Ornithology question

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I love the mourning doves and other birds that frequent my garden. I do not know much at all about birds and their habits, but so far two ailing mourning doves have come to my home to die, on separate occasions. Is this because I have fed them a lot?

I know when I used to camp out reading the Word n the Rockies, I put certain wild flowers around my isolated camp in water for the humming birds, and one used to come every morning and go from flower to flower, then he/she would come and hover right at the tip of my nose. This happened every morning until the humming birds left the area.

Then there were these spooky looking birds with the body somewhat like a mourning dove but their faces were like an owl, only they were the size of a dove. Does anyone know what kind of bird this is? These used to come and circle me and my campsite late afternoon or early evening an just sit there. I figure they wanted something to eat, but I did no know what to give them. These birds were in the Rockies also at about 9,500 ft. Does anyone know what kind of bird this is? Thanks. God bless you all.

I

inthewind

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Thanks for the information. I will look up the images... By the way, way back in the 1960's, my uncle was the champion trap shooter of Canada.! I thought I would share that...........

I doubt very much that you overfed the mourning doves thus causing their demise. There are a multitude of possibilities for their deaths.

Bird Watching: Mourning Doves Dying

Necropsy findings and arbovirus surveillance in ... [J Wildl Dis. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Your spooky looking birds, from their demeanor as you described, might be Canada Jays also known as Whiskey Jacks although they don't look like owls all that much but they do love to bum a free meal and are very friendly birds.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Neither of those birds are the one I saw, but they sure are nice birds. Again, it is a little smaller than a dove with the face a lot like an owl, they are grey, and they come in a group of about ten........? In the Rockies, about 9,500 ft.

I

inthewind

Somewhere, at the bottom of a small lake or pond in either South Dakota or Manitoba there lies a rusted out shotgun that a gggrandfather of mine was forced to toss overboard from a rowboat, while blindfolded. One of the beliefs that my ancestors had was that guns were not a good thing and it took a few generations for my relatives to adapt their thinking on the matter and realize guns were not so bad when it brought in extra food during hard times. Now I am not taking anything away from your uncle's trap shooting ability, but, I would guess that your ancestors had a bit of an advantage in the use of firearms what with not having to look over their should every time they shot at something.

I passed on the above information as a stalling tactic because I am puzzled at the identities of your mystery birds and am scratching my head trying to figure out what they migtht be. I suppose it might have been a group of owls (called a parliament) but the behavior would seem out of line with owl behavior.

You might want to peruse this site. http://www.birdguide.com/brdgrps.htm

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Thanks for the LINK. I went through all of them, and absolutely no luck. Now, thanks to your lead I will try finding another similar link. Again, the bird came with several others perching low all around my campsite. The bird is grey or greyish with a face resembing a barn owl, but the bird is small, just smaller than a dove or pigeon........ok, questing on from here. Thanks again.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I'm fairly certain that the bird(s) in question are the infamous "High altitude, low perching, Barn Owl Impersonator(s)......"

They are rarely seen below 9,500 ft, and most often at a campsite in the Rockies........

:)

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
My heart lept because I thought you had the real answer. Well, I suppose in a manner of speaking it is a real answer, but, like so many folks seeking an answer, sometimes they will reject one they do not accept right away. You know; you have spent enough time in the forum

That beautiful, kind of scary, ittle bird and friends used to come around that campsite, but that was in 1972. I don't think you were even born yet? You would have to tell me; I am very slow with numbers.

I'm fairly certain that the bird(s) in question are the infamous "High altitude, low perching, Barn Owl Impersonator(s)......"

They are rarely seen below 9,500 ft, and most often at a campsite in the Rockies........

:)

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
PS.........don't send me them thar smilies.........they are scary too!

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
My heart lept because I thought you had the real answer. Well, I suppose in a manner of speaking it is a real answer, but, like so many folks seeking an answer, sometimes they will reject one they do not accept right away. You know; you have spent enough time in the forum

That beautiful, kind of scary, ittle bird and friends used to come around that campsite, but that was in 1972. I don't think you were even born yet? You would have to tell me; I am very slow with numbers.
This is too, too funny................. (note: no smileycons per request.......but maybe just a wee........)

BOO!

Uh, that's the call of a Boo Bird....................grin........

So, 1972, ok, that COULD explain a lot.........especially considering you were in the Rockies........what with John Denver and all that "Rocky Mountain High" going on............grinning widely........

Your 69, I'm 63.......do the math.........rotflol.........

(ya know, smileycons are much easier........just saying)

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The truth is, those who were not doing a manner of Charles Manson 20 miles away were coming to the Lord and burning their hooch in my fire. One person wanted to repent handing me his hooch to sell so I could eat. Needless to say I set him straight as I put his hooch in the fire. He did finally see light and that very well. I do know what you mean.