once saved always saved?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

dianalaneph

[h=1]Once saved always saved?[/h][HR][/HR]Subscribe to our Question of the Week:
[HR][/HR]
Question: "Once saved always saved?"

Answer:
Once a person is saved are they always saved? When people come to know Christ as their Savior, they are brought into a relationship with God that guarantees their salvation as eternally secure. Numerous passages of Scripture declare this fact.

(a) Romans 8:30 declares, "And those He predestined, He also called; those He called, He also justified; those He justified, He also glorified." This verse tells us that from the moment God chooses us, it is as if we are glorified in His presence in heaven. There is nothing that can prevent a believer from one day being glorified because God has already purposed it in heaven. Once a person is justified, his salvation is guaranteed - he is as secure as if he is already glorified in heaven.

(b) Paul asks two crucial questions in Romans 8:33-34 "Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died more than that, who was raised to life - is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us." Who will bring a charge against God's elect? No one will, because Christ is our advocate. Who will condemn us? No one will, because Christ, the One who died for us, is the one who condemns. We have both the advocate and judge as our Savior.

(c) Believers are born again (regenerated) when they believe (John 3:3; Titus 3:5). For a Christian to lose his salvation, he would have to be un-regenerated. The Bible gives no evidence that the new birth can be taken away.

(d) The Holy Spirit indwells all believers (John 14:17; Romans 8:9) and baptizes all believers into the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:13). For a believer to become unsaved, he would have to be "un-indwelt" and detached from the Body of Christ.

(e) John 3:15 states that whoever believes in Jesus Christ will "have eternal life." If you believe in Christ today and have eternal life, but lose it tomorrow, then it was never "eternal" at all. Hence if you lose your salvation, the promises of eternal life in the Bible would be in error.

(f) For the most conclusive argument, Scripture says it best itself, "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 8:38-39). Remember the same God who saved you is the same God who will keep you. Once we are saved we are always saved. Our salvation is most definitely eternally secure!

D

dianalaneph

credits from gotquestions.org

Dec 12, 2013
Amen and I will say a double AMEN...Christ saves to the uttermost and will lose nothing, but raise it up at the last day...

Ecclesiastes 3.......Whatsoever God does it is ETERNAL...nothing added nor taken away from it and he does it this way so men may fear before him...If he saves you it is eternal period.....Saved, sealed, justified and sanctified (positionally) in Christ for ever....ALL based upon Christ and his finished work......by grace dia faith<---HIS FAITH!

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
Doesn't osas eliminate free will? While God is true to his promise and won't renege, people aren't programmed robots, but are capable of changing their minds. Osas promotes the idea that God gives us no choice. It also eliminates the need for obedience and assures that the worst unrepentant hypocrite is guaranteed salvation. I still think that osas is a dangerous philosophy to espouse. If there is never any danger of falling away, people have no motivation to keep the faith. And if we are saved regardless of having a change of heart, then there's no need for judgement. While I believe God will save all who abide in him, I also believe that God is not mocked. We have a choice, and one of those choices is to walk away from God's saving grace. Osas omits choice. jmo

E

ember

Dear Jesus not again

I'm praying....I'm not blaspheming

not again not again not again

valiant

Mar 22, 2015
Doesn't osas eliminate free will?

why should it? When my son was 7 he had to do very much what I wanted, or else lol, but he still had free will. what he did not have free will to do was leave the family. When we have been saved by the grace of God we still have free will, and if we are disobedient we will get a walloping, but we do not have freewill to leave the family.

While God is true to his promise and won't renege, people aren't programmed robots, but are capable of changing their minds.
On many things, yes. But not on whether the grace of God is acting on them.

Osas promotes the idea that God gives us no choice.
Nonsense, we are OSAS because we made the choice. But once we have put ourselves into His hands to be saved certainly there is no going back BECAUSE HE WILL DO HIS JOB.

It also eliminates the need for obedience and assures that the worst unrepentant hypocrite is guaranteed salvation.
'Let us do evil that good may come, Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Now I wonder who was accused of teaching that?

Perhaps you should consider the fact that unrepentant hypocrites never had their natures changed in the first place?

I still think that osas is a dangerous philosophy to espouse. If there is never any danger of falling away, people have no motivation to keep the faith.
I had this strange idea that God worked by love not by fear. I wonder where I got that from? You sound as though you will never do anything unless you are promised a beating.

And if we are saved regardless of having a change of heart, then there's no need for judgement.
Now you are just being absurd. If someone is saved they have received a new heart. They have had a change of heart. That is one of the important aspects of being saved.

While I believe God will save all who abide in him, I also believe that God is not mocked. We have a choice, and one of those choices is to walk away from God's saving grace.
Do you think the Good Shepherd will just wave goodbye? He seeks it UNTIL HE FINDS IT.

Osas omits choice. jmo
Not a very wise opinion :)