Other Faiths

• Thread starter embraceswampcreature
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

embraceswampcreature

So how would everyone feel if they were attracted to someone of a different faith, say Judaism or Islam. Would that factor? Is their faith in God enough? Or does your potential date have to be Christian?
Just curious about everyone's thoughts.

C

Cako53

2 Corinthians 6:14 "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?"

For me I want my relationship with my partner to further my relationship with God and not hinder it.

Wonderland

May 6, 2010
Hi Hon,

I agree with Cako. I have dated several guys, none of whom were "christian" (although some claimed to be christian but never went to church, and certainly didn't act like it.) Even though I had a lot of fun with these guys, and I even truly loved one of them, I never felt fulfilled because they didn't share my excitement over what Jesus had done for me, you know? I tried getting them to come to church, and once in awhile they would, but honestly, they only did it to make me happy. There were a lot of things that they did that I would not do because of my love for Jesus that they just didn't understand, but worse than that, they got me to do things that I said I would never do... it is much easier to fall backwards than it is to climb up...

Now I know your question was specifically about "religious" people of Jewish or Islamic faith. Maybe they would respect your beliefs better than the guys I dated would because they understand more about being "religious," but I can pretty much guarantee they would never truly understand what it means to be redeemed by the blood of Jesus. I know you were talking about dating, and maybe you aren't planning on getting serious at this point, but what if you did fall in love with the person? Would you consider marrying someone who did not believe Jesus when he said, "I am the way, the truth and the life?" What would you teach your children about God? If you decided you did not want to marry someone of a different faith, would you be able to walk away from a person that you truly loved if you knew that is what God wanted you to do?

The Bible gives us guidance on issues like these so we don't get into sticky situations like these and Cako found the Biblical advice for you. If you follow that advice, you will not have to deal with situations and heartaches like the ones I mentioned. The Bible also says that that in marriage "the two will become one flesh" and if the Holy Spirit lives in you, but not in your spouse, you will never truly be united in heart and soul and there will always be strife. I will admit I am married to a Christian man (the last person I dated--he was Christian and he was 'the one'!) and there is no greater moments in our marriage than when we stand together in church, holding hands, singing praises to OUR God! It is an amazing feeling, and I hope that you will have that someday.

In the meantime, let God be "enough" for you. I know that is easier said that done, and I also know the loneliness of being single and the desire to compromise your standards just to be with someone. Take comfort in knowing that God desires a relationship with YOU more than you can desire a relationship with ANYONE ELSE! So if you allow your relationship with God to grow and mature, he will know when you are ready for a romantic relationship and well help you meet the right person at the right time.

Be blessed.

B

BeauBLESSED

If I found myself in a relationship with a female of a different faith to mine, I would use that as an opportunity to explore that faith, as well as share love with them. I think, Caleb, that two people of different faiths will still make it together if they take interest in the faiths of one another and accept them. :)

C

Cako53

If I found myself in a relationship with a female of a different faith to mine, I would use that as an opportunity to explore that faith, as well as share love with them. I think, Caleb, that two people of different faiths will still make it together if they take interest in the faiths of one another and accept them. :)
"Exploring" another faith can make your relationship with God become looser. Jesus if the only way, so exploring those other faiths is pretty much slapping Him in the face. I understand that learning about other beliefs is great, but exploring them is one step to far. The bible is super clear on having a relationship with an unbeliever.

Jan 9, 2009
2 Corinthians 6:14 "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?"

For me I want my relationship with my partner to further my relationship with God and not hinder it.
I cannot think of any better way to put it, Cako. That is EXACTLY how I think it should be

G

godsbluesman

cako is right-do not try an interfaith relationship.that will
Rev 3:16
So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
make you lukewarm

E

embraceswampcreature

"Exploring" another faith can make your relationship with God become looser. Jesus if the only way, so exploring those other faiths is pretty much slapping Him in the face. I understand that learning about other beliefs is great, but exploring them is one step to far. The bible is super clear on having a relationship with an unbeliever.
So you consider these faiths, though they believe in the same God (but of course not Jesus as the son of God), as unbelievers? It seems people assume that I am asking this from a personal standpoint, and in some respects I am, but from a very different perspective than people assume. I was more interested in a traditional Christian viewpoint, and I guess that makes sense. I think its a bit far to say that other faiths are "wicked" though... isn't everyone striving for the same thing, personal redemption and a relationship with God through the words that they believe in?

C

Cako53

So you consider these faiths, though they believe in the same God (but of course not Jesus as the son of God), as unbelievers? It seems people assume that I am asking this from a personal standpoint, and in some respects I am, but from a very different perspective than people assume. I was more interested in a traditional Christian viewpoint, and I guess that makes sense. I think its a bit far to say that other faiths are "wicked" though... isn't everyone striving for the same thing, personal redemption and a relationship with God through the words that they believe in?
That is 100% correct! Jesus is The way, The truth, and The light. No one gets to the Father except through Him. Keywords in there, no one. So people not believeing in Jesus being the Son of God, is an unbeliever, and to put it bluntly, will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

B

BeauBLESSED

That is 100% correct! Jesus is The way, The truth, and The light. No one gets to the Father except through Him. Keywords in there, no one. So people not believeing in Jesus being the Son of God, is an unbeliever, and to put it bluntly, will not inherit the Kingdom of God.
Good work Caleb, but don't forget that variety is the spice of life.

T

tryingtofindhim

So how would everyone feel if they were attracted to someone of a different faith, say Judaism or Islam. Would that factor? Is their faith in God enough? Or does your potential date have to be Christian?
Just curious about everyone's thoughts.

Well, I don't believe they believe in God. They think they are, but to follow the one true God you must accept his son, which they don't. That is very important cause the people you spend the most time with change you. So if you are dating an Islamic without knowing it they will change you so don't :)

rafaelsald

Dec 30, 2009

How do you interpret the words that Jesus said in John 14:6?
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, But by me"

Our God is the only God. The God of the Scripture is the only ONE.
"I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God besides me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me; that they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none besides me. I am the LORD, and there is none else." (Isaiah 45:5-6)

Jesus Christ is the only door, He is the only way for us to have a relationship with God.
" For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus"(1 Timothy 2:5)

Jesus Christ is the Truth. The Truth that frees us from the spiritual blindness due to fall of Adam. Everyone who was not regenerated by the Holy Spirit and did not confess the Lordship of Jesus Christ certainly perish.
"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." (Romans 10:13)

The other religions are false. They do not have the Truth.
"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ." (Colossians 2:8)

Thus, the dating should occur only in the context between people of the same faith (1 Corinthians 7:39, 2 Corinthians 6:14 - 7:1). The Bible clearly teaches that believers cannot have unequally yoked (2 Corinthians 6:14-16).

An intimate relationship with an unbeliever requires leaving the biblical view of Christian life and adopt the worldview of your partner who is quite far from God and spiritually dead in his sins (Ephesians 2:1-3).

Here is another viewpoint of a traditional Christian:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjmSDt-tPAs[/video]

Shalom!