outer space the beyond

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

Bryancampbell

The Bible implies that the earth is flat and the sun, moon and stars orbit our world. I don't think I am going to base the possibility of life elsewhere on what scripture has to say.
Where does it say that?

It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in. - Isaiah 40:22 NASB

Aug 25, 2013
God doesn't mention any other civilization except for mankind.
The fact that Jesus died for MAN and not martians I wouldn't think there are little green men out there in the universe,.
The Bible says nothing about other worlds. There is nothing in scripture, as far as I am aware, to even indicate the possible existence of other planets. So if other worlds are not mentioned, then what leads you to think God would even bother to tell us about other civilizations. For example, are the natives of North America mentioned in the Bible (Book of Mormon aside)? If the natives are not mentioned does that mean they don't really exist? If there are civilizations on earth that don't get billing in scripture then what would the motive be to mention off-world civilizations?

The fact is it now appears that nearly every star has at least one planet and many have multiple worlds. Why would God make all those worlds if he wasn't going to put them to use?

Aug 25, 2013
Cycel said:
The Bible implies that the earth is flat and the sun, moon and stars orbit our world.
Where does it say that?

It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in. - Isaiah 40:22 NASB
Earth is not a circle, it is a sphere. My Bible says the earth 'subscribes a circle' but I should point out a plate subscribes a circle, not a planet.

In your quote the implication is that God looks down on Man and sees all we do, but this is not possible if earth is a sphere. Only if the world was shaped like a plate could God do this. Also, if we look like grasshoppers from his vantage point then he is located just above us in heaven, which seems to be just above the firmament. Note too that the sun, moon and stars are located in the firmament and cover us like a tent. The stars are fixed to the walls of the tent. I think there are references to God moving the sun in the sky and causing the Dog Star (Sirius?) to rise. Remember too that Job describes the firmament as hard as a mirror of cast bronze (it has to be solid to hold back the waters above the firmament). Genesis is not describing a cosmology that we are familiar with. It is not describing a spherical earth.

B

Bryancampbell

Earth is not a circle, it is a sphere. My Bible says the earth 'subscribes a circle' but I should point out a plate subscribes a circle, not a planet.

In your quote the implication is that God looks down on Man and sees all we do, but this is not possible if earth is a sphere. Only if the world was shaped like a plate could God do this. Also, if we look like grasshoppers from his vantage point then he is located just above us in heaven, which seems to be just above the firmament. Note too that the sun, moon and stars are located in the firmament and cover us like a tent. The stars are fixed to the walls of the tent. I think there are references to God moving the sun in the sky and causing the Dog Star (Sirius?) to rise. Remember too that Job describes the firmament as hard as a mirror of cast bronze (it has to be solid to hold back the waters above the firmament). Genesis is not describing a cosmology that we are familiar with. It is not describing a spherical earth.
Dude,

we are talking about people who lived thousands of years ago...circle or sphere, I don't recall the bible talking about pyramid, cube or a cylinder....I'm guessing you want to know if the bible also says about planets. Earth is the only planet in this solar system with life on it. Why would I believe there would be similar life on other planets? Who made television? Humans. Who made radios? Humans. Who made vehicles? Humans. The list goes on, so for aliens to have similar things seems too much of a coincidence. Not only that, but the things we make are made of material that are found on earth. For another planet to build anything like us would imply they share the exact or similar elements that work identical for the use of anything. Earth has so many physical material, I cannot imagine another having a timeline like humans of technology. Now you might say, they are stupid and we are the aliens, would they speak language? Wasn't that something humans are capable of? Animals cannot, so what makes an alien do so too?

There is a huge gap in believing what scientist say. Matter of fact in the 60s they said smoking helps your health...yeah that was long forgotten because they assumed so much.

S

StandStrong

there is no biblical evidence of life on other planets and that is all i need to say that i don't believe their is

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

The bible is not an exhaustive book of every single word or every single thing God ever said. So i don't think using the argument. God said or God didn't say in the bible... is really valid here.

The universe is huge, there are tons of planets. Why couldn't there be other life out there.

I'm Not saying there is, but i'm not saying there isn't. I'm open to the possibility.

M

Married_Richenbrachen

The bible is not an exhaustive book of every single word or every single thing God ever said. So i don't think using the argument. God said or God didn't say in the bible... is really valid here.

The universe is huge, there are tons of planets. Why couldn't there be other life out there.

I'm Not saying there is, but i'm not saying there isn't. I'm open to the possibility.
7 or 8 isn't really tonnes (or even tons)...

K

Kerry

Well I originally believed that the other planets were out there for a reason. My first thought is that we were created to live forever and blessed with the ability to procreate. If no one died, we would fill the Earth and consume its resources and move on to the other planets. However, I rescind that argument. Because God knew in for knowledge that man would sin and bring death. So we must go with the word that says that they were created for signs and wonders.

M

Married_Richenbrachen

The number of confirmed extra-solar planets now stands at about 750. There are several thousand more awaiting confirmation.
But don't you think it's a bit hard to tell? Sure they could be real, but someone could be making them up, too, right?

I just find it a bit hard to trust the space agencies ever since NASA got caught hoaxing the moon landings. At least with planets like Mars and Venus, you don't need a lying space agency to tell you about 'em, 'cause you can see 'em with your own eyes.

Jul 12, 2013
The LORD is His name...

Amos 5:8

He who made the Pleiades and Orion And changes deep darkness into morning, Who also darkens day into night, Who calls for the waters of the sea And pours them out on the surface of the earth, The LORD is His name.

The Book of Enoch the Prophet: Chapter I-XX

III

1. All who are in the heavens know what is transacted there.
2. They know that the heavenly luminaries change not their paths; that each rises and sets regularly, every one at its proper period, without transgressing the commands which they have received. They behold the earth, and understand what is there transacted, from the beginning to the end of it.
3. They see that every work of God is invariable in the period of its appearance. They behold summer and winter: perceiving that the whole earth is full of water; and that the cloud, the dew, and the rain refresh it.

VIII

1. Moreover Azazyel taught men to make swords, knives, shields, breastplates, the fabrication of mirrors, and the workmanship of bracelets and ornaments, the use of paint, the beautifying of the eyebrows, the use of stones of every valuable and select kind, and of all sorts of dyes, so that the world became altered.
2. Impiety increased; fornication multiplied; and they transgressed and corrupted all their ways.
3. Amazarak taught all the sorcerers, and dividers of roots:
4. Armers taught the solution of sorcery;
5. Barkayal taught the observers of the stars;
6. Akibeel taught signs;
7. Tamiel taught astronomy;
8. And Asaradel taught the motion of the moon.
9. And men, being destroyed, cried out; and their voice reached to heaven.

BLB - Amos 5

B

BlackShuck

@the creation tutor
How could you possible know that for a fact and don't say "because it ain't in the bible" unless you personally have visited and explored every planet in this universe(which is billions+ that we even know about) then I find it highly unlikely you could give an accurate answer on this subject. Why would god even bother making all these other planets if he wasn't going to put life on them how do you know he hasn't other creations. I personaly don't believe the "if its not in the bible it isn't true" phrase that you here alot because if God is the almighty create of the universe and as far as science can tell us is it is dam complicated beyond our primitive imaging then how could he some it up all in one book don't you think the bible is on a need to know basis(just an idea that last point i know it sounds a little stupid).

zone

Jun 13, 2010

Isaiah 40
He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

circle, circuit, compass

From chuwg; a circle -- circle, circuit, compass.

see HEBREW chuwg

[חוּג] verb draw round, make a circle (Aramaic circumivit; noun , חוּגְתָּא, circle, vault of heavens) —

Qal Perfect חֹק חָג עלפֿני מים Job 26:10 (compare Proverbs 8:27), hath drawn as a circle a bound, etc., of the horizon-line.

Proverbs 8
26While He had not yet made the earth and the fields, Nor the first dust of the world. 27"When He established the heavens, I was there, When He inscribed a circle on the face of the deep, 28When He made firm the skies above, When the springs of the deep became fixed

Job 26:10
He marks out the horizon on the face of the waters for a boundary between light and darkness.

Job 22
8But as for the mighty man, he had the earth; and the honourable man dwelt in it.

9Thou hast sent widows away empty, and the arms of the fatherless have been broken.

10Therefore snares are round about thee, and sudden fear troubleth thee;

11Or darkness, that thou canst not see; and abundance of waters cover thee.

12Is not God in the height of heaven? and behold the height of the stars, how high they are!

13And thou sayest, How doth God know? can he judge through the dark cloud?

14Thick clouds are a covering to him, that he seeth not; and he walketh in the circuit of heaven.

the circuit of heaven:)

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2013
JOB 26

He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.

Oct 14, 2013
are we here alone in the universe or are there other earthlings out there ?