NU Yiers?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Circa 2020.9997-2021.000001:

So Idk if there has been a thread started about this or not. I'll admit I'm not sure what I'm going to "do" for New Years.

Well...I would like to post this in the Singles forum and will attempt to avoid BDFy "vibes". This isn't meant to be
an argument or a "super" serious discussion. If someone wants to do that, I'm certainly open to it (I can initiate PM)
but what is serious for one doesn't have to be for another. We each have our burdens and mysteries to solve. Sure, it's
awesome when a shared burden is discussed and insight given but I think that each of us are sort of different. Every
tiny little intricacy matters to the Lord but I think when we try to "be him" we err. We bear the image of the messiah
and his standard...we don't try to bear our own standard and call it his. Simple? Not always.

But anyway. New Years. Is it made up? Is it gentile? Is it sin? What are you all doing for New Years? Can I give a
"blanket blessing" (Happy New Year!!!)??? When in Rome? Doesn't the winter solstice make more sense astronomically speaking?

Idk, but I don't think it matters "too" much right now. Certainly all normal rules apply regarding sin and nothing is
really different...and yet even when I try to completely stifle the feelings I get, It is pretty cool to know 2020 will
soon be over (or is depending on when you read this) the stifling is sort of like holding in a laugh. I've felt some pretty mysterious things during the countdown
and I've seen people do some pretty atypical things so there is that.

I do pray for a blessing for the body to be productive and redeem the time for what each of us have left. If that
prayer means more to someone on New Years then cool, let that be. If it doesn't...still I pray the same if you disavow
the gregorian calendar.

I feel a brimming of energy and that's part of what I want to use it for. How does this energy come into being
on particular days I cannot say...Tis a mystery I'm willing to let rest today :)

Either way, it is a curious thing. Much more aloof for me than Xmas and is about in the category of lunar events/birthdays

Peace be with you.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Woo...I think it posted. I'm on EST so it's like .0001 of a year away if I've done my math correctly.

So dreary here with the rain. I have a fire built (not lit) slightly wet but covered. Well...not exactly rain, but a muggy mist all day. Good few fireworks going off pretty frequently.

Not much open and everyone else in my family had no plans nor wanted to make any. Pretty strange year. If nothing else 2020 looks nice on paper/text. Alas, the numerical aesthetics of 2021 do not appeal.

I considered going to see the peach drop in Atlanta but parking is pretty lame down there.
*figured I'd double check and apparently no events are scheduled this year* :(

Which makes sense I guess... Just so different.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
13 minutes! .000025 of a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

give or take.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
New Year isnt till April 1st everyone.

*I* have decreed it so.

We are going to start from year 1 again.

true story, a guy came in the bookshop yesterday and said we sold him the wrong calendar, outside it said 2021 but inside it was still 2020. we had to pull them all off the shelves.

By February we are just giving calendars away. So I wouldnt celebrate just yet.

Nov 15, 2020
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
New Year isnt till April 1st everyone.

*I* have decreed it so.

We are going to start from year 1 again.

true story, a guy came in the bookshop yesterday and said we sold him the wrong calendar, outside it said 2021 but inside it was still 2020. we had to pull them all off the shelves.

By February we are just giving calendars away. So I wouldnt celebrate just yet.
some calendars here usually have the first four months of the following year, at the back of current calendar.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Addressing the comments in the first post:

Almost everything about time is made up. Seconds, minutes, hours, weeks, months... The only things that are "real" are days and years, because they are caused by the earth rotating and revolving. All the other time measurements are things we invented just so we could better keep track of and measure time.

Well... months used to be real. It was supposed to be the time it took the moon to wax and wane. But our modern months don't have anything to do with the moon.

So I wouldn't worry about it too much. We picked a day and said "This will be the start of the new year" but if we had picked any other planetary rotational period we call a day it would not have mattered at all. If we had started the new year in autumn the earth wouldn't even notice.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
In the meantime...

This is the nicest day on the job for me. Everybody is at home sleeping off a hangover and it's so quiet and peaceful.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
In the meantime...

This is the nicest day on the job for me. Everybody is at home sleeping off a hangover and it's so quiet and peaceful.
Yeah I've worked the night of, it's sort of eerie...I haven't ever worked new years day as far as I can recall though.

It's been a slow letting go of the importance of it and treating it like just another day. I guess because it's held to be different by many it affects me in some fashion.

I did do a bit of "research" because of the google picture...apparently it used to be the start of spring (which makes sense as the beginning of "life") but was moved to Jan 1st because that's when the Roman political calendar started or some such.

It was also sort of cool learning a bit about the Julian/Gregorian calendars. Sometimes I wonder how they came about in God's view. Like..."come on guys you are off by like such and such a number...L2math please".

Though the Jewish New Year starts in sept/oct and their method of counting years is actually pretty interesting though they do celebrate Jan 1st as New Year also called Silvester or something. Like, well it is for everyone else pretty much so we'll mark it...

Then we have the Chinese New Year also lol. Pretty interesting how certain people groups count time/seasons/years.