Once fallen, now back a saint

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

Elisa

I know God is full of forgiveness, but there is something that puzzles me at the moment. So you say you are a Christian, then you go on and live in sin, hurting people around you, refusing to change your way of life, giving yourself totally to the pleasures of this world, sinning against God, others and yourself. Then one day all roads close before you and you remember you fell, and turn back. So now you are a saint again, living happily and without a care, still enjoying some of the benefits you got while being away from God, while other people still suffer the consequences of your sinful actions. It puzzles me.

K

kenisyes

As a saint, you are also called to do whatever good you can. In fact, one of the reasons God saves us is so He can make a difference in the world through us. Part of your ministry as a priest in the kingdom of priests is to start praying for God to heal those consequences. If He tells you to do anything, go do it.

U

Ugly

Whats so puzzling? Lets say i go out and shoot someone. Then later repent and come back to God. Does that mean that person is any less dead? Is the family left behind any less hurting just because i found God. Finding God doesn't change your past actions or the consequences you put into motion in the physical world around us. No where in the bible does it say that. God doesn't magically undo all of our wrongs, or stop the consequences of our bad behavior just because we found Him. A person in prison who finds God doesn't suddenly deserve to be out of prison. While God may have forgiven him, he is still subject to paying for his crimes according to the laws of the land, he is not free of consequence.
I'm actually not sure where you got the idea that your actions would stop having consequences just because there is a change in your spirit?

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
When I first saw the thread title I was kinda concerned that it was about me. Then I read the post and realized it was about me (unintentionally I'm sure). I grew up in the faith and made a decision for Christ young, however spent my 20's living in sin, hurting people, etc. I hit the crossroads and turned back, that's where the accuracy ends.

Yes, there are those others who bear the scars of my sinful acts, but to say that someone has somehow received long term benefit from our sinful lives couldn't be farther from the truth. I have yet to have met a solid Christian that doesn't daily regret the things they have done in their pasts and many of us carry a burden of shame that hinders our daily lives. For those who's sin landed them in the legal system we carry long term consequences beyond what the legal system doles out. Difficulty finding housing, difficulty securing work (many employers won't touch someone with a criminal background no matter how long ago it was) so to say that we live "happily without a care" likewise couldn't be farther from reality.

Quite honestly as I look back at those years, I can find no personal gain or benefit from those years, only the comfort that my Lord will redeem those years and in some way use them to His glory.

Feb 10, 2008
When I first saw the thread title I was kinda concerned that it was about me. Then I read the post and realized it was about me (unintentionally I'm sure). I grew up in the faith and made a decision for Christ young, however spent my 20's living in sin, hurting people, etc. I hit the crossroads and turned back, that's where the accuracy ends.

Yes, there are those others who bear the scars of my sinful acts, but to say that someone has somehow received long term benefit from our sinful lives couldn't be farther from the truth. I have yet to have met a solid Christian that doesn't daily regret the things they have done in their pasts and many of us carry a burden of shame that hinders our daily lives. For those who's sin landed them in the legal system we carry long term consequences beyond what the legal system doles out. Difficulty finding housing, difficulty securing work (many employers won't touch someone with a criminal background no matter how long ago it was) so to say that we live "happily without a care" likewise couldn't be farther from reality.

Quite honestly as I look back at those years, I can find no personal gain or benefit from those years, only the comfort that my Lord will redeem those years and in some way use them to His glory.
Sadly I had nothing real to contribute to this thread, but I have to say that I also thought it was about you. :) And even after reading it, every time I saw the title I still thought it was directly referencing you. :/

Sep 25, 2012
I know God is full of forgiveness, but there is something that puzzles me at the moment. So you say you are a Christian, then you go on and live in sin, hurting people around you, refusing to change your way of life, giving yourself totally to the pleasures of this world, sinning against God, others and yourself. Then one day all roads close before you and you remember you fell, and turn back. So now you are a saint again, living happily and without a care, still enjoying some of the benefits you got while being away from God, while other people still suffer the consequences of your sinful actions. It puzzles me.
Speaking from experience here, and just a thought: We shouldn't live as if we never sinned, or that we weren't affected at all by what happened, however we are to rejoice in the LORD for where He brought us from, for His love, mercy, grace, compassion, and forgiveness to us. It's just like how we need to look back at our past in a positive aspect from time to time in life, and share that testimony with others for God's honor and glory, and the building up of His kingdom....but DON'T focus on it, and allow Satan to use it against us, or to make us feel guilty.We rejoice in the righteousness of God, and that He has convicted our heart, to the point that we just can't ignore or deny Him, and that He has drawn us nigh to Him again. As far as still enjoying benefits we got while being away from God, that's typically the fleshly desire we have, and it's temptation that Satan loves to use against us. Then sometimes, it's a case of where God blessed us with something, despite the fact we were away from Him and where we needed to be with Him, so that it would serve as a reminder to us, that no matter what's going on, no matter where we are in life, etc. He is still God, the Almighty, Lord, Savior, Creator, Master, Alpha and Omega, the Beginning, and the End....that He loves us unconditionally no matter what we may do, and that He is right there waiting for us to turn back to Him, just like the Prodigal son.That although we're so undeserving of His blessings, He still pours them upon us abundantly, not for our own sake, but for His. He knows that it will open our spiritual eyes, to see Him again, which is going to hit us like a ton of bricks so to speak, and stop us in our tracks. Take us from the broad path of wickedness, unrighteousness, selfishness, etc. and put us back on the narrow path of His pureness, righteousness,holiness, selflessness, and living for Him. In accordance of His plan, calling, and will for this walk of life.