On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

phil112

Brother, I am not God, so I don't know what spirit is in OP, I think he want to clarify that Love is the spirit of God law.

So do Paul. For the Lord work without love mean nothing but sin.
Jackson, let go of the law. It is a taskmaster. It is bondage. Paul knew exactly what he was talking about. Don't be so arrogant as to put words in Paul's mouth. Christ is the only one that ever did that.
And as for the OP, it had nothing to do with the law.

That kind of giving is always motivated by love. Case in point:
Cornell said he sees God’s purpose for him in all that’s happened.“I’m finding that God is the reason I’m here,” he told KMPH. “He’s got a higher purpose for me. I’m just trying to follow his will, and let his will be done and see what happens.”
KMPH reported that after its story broke some have stopped by the Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center and offered donations to Cornell; a few members of the Fresno County Deputy Sheriff’s Association even dropped off barbecue.
Practically Penniless Man Who Finds $125,000 Cash Does the Right Thing With It — But His Actions Spark Even Better News | Video | TheBlaze.com

Obey all the laws you want. They will never persuade you to do what love will.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Jackson, let go of the law. It is a taskmaster. It is bondage. Paul knew exactly what he was talking about. Don't be so arrogant as to put words in Paul's mouth. Christ is the only one that ever did that.
And as for the OP, it had nothing to do with the law.

That kind of giving is always motivated by love
I don't understand what you mean brother,
Jesus said all law hang on love, are you agree with Jesus?

You said that kind of giving is always motivated by love, what kind of giving do you mean?

I Corinthian 13:

3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing

how you interpret this verse brother?

john832

May 31, 2013
Eactly, if we love God with our whole heart and love others as we love ourselves there is no need for the commandments because we won't do those things.
I hear this a lot, then I read Rom 7...

Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
Rom 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
Rom 7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
Rom 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
Rom 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Rom 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Rom 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Paul seemed to be having a great deal of difficulty twenty some years AFTER his conversion living up to this.

john832

May 31, 2013
"Utter rot"? Why do you despise the message from Christ, that Paul brought us, so much?
The law was a schoolmaster. Children go to school. Why do you keep failing first grade? Are you EVER going to grow up?
First of all, Christ is the authority and His word comes first. Paul wrote in complete agreement with Christ although some of it is difficult to understand...

2Pe 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
2Pe 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

So to understand what Paul wrote, we don't throw out what Christ says, we have to reconcile perceived differences with Christ's words being the overriding authority. Paul, himself, tells us this...

1Co 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
1Co 1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

The schoolmaster was simply the animal sacrifices that foreshadowed Christ's perfect sacrifice.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2011
"Utter rot"? Why do you despise the message from Christ, that Paul brought us, so much?
The law was a schoolmaster. Children go to school. Why do you keep failing first grade? Are you EVER going to grow up?
I wish you could set aside your demon like qualities and debate the issues as a Christian. Your debates of my issues sound like the reports I have read of what it is like to debate demons in demon possessed people. It is filled with "you hate" "you fail" "despise". The issues here are serious. You debate your right to use a lot worse than "you fool" against me personally and ignore the issues. The issues count, I don't. Your view of Paul, God, and what God wants us to know of Him is not the same as what scripture says. This is a Christian based forum, a place to come to the Lord.

P

phil112

I wish you could set aside your demon like qualities and debate the issues as a Christian. Your debates of my issues sound like the reports I have read of what it is like to debate demons in demon possessed people. It is filled with "you hate" "you fail" "despise". The issues here are serious. You debate your right to use a lot worse than "you fool" against me personally and ignore the issues. The issues count, I don't. Your view of Paul, God, and what God wants us to know of Him is not the same as what scripture says. This is a Christian based forum, a place to come to the Lord.
I have laid bare all the false doctrine you endorse. I have laid bare all the lies you live by daily. The word of God, sharper than any two edged sword, has cut you to the very marrow. I have grown tired of your rejection of scripture, your continual twisting, perverting, and ignoring clear scripture. Nothing in the bible tells me to treat false doctrine and those who teach it, with kindness or kid gloves.
You rejected that approach first. When you talk, I no longer see someone who is misguided and in need of correction. I see someone who will pervert the very gospel that Christ died to bring us. Until you circumsize your ears and heart, you need not look to me for sympathy. My God tells me to speak and hold not my peace when confronted with false doctrine. I bring scripture to enforce every point I make and you stick your fingers in your ears.

Christ taught Paul what to say. You reject Paul's teachings. There is no other logical conclusion to come to other than you hate the gospel. It convicts you and you can't deal with being wrong.

noisepollution460.jpg

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
I have laid bare all the false doctrine you endorse. I have laid bare all the lies you live by daily. The word of God, sharper than any two edged sword, has cut you to the very marrow. I have grown tired of your rejection of scripture, your continual twisting, perverting, and ignoring clear scripture. Nothing in the bible tells me to treat false doctrine and those who teach it, with kindness or kid gloves.
You rejected that approach first. When you talk, I no longer see someone who is misguided and in need of correction. I see someone who will pervert the very gospel that Christ died to bring us. Until you circumsize your ears and heart, you need not look to me for sympathy. My God tells me to speak and hold not my peace when confronted with false doctrine. I bring scripture to enforce every point I make and you stick your fingers in your ears.

Christ taught Paul what to say. You reject Paul's teachings. There is no other logical conclusion to come to other than you hate the gospel. It convicts you and you can't deal with being wrong.

View attachment 80376
Jesus told His disciples to follow the Law and teach others to do so.

If you choose not to follow the Law, and teach others not to do it,

You will be least in the Kingdom of God. (Matthew 5) Plain and simple.

A

Ariel82

hmmm and to think that this thread might have been about the two great commandments of God.

i'm kind of disappointed.

[h=3]Romans 14:4-6[/h]New King James Version (NKJV)

[SUP]4 [/SUP]Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.

[SUP]5 [/SUP]One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. [SUP]6 [/SUP]He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord;[SUP][a][/SUP] and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.

I do what God ask of me and He tells me this:

[h=3]Romans 14
1 Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things.[/h]
notice the one who is eating only veggies and observing one day are those "weak in faith" but God is able to build that faith and He is commands folks to NOT DISPUTE OVER doubtful things....

Romans 14
[SUP]2 [/SUP]For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables. [SUP]3 [/SUP]Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him. [SUP]4 [/SUP]Who are you to judge another’s servant?

do you not see it at work in this forum and this thread?

those who keep the Sabbath judge those who do not keep it, and those who do not keep the "sabbath laws" show contempt/despise those who do.

it should not be so.

both parties are wrong.

God says not to judge those who eat meat = those who esteem each day the same.

God says do not despise those who eat only veggies = those who keep the Sabbath law.

for BOTH do it unto God who is Master.

P

phil112

.......................i'm kind of disappointed.................................
those who keep the Sabbath judge those who do not keep it, and those who do not keep the "sabbath laws" show contempt/despise those who do.

it should not be so.

both parties are wrong.

I can only conclude you are referring to me somewhere in this post.
I'm disappointed in people that pop in on a thread and come to conclusions without understanding the topic and people involved. Let me clue you in a bit. I have never criticized anyone for keeping the sabbath. If one chooses to observe the sabbath they are free to do so. To present it as a commandment is false doctrine. I despise false doctrine.

If you think you have no business defending the word when someone lies about it, you don't want to become a christian. That is part of the job.

C

chubbena

View attachment 80376
This was to fulfill the word of Isaiah the prophet. "Lord, who has believed our message and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?"
For this reason they could not believe, because, as Isaiah says elsewhere" " He has blinded their eyes and deadened their hearts, so they can neither see with their eyes. nor understand with their hearts, nor turn - and I would heal them."
Isaiah said this because he saw Jesus' glory and spoke about him....
Jesus cried out, "When a man believes in me, he does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. When he looks at me, he sees the one who sent me. I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness. As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it. There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day. For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it. I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say."

Drett

Feb 16, 2013
Another law verses grace thread where people are getting emotional and barely anyone is supporting their argument with scripture. Why did Jesus tell all his followers to do as the Pharisee say not do, not long before he ascended ? Why, after a few centuries past, did the laws start to unravel ? Not immediately.