OFFERINGS : WHY WAS ONE REJECTED?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

hattiebod

Please be kind :) ...I know this has maybe been asked many times, so I ask for your patience and kindness. I refer to the offerings of Essau and Jacob...did they both know what was acceptable to the Lord? The fruits of the soil were rejected...i appreciate that this is to do with the blood sacrifice? so did Essau know this and was deliberately offering what was not pleasing to the Lord? and if so...why, and how does that work, as one was a hunter and one was a man of the fields? surely Essau was not set up to fail....Thank you :) I have often wondered about this and have been given some answers...I know that here I shall get great ones! :) <><

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Please be kind :) ...I know this has maybe been asked many times, so I ask for your patience and kindness. I refer to the offerings of Essau and Jacob...did they both know what was acceptable to the Lord? The fruits of the soil were rejected...i appreciate that this is to do with the blood sacrifice? so did Essau know this and was deliberately offering what was not pleasing to the Lord? and if so...why, and how does that work, as one was a hunter and one was a man of the fields? surely Essau was not set up to fail....Thank you :) I have often wondered about this and have been given some answers...I know that here I shall get great ones! :) <><
Cain and Able perhaps?

For the cause of Christ
Roger

H

hattiebod

Could you explain it to me please, I would be grateful. <><

N

nathan3

Esau was a person that did not care about God. He did not care about anything before he was even born. Esau sold his birth right for a bowl of red food. That's how much he cared about God or who he was. So God probably did have a plan for him before he was even born.

It is even written He hated him before he was even born. Because He knew him from , before.

H

hattiebod

Esau was a person that did not care about God. He did not care about anything before he was even born. Esau sold his birth right for a bowl of red food. That's how much he cared about God or who he was. So God probably did have a plan for him before he was even born.

It is even written He hated him before he was even born. Because He knew him from , before.
Before he was born? so what control did he have over that? God destined him not to please Him....? OK, so...why did God allow him to not care, follow, care for Him? does that mean that God chooses some to love Him and others not? <><

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
You mean Cain and Abel, right?;)

I believe this explains why Cain's sacrifice was rejected...

Heb 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
Heb 11:5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Abel's sacrifice was acceptable to God because he offered it in faith whereas Cain didn't.

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
This is a sacrifice of thanksgiving. Cain offered his
first-fruits as a matter of thanksgiving. This is the nature if any
first-fruit offering. The text says that Able ALSO of his
first. Both men are offering the same sacrifice. Why then was Cain's
sacrifice not accepted? This rejection seems to stem from Cain's
relationship with his brother.

Last edited:
J

jerusalem

the way sheep are shepherded in the middle east was vastly different than the way it is done in other cultures. the sheep literally know the voice of the shepherd and follow behind him as they would the head sheep in the wild. the sheep are given names and treated as beloved pets. every sheep given as a sacrifice was a personal , emotional loss to the shepherd of a beloved friend and companion. shepherds lived solitary lives with the sheep as there only company. i saw a film based on an accurate portrayal of this way of life. when the children in training as shepherds were asked to surrender a sheep for the Lord, they were required to choose their favorite for him a great personal loss to themselves. without knowing this the deeper meaning of abel's sacrifice as compared to cain's is missed by the western mindset. it would go without need of explanation to those within that culture

W

Widdekind

so, the interpretation is, that Cain offered an empty sacrifice, perhaps he saw his brother do something, and merely aped the motions, wondering if he'd get magic freebies?

i perceive the topic to be important, as to when humans on earth are willing to accept, condemnations of other humans on earth, because of God in heaven, "give an inch, give a mile", so such seems a potentially important point

would Cain have committed the Eternal Sin of envying Abel's spiritual gifts ? Jesus' response, to Pharisees, about the Eternal Sin vs. Holy Spirit seems to say, that the Pharisees could have mocked even Jesus' body, calling him ugly (say); but to witness Holy Spirit in action, on earth, and to deny that God in heaven sent those Communications, e.g. Words to the mind and out the mouth of Jesus, is to incur Eternal Wrath. Thereafter, God in heaven will ensure, the disbelievers' Punishment. I.e. you do not stare, at Super-Intelligence in heaven, Communicating to earth (thru Prophets), and claim your half-furry apeness is superior, because it (in your end) is not.

Eternal sin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Heb 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
Heb 11:5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Abel's sacrifice was acceptable to God because he offered it in faith whereas Cain didn't.

R

RachelBibleStudent

well first of all it had nothing to do with blood sacrifice...there is nothing to indicate that this was a sin offering...and some details in the story make it unlikely that it was...more likely it was a firstfruits offering or thank offering...

one detail to notice in the text is that it says God did not accept 'cain and his offering'...see how cain is mentioned before his offering? it was -cain- that God had a problem with...not cain's offering...

cain's problem was that his offering did not come from saving faith...it was just a 'righteous deed' that was like a filthy rag...

Oct 31, 2011

By faith, it is meant that you have faith in the whole of God including His commands. At the time of Cain and Abel, they did know about God and knowing God meant that they would know it was through blood there was cleansing.

Man has always used his own ideas to decide about God, and you can't do that and have absolute faith in God and who God is. With faith, it always goes on to our actions. Abel acted on having faith in all God is, Cain acted on his own reasoning and decisions about what is right.

adsd

May 4, 2013
I thought because Cain in time gave an offering (not his first fruits) . God was not his priority. Able Gave the first . God was his first thought and this pleased God.

Sep 4, 2012
Abel's offering showed faith in the shed blood of a vicarious sacrifice. Cain's offering showed faith in his own works, or efforts, to please GOD. Without faith in the shed blood of Christ it is impossible to please GOD; and Abel's sacrifice showed that he looked forward in faith to that day.

Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks better than Abel’s (offering) does. Hebrews 12:24

Last edited:
D

danschance

22 Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins. Hebrews 9:22
Sin offering must be a blood sacrifice. The wages os sin is death, so the forgiveness of sins comes thru a blood sacrifice. All blood sacrifices are a type of Christ, as His blood saved mankind from certain condemnation.

Shilo

Aug 31, 2011
Cain wanted to come to God his own way and when it was not excepted he murdered his brother. This shows the hate and rebellion in his heart.
Jude 1:11 A curse on them! They have gone in the way of Cain, running uncontrolled ( rebellion) into the error of Balaam for reward, and have come to destruction by saying evil against the Lord, like Korah.

Oct 31, 2011

Cain used his own ideas of God, when it was known at that time that blood was required for atonement, Cain reasoned that what he did was just as good. Made sense to Cain. He had faith in his own reasoning, not complete faith in God.

I think it is interesting that Cain wasn't told about Christ that the blood symbolized, but only that blood was required, yet Cain was asked to have faith in what God says. Through the life that Christ showed us, and through the HS we are often given the reasons for what God requires yet we sometimes say we will obey in our hearts only. Perhaps that is what Cain was saying about not obeying God when God said blood sacrifice only.

B

BeanieD

Concordance says........"Cain brought SOME of the fruits....but Abel brought Fat portions from some of the FIRSTBORN of his flock." The contrast is not between an offering of plant life and an offering of animal life, but between a careless, thoughtless offering and a choice, generous offering. Motivation and heart attitude are all important, and God looked with favor on Abel and his offering because of Abel's faith. Firstborn, indicative of the recognition that all the productivity of the flock is from the Lord and all of it belongs to him.

Blessings all

May 15, 2013
Like Abel had given his first born, unblemished lamb, which it was his very best of his flock; and as of Cain most likely didn't give his best like his first fruit. But I believe that Cain was competing with Abel instead of focusing on what God desires.

Hosea 6:6
For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
You mean Cain and Abel?
These were indeed sin-offerings.

Cain believed a simple tithe-like offering would be sufficient.
Able slaughtered an innocent being that he cared for.
Both sacrifices were done "by faith" but Abel's was "more excellent".

This has implications all over the Bible and in our daily lives.
If you were required to slaughter an innocent being that you cared
for every time you sinned, you might think twice before you sinned.
Cain's offering was not sufficient to cause him to consider his sin, which is addressed in Genesis 4:7.

This ties directly in to The Lord's Supper (not Catholic "communion" or Mormon "sacrament").
A man is instructed "examine himself" before partaking.
Cain did not examine his heart.
He was not ashamed to the extent that he would kill his best fat lamb to atone.
He was unrepentant, so his offering was not respected.

Dec 19, 2009
Each one of us has the responsibility to follow the Lord's commandments. When we do so and offer the Lord a sacrifice, he will be satisfied. Otherwise, he will not.