Peace...How-To

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 10, 2008
So I wish I could write this up as a guide for everyone else, but I don't have an answer to even begin to build upon.

Does anyone have any practical insight (examples maybe?) of how to reconcile the following passage with a sin-free life?

Romans 12:17-18
... Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone.If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

Though we are called to stand apart, we also live in the world, are surrounded by non-christians. In fact we are commanded to go out among them! So how is it possible to do what is right in the eyes of everyone? Even among Christians this seems like an impossibility. Is God simply showing us something to aspire to? It seems like an absolute command. The second verse is a little more flexible, recognizing that we can't force someone else to live peaceably with us even if we are seeking peace with them. But verse 17 seems to be suggesting that we conform to a subjective view of 'right' as it specifically says "... in the eyes of everyone."

Thoughts?

J

Jullianna

As with everything else, we should use Christ as our example. He lived a sinless life. He loved and died for the unlovable (ALL of us would probably fit into that box at one point or another). He shared. He encouraged. He healed. He reached out. He taught. He did everything right, but some hated Him anyway. He still does. They still do.

We can't control how people react to us. We can't force them to live in peace with us. We can only do our best to love them no matter how they feel about us and mirror Christ. In the end, haters gonna hate. :(

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

1 Peter 2:12

Feb 10, 2008
Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

But how? When Romans 12:17 says it must be good in "everyone's eyes"? How could you possibly know what is right in everyone's eyes, let alone live up to such a command?

J

Jullianna

Genesis 2:17 "but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die."

We need to remember that the fruit Adam and Eve ate gave them knowledge of good and evil, not just evil. Even most "bad" people know what is good/right when they see it, even if they won't admit it.

I say that because I have arrested some pretty rough characters in my lifetime, but treated them respectfully anyway. Most respected that in turn.

H

HollyLoree

That verse seems odd to me. These pagans will be glorifying God on the day He visits us? I thought they'd be part of the "weeping and gnashing of teeth". They're going to do both? Praise God and weep and gnash their teeth?

J

Jullianna

That verse seems odd to me. These pagans will be glorifying God on the day He visits us? I thought they'd be part of the "weeping and gnashing of teeth". They're going to do both? Praise God and weep and gnash their teeth?
Romans 14: [SUP]11 [/SUP]It is written:“‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will acknowledge God.’"

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Galatians 5:22-23

CatHerder

Mar 20, 2013
So I wish I could write this up as a guide for everyone else, but I don't have an answer to even begin to build upon.

Does anyone have any practical insight (examples maybe?) of how to reconcile the following passage with a sin-free life?

Romans 12:17-18
... Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone.If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

Though we are called to stand apart, we also live in the world, are surrounded by non-christians. In fact we are commanded to go out among them! So how is it possible to do what is right in the eyes of everyone? Even among Christians this seems like an impossibility. Is God simply showing us something to aspire to? It seems like an absolute command. The second verse is a little more flexible, recognizing that we can't force someone else to live peaceably with us even if we are seeking peace with them. But verse 17 seems to be suggesting that we conform to a subjective view of 'right' as it specifically says "... in the eyes of everyone."

Thoughts?

Romans 12:17-18 (ESV)
Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. 18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.

New Living Translation (NLT)
[SUP]17 [/SUP]Never pay back evil with more evil. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable. [SUP]18 [/SUP]Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone.

(KJV)
17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. 18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

Sometimes it's good to cross-reference among a few different translations. Most other versions of this passage have the meaning more clear that the behavior is to be "in the view of" rather than how the NIV puts it, as "in the eyes of everyone," which can be confusing and taken as "according to public opinion" as well as the intended meaning.

I see the verse in line with the rest of scripture, especially with those that say not to be ashamed of the gospel, and instructions not to hide our light.