Original Song: The Lion & The Lamb

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
F

faith101music

I've been feeling this disconnect being the Psalms, which are the closest thing we can get to original Godly musical inspiration, and modern praise and worship music. Don't get me wrong. I think there are some amazing songs being written, and I'm not approaching this from an "I can do better" point of view. I'm just wondering if, taking the emotional starting point of the Psalms, I can do a bit different. I recently saw an interview of Eugene Peterson (of The Message fame) and Bono (of U2 fame) where they talked about this, and felt encouraged.

This song is my attempt to reflect those Psalms which begin angry and dark, then transform into celebration only at the very, very end. What do you think? Thanks for watching/listening.

John

[video=youtube;3ff7UT152V0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ff7UT152V0[/video]

Test_F_i_2_Luv

Jan 24, 2009
I struggle with the lion/lamb illustration. When I see the phrase and/or pictures of "the Lion and the Lamb", I get concerned...

The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them.
-Isaiah 11:6

The wolf and the lamb will feed together,
and the lion will eat straw like the ox,
and dust will be the serpent’s food.
They will neither harm nor destroy
on all my holy mountain,” -Isaiah 65:25

Setting aside my theological concerns, the video and sound quality are very professional.

F

faith101music

Test_F_i_2_Luv,

Thanks for your words. If I can attempt to reply to your concerns:

I think the essential nature of the Lion/Lamb imagery is about the reconciliation of apparent opposites to peace. That is, they are supposed to not co-exist, but they do. So, what seems to be "against Nature" is actually not, because it agrees with God, who governs nature.

So, I took that metaphor and extended it to our dying and being reborn. I think we too often gloss over the dying bit. We're happy to be reborn, but we don't particularly want to die, even though it's necessary. So, I'm borrowing the lion/lamb metaphor, and using it to illustrate the death(lion)/rebirth(lamb) aspect of our lives.

So, it's in the combined aspect of the lion/lamb that we achieve reconciliation with God. We die, we are reborn, and thereby achieve peace. I think for a lot of people the death is a struggle. It's the tricky part of our walk, hence the violent imagery. The blood, of course, isn't ours, but Jesus', and that's where the transformation happens.

Does that make sense?

Test_F_i_2_Luv

Jan 24, 2009
Test_F_i_2_Luv,

Thanks for your words. If I can attempt to reply to your concerns:

I think the essential nature of the Lion/Lamb imagery is about the reconciliation of apparent opposites to peace. That is, they are supposed to not co-exist, but they do. So, what seems to be "against Nature" is actually not, because it agrees with God, who governs nature.

So, I took that metaphor and extended it to our dying and being reborn. I think we too often gloss over the dying bit. We're happy to be reborn, but we don't particularly want to die, even though it's necessary. So, I'm borrowing the lion/lamb metaphor, and using it to illustrate the death(lion)/rebirth(lamb) aspect of our lives.

So, it's in the combined aspect of the lion/lamb that we achieve reconciliation with God. We die, we are reborn, and thereby achieve peace. I think for a lot of people the death is a struggle. It's the tricky part of our walk, hence the violent imagery. The blood, of course, isn't ours, but Jesus', and that's where the transformation happens.

Does that make sense?
I think the essential nature of the Lion/Lamb imagery is about the reconciliation of apparent opposites to peace. Apparent opposites according to who or what, though? Notice, in Scripture, the wolf lays next to the lamb.

In the O.T., the lion is associated with the Tribe of Judah. In Revelations the lion is associated with Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is also the Lamb of God(John 1:29). What I see in the "lion and the lamb", then, is Jesus Christ with Jesus Christ.

I don't see the negative association given to the lion. You've probably seen the religious pictures showing a lion and a lamb? What Scripture are those based on? In Isaiah, it's a wolf laying by the lamb.

Death is a part of life. It's scary because it's mysterious to us. Some leave a lot behind. We're lying to ourselves to either think we can avoid death or to put all our focus on self-gratification during this life. While I have a difficult time with the "Lion and the Lamb", I can see there being "Ly'n and the Lamb". Catchy title idea? :p;):)

F

faith101music

I am seeing both the Lion and the Lamb as Jesus. The Lion is representing the aspect of Jesus which causes us to die to ourselves. The Lamb is the aspect of Jesus which causes our rebirth. So, the two images are being used to represent the dying and rebirth which are essential to Christian life. Both are Jesus. Just different facets of our death/rebirth process.