One step forward, 10 steps back. Help!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

godbeforeme

Will I ever be good enough for God? I try and read my bible and try to live by the commandments and teaching I've read. But it only takes certain things to irk me and I just lash out and then instantly regret it. Maybe I'm not strong enough in God yet...I mean, I've only been really trying to change my ways and read his word for about 2 weeks now. I just want to be strong and trust and have faith in god and just love everyone as he says, but its hard as heck. I don't know how to go from being a closed off person and showing no emotion to loving everyone around me and not comparing myself or my life to others. I don't know what to do with myself.

JimJimmers

Apr 26, 2012
It's a process, don't sweat it. :) To answer your first question, no. Not one of us will ever be good enough for God. His gift of salvation is a free gift. All our righteousness is as filthy rags. Just keep reading the Bible (I'd focus on the New Testament for now) And pray for guidance. Love in Christ, -JIM

G

godbeforeme

It's a process, don't sweat it. :) To answer your first question, no. Not one of us will ever be good enough for God. His gift of salvation is a free gift. All our righteousness is as filthy rags. Just keep reading the Bible (I'd focus on the New Testament for now) And pray for guidance. Love in Christ, -JIM
How long of a process though? I just want to know about this awesome God who created us and just be surrounded by his love, but its literally like a daily struggle sometimes and I just feel so unworthy. /:

M

Mammachickadee

Will I ever be good enough for God? I try and read my bible and try to live by the commandments and teaching I've read. But it only takes certain things to irk me and I just lash out and then instantly regret it. Maybe I'm not strong enough in God yet...I mean, I've only been really trying to change my ways and read his word for about 2 weeks now. I just want to be strong and trust and have faith in god and just love everyone as he says, but its hard as heck. I don't know how to go from being a closed off person and showing no emotion to loving everyone around me and not comparing myself or my life to others. I don't know what to do with myself.
There is no "graduation day" for Christians. You will always be tempted by the same old sins because the Devil works on probabilities and what he sees you are most likely to do in sin. Keep in mind, though, that the Devil has already lost the war even if he tries a skirmish or two. If you are justified through Christ's redemption the slate is clean no matter what you do. Nothing you do will change the fact that you will sin because you are human... but nothing will change that you are free from sin. That is to say, Because Christ died for you and God chose you to be His own, you can do right instead of wrong... through His power. I too have tempter issues with certain people (mainly my mother). As soon as I do wrong, though, the right thing to do is verbally admit you are wrong to that person and move on. In your heart you will know you are wrong and a pure admission of guilt brings you right back to His side. However, it's when you refuse out of pride to admit you were wrong that a habit becomes a downward spiral. It takes actively letting go of your anger and understanding that we are all human; we all sin; and we are all equal in God's eyes... toward love, respect, and civility. Do you have to always agree with a person? Of course not. Where's the consecration in that? However, there's a way and a time to agree or disagree.
If your struggle is being closed off in a way that keeps you from being a ministry, ask the Lord to give you a love. If you simply close yourself off because you are afraid, remind yourself that God made you who you are and you have nothing to regret anymore. He saved you and gives you the power to be holy and strong in this world. Your life is now for God. Romans 12

W

woka

I know you are doing a great job, one day at a time, don't beat yourself up, we are all human and all make mistakes. The process of surrendering to the Lord'd will is just that a process. He sees your heart, He knows what you feel, and how you think. The change already happened when you accepted Him as your saviour, the rest will follow in His perfect timing.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
2 weeks is barely a start. It's a lifetime effort to know and experience God, one in which we will always struggle and feel unworthy. While we are here there is purification, which is again a lifetime process, but once there we will be purified, the end result you seek but will not find here.

The key decision for you is whether God is real or not. If He is indeed real, the He'll be real tomorrow, and next month, and next year, and when you're 50, no matter what you do and struggle with. Nothing's going to change overnight, so let today's worries be enough for today, and trust that He'll be there tomorrow to deal with them in their own time.

U

Ugly

Being a Christian is always a daily struggle. Whether its 2 weeks, 2 years or 20 years. Our minds and bodies and sinful and lean towards wanting or having a tendency to do wrong, while our spirit wants to do right. As Paul said 'i do what i do not want to do'.
You're talking about personal change, and thinking in two weeks you should magically change. Personal change doesn't happen in a few days. It takes years. There are things about myself i've been trying to change since i was a teen, and still have struggles with.
And yes, you are unworthy. We ALL are unworthy. That's what grace is all about. Grace is giving special favor or treatment to someone who doesn't deserve it. We're all sinners. We all struggle. The key is not to let the struggle affect you.
It helps to have a realistic view. If you have a strong friendship with someone, that friendship didn't get strong after 2 weeks. Those kinds of friendships take time to cultivate. And work. You have good days and bad days with that person, but you never give up on them. This is how you have to view your walk with God. The beginning of a new friendship, in a sense, one that takes time and work, having good days and bad.
Its understandable to feel a level of frustration and that you aren't doing good enough. But remember, our goal here is not perfection. Our goal is to know we do our best each day. But allow yourself to also walk in God's grace so that you don't allow satan to gain a foothold in your life and let guilt seep in. Just keep trying, doing your best, don't beat yourself up for not being where you want to be. Following God is a never ending thing. You strive to be at a certain level, but as you grow towards that level you find there are higher levels you want to reach. And it goes on and on like that. So just relax, thank God for His grace, keep reading and praying and living right and don't worry about the rest.