NYC hires female firefighter despire her failing crucial Functional Skills Test

• Thread starter Viligant_Warrior
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
V

Viligant_Warrior

Rebecca Wax to become N.Y. firefighter despite failing crucial fitness test

A woman is set to join the New York City Fire Department despite failing a crucial physical fitness test, according to the New York Post.

Rebecca Wax, 33, is expected to graduate Tuesday from the Fire Academy and will become the first firefighter to have failed the Functional Skills Training (FST) test, the Post reported.

The grueling test requires potential recruits to climb six flights of stairs in full gear and drag dummies through tunnels with little visibility, among other tasks, and it’s to be completed in under 18 minutes, according to the Post.
Wax only completed the test once, dropping out of all other attemptss without finishing the course, during her 18-week training. She required 22 minutes the one time she actually finished the test.

It appears to be a case of political correctness that she will be allowed to take an FDNY position.

So, if you were trapped in a burning building, would you feel comfortable seeing a female firefighter coming for you and wondering if she was Rebecca Wax?

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
M

Miri

Thanks, I can't really comment on that specific case. I just know both from history
and the present time, that there is no reason to ban women from being fire
fighters generally if they want.

I wouldn't want to do it, but if a woman meets the requirement then good for them.

Not sure what it is like in the UK, but the fire department in the UK are just as likely
to rescue people from cars, rivers and other situations and deal with chemical spills etc
as they are to attend a fire. In certain situations women can have more of a
calming affect on people than men etc. I think both sexes have a lot to offer in a Job
like that.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Thanks, I can't really comment on that specific case. I just know both from history
and the present time, that there is no reason to ban women from being fire
fighters generally if they want.

I wouldn't want to do it, but if a woman meets the requirement then good for them.

Not sure what it is like in the UK, but the fire department in the UK are just as likely
to rescue people from cars, rivers and other situations and deal with chemical spills etc
as they are to attend a fire. In certain situations women can have more of a
calming affect on people than men etc. I think both sexes have a lot to offer in a Job
like that.
That's a good point. I suppose I cannot assume they picked her up to fill a quota though that is the likely scenario.

Perhaps they saw her filling a need in the department that nobody else could fill. Perhaps not, hahahaha

A

AgeofKnowledge

Obviously, progressive liberal ideology magically compensates for substandard fire fighters saving all involved. Don't you watch Hollywood movies.

So, if you were trapped in a burning building, would you feel comfortable seeing a female firefighter coming for you and wondering if she was Rebecca Wax?

J

jennymae

Why would a lady wanna become a firefighter?

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014
Why would a lady wanna become a firefighter?
...because they want to fight fires?

Seriously, why? Who knows?
Should they, if they CAN and do qualify?
Why not? Right?

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Obviously, progressive liberal ideology magically compensates for substandard fire fighters saving all involved. Don't you watch Hollywood movies.
Reminds me of those idiots who tried to pull a Walden Pond in unforgiving environments only to discover why those environments are so unforgiving.

I do not want to advocate survival of the fittest but...

V

Viligant_Warrior

I think we're missing the point. This woman didn't qualify. If a man got the same scores, he would be looking for something else to do.
Bingo! The others had it go right over their heads.

Why not there were many women in the UK who were part of the fire service in the
second world war.

London Fire Brigade - The Second World War

Example of what it takes now to be a female fire fighter in th UK

More female firefighters are being recruited in Cambridgeshire - but does our Emma have what it takes? | Cambridge News
Miri,

1. Serving in what at that time were traditional male jobs during WWII was different, and the criteria for serving as a firefighter today are much more stringent than then.

2. I don't know about the U.K., but in the U.S., a female firefighter is expected to meet the same physical fitness requirements are her male counterparts. Wax certainly didn't measure up, but was hired anyway.

Sure. Fighting fires ain't Hollywood, though.

And I didn't know liberal ideology was that powerful.

...because they want to fight fires?

Seriously, why? Who knows?
Should they, if they CAN and do qualify?
Why not? Right?
Yup. Key phrase being " ... if they CAN and DO qualify."

A

AgeofKnowledge

The magic only works for those who fall into one of the progressive's politically protected classes. As a middle-aged conservative WASP, I fall into none of them.

In fact, as one young progressive know-it-all homosexual pothead told me recently, I'm the "f****** enemy." Lolol!

I then asked him three simple questions. One was a simple U.S. historical question, the second was a simple U.S. geography question, and the third was a simple U.S. political science question. He couldn't answer even one of them accurately at which point I told him that maybe he "was the f****** problem not me."

Reminds me of those idiots who tried to pull a Walden Pond in unforgiving environments only to discover why those environments are so unforgiving.

I do not want to advocate survival of the fittest but...

Dec 12, 2013
Why not there were many women in the UK who were part of the fire service in the
second world war.

London Fire Brigade - The Second World War

Example of what it takes now to be a female fire fighter in th UK

More female firefighters are being recruited in Cambridgeshire - but does our Emma have what it takes? | Cambridge News

I don't think that was the point of the OP......should we allow doctors, lawyers, cops, military, brain surgeons etc. who cannot pass the exams that have been set so as to weed out those not fit for duty?

Dec 12, 2013
Wax only completed the test once, dropping out of all other attemptss without finishing the course, during her 18-week training. She required 22 minutes the one time she actually finished the test.

It appears to be a case of political correctness that she will be allowed to take an FDNY position.

NO for sure.....!

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
Perhaps they will use her in communications or fire safety where her strength will not be an issue. That way her rather expensive training will not be wasted.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
As a retired firefighter I've seen first hand this battle. Of the few women who pass testing, even fewer remain on the job for over 5 years. They have a high incidence of injury, leading to bloated work-comp claims and payouts. Not to mention the specious harassment claims they file on a too-regular basis. As much as we'd like to think differently, the vast majority of women are just not cut out for it.

That being said, we did have one woman on our department who proved herself. The testing mentioned here was not in place at the time she was hired. When our department adopted it, we did test many of our members including her. She failed it. But when the day was done, she stayed behind and did it over and over again until she could pass. She wasn't about to let our department lower it's standards for her, instead she always worked hard to bring herself up to meet it. As much as we didn't agree with women firefighters, she was accepted because she wouldn't accept a lower standard for herself, and had the perseverance to fight until she achieved it.

AngelFrog

Feb 16, 2015
And when she fails on the job, like in failing to save a life, the surviving family members will sue the city and win. Because PC trumped common sense on the job and concern for public safety.

AngelFrog

Feb 16, 2015
On the news today now the Navy, when formerly it had been the Marines, announced they're lowering the fitness standards so as to recruit more women.

Is that the members of "NOW" combusting in the background?