Opinions on interpretation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Z

zaoman32

I work third shift and I came home this morning and opened my facebook page to this post:

"She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on sin no more." ] (John 8:11 NASB)
To me one of the greatest things ever said by our Jesus. When He spoke "Go from now on sin no more" He didn't just making a statement -He created a Reality of sinlessness for her you and me. We don't have to sin"

Now...

Either I have always completely misinterpreted this passage, and am completely off my rocker, or this, in and of itself, is a misinterpretation.

Thoughts? Pro, or con, doesn't matter, I would just like to hear everyone's opinion on this. I already have my own, and would just like to hear yours.

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
When I typed in "sin no more" in the e-sword application, it gave these results according to the KJV:

Jer_31:34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
Joh_5:14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.
Joh_8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
Rom_7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom_7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Heb_10:18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.
Heb_10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

Yes, I agree that Jesus did not tell the woman to do something impossible. Even the example of Jesus fasting for 40 days and nights in the wilderness is not impossible for us. Everybody has a next step, and eventually the next step is to sin no more at all.

Mat_21:21 Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.
Mar_11:23 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.

The appearance of someone truly wanting and trying to sin no more looks something like this:

Luk 10:36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
Luk 10:37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.
Luk 10:38 Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.
Luk 10:39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.
Luk 10:40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
Luk 10:41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
Luk 10:42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

Z

zaoman32

I agree with you, but here is what the person was getting at, (and I know because I've sat in lessons they have taught before). He honestly and truly believes that once you receive Christ, and you build your relationship with Him, you will stop sinning. Not you choose to stop sinning, not God helps you with your temptations, but you just stop sinning period. Like an automatic type of thing. I remember over the course of this past year that I have used to strengthen my faith in God and be a more Godly man, I heard this person use those words and I think to myself "That's awesome, I get myself built up in Christ and my sinning rollercoaster will be done and I won't have to worry about it anymore." That turned out to be a pretty damaging thing, because of course, I would end up sinning and the first thought in my head is "I must not have God's favor" or "I must not be good enough for God" Thankfully I was born and raised in the church and knew those thoughts were wrong, and knew I needed to seek God's guidance on the issue.

But what about the new believer? What would the new believer think when they hear, "If your relationship with God is right you won't sin anymore" not "don't sin anymore", "you won't sin anymore". What is a new believer supposed to do with that when they end up screwing up? "I must not be good enough"? It's kind of scary if you ask me.

I got way off track because I guess I'm more passionate about it than I thought, but I do agree with you totally. "Go and sin no more" as opposed to "You won't sin anymore." One is a command, the other is an absolute.

T

Trax

I work third shift and I came home this morning and opened my facebook page to this post:

"She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on sin no more." ] (John 8:11 NASB)
Jesus, by the law, couldn't bring a charge against her, because He wasn't an eye witness. But He
acknowledged that He knew what happened, by saying, sin no more.

K

kenisyes

As long as we live, we still must be tempted. We have a choice, to sin or to be victorious. Jesus earned the power for us to be able to make the choice. The quote was Him reminding us we have the choice.

Dec 14, 2009

To me one of the greatest things ever said by our Jesus. When He spoke "Go from now on sin no more" He didn't just making a statement -He created a Reality of sinlessness for her you and me. We don't have to sin"

Now...

Either I have always completely misinterpreted this passage, and am completely off my rocker, or this, in and of itself, is a misinterpretation.

Thoughts? Pro, or con, doesn't matter, I would just like to hear everyone's opinion on this. I already have my own, and would just like to hear yours.
Personally, seeing as this is on the topic of interpretation, it IS really down to one's own 'heart' what way to take this. And it comes to different people in different ways. And you know, one day it could mean something, and another something different.

To me, it shows that the 'unsaved', are saved. Jesus took one sentence 'let the one who is without sin cast the first stone', and was able to disperse an angry mob.

You know, they too were sinners. And they tried to test Jesus to have him killed, and also wanted the woman stoned.

Both these things are sins.

Jesus never said 'you horrible people, you are also sinning'. He didn't point a finger. He simply, matter of factly said 'let he who is without sin throw the first stone at her'.

It says so much to me about how Jesus will treat the people who are 'sinners' in the eyes of men. And it also says a lot to me about man's own need to judge outwardly.

Jesus could have. He could have judged. And as he said 'My judgement would be true, because I know where I have been and where I am going, but you do not. You judge purely in a human way'.

But he chose not to judge them, nor her. 'I judge no man'.

It says a lot too, for me, about the value of inward judgement rather than outward. I have also sinned.

So I should NOT be in the mob of people stoning others. To stone is a sin in itself. And to want Jesus dead, I commit murder in my heart. So her sin is no less than mine.

She judged nobody either. She was to become a victim as well as a perpetrator of sin. And it is a vicious circle. One Jesus stopped with a simple truth. 'You are sinning right now. So go ahead, stone a sinner'.

I love this story.

The 'go forth and sin no more' part. It is strange that the encouragement Jesus gave was only heard by the woman and not the mob. He waited till they left.

He could have said 'all of you, go and sin no more'. But it was the person committing the easily identifiable sin that would hear him. The judgers, I suspect, would not. They would be to carry on in a mob against him.

'When I have wrought with you for my name's sake, then you will know that I am the Lord'.

I also always remember 'The harlots and tax collectors will SEE the Kingdom of God before you will'.

They will believe upon what Jesus came to teach. 'The kingdom of God is of peace, love and joy in the Holy Spirit'.

'For the letter brings death, but the spirit brings life'.

Jesus makes the whole bible make sense.

'I have not come to condemn the world, but to save it'.

Before Jesus, we had imperfect people, prophets who also sinned. He came perfect, and is 'known as he is fully known (by God)'.

Yet STILL chose not to judge. It all comes like a jigsaw.

Feb 11, 2012

Now...

Dont trust you own opinion, trust the word of God, what Jesus said was true, to "Go and sin no more" a simple command most who profess Christ have a hard time dealing with, another words, the sin stops in repentance, you do not get saved in your vile sins, you forsake them because you have free will and ability, and God commands you to do so.

Many will argue to against this truth, and make excuses why they can remain in bondage to sin and rebellion and still be saved, but this wasnt the message that Jesus came to preach!

The kingdom of Heaven is taken by violence!
Mat 11:12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of Heaven is taken by violence, and the violent take it by force.
Jesus boldly proclaimed who the greatest preacher of all times was, and it was John the Baptist! He preached repentance, and prove your repentance by your deeds, another words, the sin stops in repentance,(cutting it off at the root) you die with Christ, and crucify your flesh as commanded to enter the kingdom with great diligence, passion, and violent force, which is a far cry from the Billy Graham just confess, then receive Jesus into your heart!
Jesus made it clear, as well as John the Baptist, and many other followers of Christ, to take the kingdom of God by force, and the violence that comes from striving to enter, breaking through all the false teachings, that say you can get saved IN your vile sins, Jesus will clean you up, just believe, and you are in!
Does this sound like what Jesus and John the Baptist preached throughout their ministry? Does this sound close to taking the kingdom by violence and force!
I compare this to an army, coming against insurmountable odds, facing the giant so to speak, where the army is far outnumbered, but not defeated less they give up, look for the easy way out, as most professing Christians do today.
When you want something bad enough you will usually do whatever it takes to achieve it, as we see all the great sacrifices athletes make to be the best, as they put all their time and energy in becoming an elite in their chosen sport, but this is short lives, the great force and violence these athletes put fourth are going for nothing but short lived worldly gain and fortune.
Just think what would happen if everyone who professes Christ, put this kind of force, violence, and diligence into rightly dividing the word of God, standing fast against the false sin gospel, instead of defending it, and striving to enter the narrow gate by great force, and violently putting to death their old man, which can only come from real brokenness, clearing away all wrong doing, that only a truly repentant heart can accomplish!
So get ready to fight and strive by force to enter the narrow gate, repent of all vile sins, putting the old man to death once and for all, then stand fast against the forces of evil, the false teachers, and the apostate ministries that proclaim the easy done deal gospel, promising you the easy formula to success, which is a lie.
People spend their whole life perusing their own interests and achievements, usually putting all theyhave into reaching these goals, but neglected the weightier matters of eternal life. They fail to put their time and energy into the truth that transforms a poor helpless sinner, into a valiant warrior for Christ, where their efforts are not in physical prowess, but in spiritual power and violent force, where the power comes from the mighty word of God, not man, not man’s opinions, and especially not from the great reformation that has left the true gospel according to godliness in shambles, leaving many in bondage to an easy salvation void of any real works of repentance, devotion, commitment and force to enter the narrow gate.
Jesus made the way, He stated that the only way is through Him and many will reject this, and His free gift, but it can only come to the one who forsakes their sins in repentance first, as they seek Him with great force and violence against the wiles of the devil, living a life in obedient faith, not perfection, but open and dedicated to growing more and more in wisdom, love, peace and godliness as the spirit reveals their faults and imperfections, but the big sins of the flesh must be put to death, and kept dead by violence if need be.
This is the way to the kingdom, it’s not an easy path, but like the athlete mentioned above, It’s well worth the final prize which is far better than a mere trophy, endorsements, a huge pay check, that will soon fade away and, add up to nothing but vanity and eternal ruin!
What will a man give in exchange for their soul?
Luk 13:24 Strive to enter in at the narrow gate. For I say to you, many will seek to enter in and shall not be able.
Tommy 12-1-12