it by finding excuses and weight is a good excuse.
One feels good eating, feels good puting oneself down for it. And it is a good excuse, for not getting the things one wanted, like that carierchange. And he seems to like to fight with you, like that is his new job.

But as heartless as it sounds, your kids need you more, and they need to see a strong mother, who tells her husband to quit being selfish and full of selfpity, even if that means (temporary) separation. May god give you wisdom.

If he really does not comprehend that housholdwork is manly enough, how about "manly" housholdwork like renovating or lawnwork or whatever.

And woud it be possible to send them (children + husband) to his mothers on saturdays, when you have to work.

And his birth family and friends ought to know, he is out of work, because how can they help him, if he shows a fiction to the world. To live a lie is very consuming and no good can come of it.

Ok, lot of advice. :) Please understand, that I do not know anything, so many of it might be totally wrong,
but I am definitely praying for you and your family.

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
I'm so sorry you're going through this....the situation does sound very bad. Yes, God hates divorce but He also hates abuse. It's amazing how non-believers start telling you how 'un-Christian' you are when you aren't doing what they want you to do. Don't fall for this manipulation. In your heart, God will speak to you and lead you into what action to take.... this is an intolerable situation for you and for your children; you do need to do something about it.

Dr. Dobson (Focus on the Family) talks about 'tough love'...a real love that sets out to help people reach their full potential and teaches how to really help people with mental problems (including depression)...like how to take care of themselves and not make other people's lives miserable.

Your husband needs some tough love. He won't see it like that so you'll need to mentally prepare your reasons for what you do. The first priority is your children's safety and emotional well-being. Find a safe place to live and let your husband know that you are not filing for divorce but there will need to be changes if your relationship is to continue as husband and wife. He really needs counseling...especially for anger management. Make that the first thing he needs to do. If he won't do this, I don't see how you can proceed with repairing the family. He may need some time to see the light. In the meantime, you can concentrate on healing yourself and your children.

Hopefully he won't threaten you or your children in retaliation. If you feel like you may be in danger, contact a local agency for help. You can get a restraining order against him. Mainly, let him know that you still love him and hope for a reconciliation when he gets some help and his behavior changes for the better.

Do you attend church? Having a church family can be a wonderful support. Is there any local family that can help with the children while you work?

Since you are the bread-winner for the family you are in a good position to provide for the family financially. Do not feel like you have to support your bummy husband...he needs to see that he's got to have some self-responsibility. If you can find counseling for yourself on how to deal with this crisis, it would give you some direction and strength. Many churches offer free counseling.

Praying for wisdom, strength, discernment, and courage as the Holy Spirit leads you in this....and praying for your husband, he must be very unhappy and miserable...but don't let him abuse you and your children. He needs help.

K

kenthomas27

I'm am amazed at your story. Mercann, you need to figure out a way to get rid of this guy. I'm not kidding - if this is all true, you need to take immediate and lasting action to get this man out of your life. I mean, if you don't want a divorce then that's understandable, but some drastic changes will need to take place either way.

Do you have family close by? A pastor you can go to for counseling? This situation you're in needs immediate and total change and just right off, I don't think this guy is capable of the kind of change that needs to occur. This is abuse of the highest order and just because you and your children don't have black eyes is no reason to think this is something less.

Get out! If you don't want to get out for good then get out first. If you have vested interest in your house, then get him out, but make the change.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
He's not acting like a saved person. He needs to get right with God so he is fit to be around. Scripture says that a man who won't provide for his family is worse than an infidel. If there is no money to pay the bills you all will soon be homeless.

I am concerned about the foul language and the likelihood that it will escalate to violence against you and the children. Spanking a child while in a rage is not discipline but abuse. There is likely some outside help available. If not through the church then through state services. This can go from bad to worse without any further warning.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

If i was with someone that did what your husband did to my child.... I would have been out the door that day.
That's child abuse.

I'm not saying get a divorce, but seperating at this point may be a wise decision.
He clearly needs help, and maybe you and the kids leaving for a little while will give him a wake up call.

M

Mercann

Thank you sooo much for your support. He does a good job of making me out to look like the bad guy, to myself and the kids. Thankfully the kids see the truth (so far) Unfortunately it is all true, and unfortunately it is only the tip of the iceberg. I REALLY wish that I had somewhere to go, but (and this is where some people disagree with me) I have 3 animals and if I leave them behind he will not feed them or take care of them. The only place available is my Grandfathers and he is 83 and has no tolerance for animals and a very low tolerance for children.
This morning I was told that I'm worthless as a wife because I'd rather talk on the computer to my "boyfriend". There is NO other man in my life and hasn't been since I met him. I'm trying my best to fight the evil in my home but the more prayer that comes our way, the more heavenly help I'll get. I sometimes feel like God isn't listening to me but then it was pointed out to me that when there is a test, the teacher is always silent.

Thank you sooooo much. Hopefully soon I can give a good end result!

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
This is classic depression. He needs to see a doctor and get on meds. I am very serious.

Everything you said in your OP, from the overeating, the not showering, the anger, quitting his job (not being able to cope with a perfectly good job!), irrational jealousy, etc. are all symptoms of severe major depression.

My husband went through this, and became quite abusive too. When he got on anti-depressants, he became the man I married again. If you cannot get him to see the doc, and on AD's you really have to consider leaving before he destroys you and your children. Not remarriage, just a separation for safety. Please consider your grandfather's house, if necessary and find homes for the animals.

If you leave, then if he tries to get back together, you can use getting on AD's and marriage counseling as strong leverage. It is for his own good. Men find it hard to recognize depression in themselves, and you need to protect yourself and your children. Sorry things have gone downhill so badly.

M

Mercann

Thank you Angela, that's pretty much what we have thought. He will NOT go to a doctor unless he can't get up. I've tried to get him to go and I've tried to get him to go to counseling. Thankfully my Mom told me today that if I can find a place for us, she'll move in with us to help with the costs. I am very close to finding homes for the cats, the problem is that they are 14 and 13. Just please continue praying. I tried to sit out in the living room with the whole family this evening and he had to make little comments, so now the kids and I are in a separate room watching AFV. One day at a time...

G

GodlyGirlCasey

You are in my prayers mercann. I was in a similar situation and I chose the divorce route. My question is is he saved? Because if he is not, the Bible clearly says the believing spouse is not in bondage in such cases.

Jan 8, 2014
Hi Mercann...your story is really heartbreaking.....

what at I would do:
1. Get some oil, pray over every door post , window pane in your home, praying against the forces of the enemy trying to break your marriage, your family and you. Binding every evil spirit trying to setup camp in your home and rebuke them.i. U and ur kids, set some pray time together. Even if it's just some quiet time with The Lord.

2. I'm not sure if your husbands behavior is generational, so break every generational curse by praying against it, and stopping it right here at this point. It will not continue and pass on!!!!

3. Set aside a few days to fast and pray that God gives this guy a shock of his life with a life changing encounter, well if our God could get a donkey to talk, who says he can't use those cats in your home.....pray for an encounter that will knock his socks off!!!