Olympic Games: Bridge, chess & tug of war apply for 2020 inclusion

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 27, 2013
BBC Sport - Olympic Games: Bridge, chess & tug of war apply for 2020 inclusion
Would you consider chess and bridge to be sports?

The full list of 26 sports to apply is: Air Sports, American football, baseball-softball, bowls, bowling, bridge, chess, dance sport, floorball, flying disc, karate, korfball, netball, orienteering, polo, racquetball, roller sports, sport climbing, squash, sumo, surfing, tug of war, underwater sports, waterski and wakeboard and wushu.

Well, whatever your view, you might be watching them in the 2020 Olympics.

V

Viligant_Warrior

If they drop wrestling and include these non-sports, I won't watch. I'm guessing there are millions who agree with me.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

The full list of 26 sports to apply is: Air Sports, American football, baseball-softball, bowls, bowling, bridge, chess, dance sport, floorball, flying disc, karate, korfball, netball, orienteering, polo, racquetball, roller sports, sport climbing, squash, sumo, surfing, tug of war, underwater sports, waterski and wakeboard and wushu.

I stopped watching the Olympics years ago.

3Scoreand10

Tug of war sounds like certian gold for the US. Our team would certainly be made up of NFL linemen.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
If they drop wrestling and include these non-sports, I won't watch. I'm guessing there are millions who agree with me.
Whats wushu? and korfball?

I didn't even know there was underwater sports.

Jan 27, 2013
chess and bridge. how many nfl linemen or sumo wrestlers,would get into these teams.
considering not long ago, i posted about a 11 year old, young lady, who is a chess, grand master on cc new forums. lol

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I didn't see dodgeball on the list.

Is it already in?

V

Viligant_Warrior

chess and bridge. how many nfl linemen or sumo wrestlers,would get into these teams.
considering not long ago, i posted about a 11 year old, young lady, who is a chess, grand master on cc new forums. lol
By the same token, how many grand masters does it take to tackle an NFL running back?

Or run Messi off the ball?

V

Viligant_Warrior

Oh, and by the way ...

How many grand master would ever qualify to get the chance to do those things? But things are not always what they seem:

Then again,
Baltimore Ravens' guard John Urschel is a math whiz

Athletes Who Play Chess

NBA, MLB, FIFA, NHL ... atheletes from all sports are very good chess players. How many chess grand masters are good strikers, linebackers, or power forwards?

Jan 27, 2013
Oh, and by the way ...

How many grand master would ever qualify to get the chance to do those things? But things are not always what they seem:

Then again,
Baltimore Ravens' guard John Urschel is a math whiz

Athletes Who Play Chess

NBA, MLB, FIFA, NHL ... atheletes from all sports are very good chess players. How many chess grand masters are good strikers, linebackers, or power forwards?
and how much dose the olympics pay.you can see them all, giving up the day job. to win a gold meddle. so how would it work pro v amateur. (non payed, sports man/woman.) i though thats what the olympic is for non payed sport person, yet they had pro tennis, players in the last one. lol

V

Viligant_Warrior

and how much dose the olympics pay.
Don't know, since I've never participated. Ask Michael Phelps. He's worth millions now. Maybe he'll answer your question. Or maybe that example just did?

Kasparov and Wesley So seem to be doing pretty well, too, for chess players.

Jan 27, 2013
Kasparov v n short was on uk tv years ago. cant remember, what he was pay, but would guess at being in the millions.
just for this one match with short.(kasparov pay check for the match)

T

TecumsehGR

Wouldn't mind seeing baseball and football included. I'll take that over events like dressage any day.

Jan 27, 2013
Wouldn't mind seeing baseball and football included. I'll take that over events like dressage any day.
i agree, both being a sport. big money sports. so would fall again, why play for pea nut, compared to the million, some already get for playing these sport. etc

T

TecumsehGR

i agree, both being a sport. big money sports. so would fall again, why play for pea nut, compared to the million, some already get for playing these sport. etc
National pride, gold medals, and recognition for being an Olympic athletes -- the same reasons why NBA, Euroleague, and other professional basketball players compete in the Olympics.