Pentacostal

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

Daniel94

Speaking in tongues out loud without an interpreter present is unbiblical. :(
Yeah, but like I said I don't see how Shalalalala and ish kish boo is speaking in tongues. I have always been under the impression it was speaking real languages. My question is how do you interpret shalalalala and ish kish boo?

They would say like "Thank the Lord for shalalalala! Amen!" Thank the Lord for what!? That was my first impression cause I looked at my mom and said "Did he just say shalalala?" I also had this face when I asked her....:confused: I also had an uneasy feeling when all that was going on. :(

No offense to any Pentecostal believers either.

dliz

Filipino Room/Forum Moderator
Jun 13, 2012
In our church we usually sing 2-3 hymns before the sermon starts and the sermon usually lasts around 30mins-1 hour.

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
Yeah, but like I said I don't see how Shalalalala and ish kish boo is speaking in tongues. I have always been under the impression it was speaking real languages. My question is how do you interpret shalalalala and ish kish boo?

They would say like "Thank the Lord for shalalalala! Amen!" Thank the Lord for what!? That was my first impression cause I looked at my mom and said "Did he just say shalalala?" I also had this face when I asked her....:confused: I also had an uneasy feeling when all that was going on. :(

No offense to any Pentecostal believers either.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience today, but "thank the Lord for shalalala" made me seriously lol.

The reason I pointed out that speaking in tongues out loud with no interpreter present was unbiblical is because it's so cut-and-dry. People could go around in circles about "he was speaking in tongues" "no he wasn't" "yes he was" for ages. The bottom line is that he wasn't following the bible.

As far as interpreting goes, if there was someone present with the gift of interpretation, God could have them interpret whatever He wanted to, be it an Earthly language or a heavenly one. If they had a real gift from God. But there was definitely some improper, unbiblical behavior going on at that church.

P.S. Can that guy seriously not think of one thing he's thankful for? In English? How edifying is that? :eek:

D

Daniel94

I'm sorry you had a bad experience today, but "thank the Lord for shalalala" made me seriously lol.

The reason I pointed out that speaking in tongues out loud with no interpreter present was unbiblical is because it's so cut-and-dry. People could go around in circles about "he was speaking in tongues" "no he wasn't" "yes he was" for ages. The bottom line is that he wasn't following the bible.

As far as interpreting goes, if there was someone present with the gift of interpretation, God could have them interpret whatever He wanted to, be it an Earthly language or a heavenly one. If they had a real gift from God. But there was definitely some improper, unbiblical behavior going on at that church.

P.S. Can that guy seriously not think of one thing he's thankful for? In English? How edifying is that?
The pastor did say "Thank the Lord for shalalalala!" or maybe it was "Thank the lord for ish kish boo!" I think it was shalalala though.

My parents were telling me that it was unbiblical without an interpreter, but we were invited to the church and didn't want to be rude and not go. They actually attended this church when I was maybe 7, but left because of some of the stuff that was happening like the speaking in tongues without an interpreter. When they left they did some studying and found they agree more with the Baptist faith so we normally go to a Baptist church.

He was actually praying fro someone when he thanked the Lord for shalalala. I think praying for healing from cancer maybe...I was just so startled by the shalalala that I couldn't really pay attention to the prayer.

Last edited:

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
He was actually praying fro someone when he thanked the Lord for shalalala. I think praying for healing from cancer maybe...I was just so startled by the shalalala that I couldn't really pay attention to the prayer.
And all this time, I've been ungrateful for all the shalalala I've received. For shame.

Sorry, I just can't stop laughing about that.

D

Daniel94

And all this time, I've been ungrateful for all the shalalala I've received. For shame.

Sorry, I just can't stop laughing about that.
XD I know what you mean.

A

ashleybee

I grew up around my grandmother speaking in tongues every time I attended Church with her. She also speaks in tongues when she is in a real deep prayer. She is Pentecostal. (this is my grandmother from my father's side. my mother's side is Baptist.)

The whole "shalalalala" comment did make me 'lol'! I always heard my grandmother say "shunnania" whatever that is. ((shrug))

I have also heard that it was unbiblical to speak in tongues without a person present with the gift of interpretation. I've never witnessed an interpreter in all the times I've been in the Church with them speaking in tongues though.

J

jimmydiggs

I have also heard that it was unbiblical to speak in tongues without a person present with the gift of interpretation. I've never witnessed an interpreter in all the times I've been in the Church with them speaking in tongues though.
Unfortunately, this is the way Charismatics and Pentecostals tend to operate. They refuse to acknowledge that what they do is wrong.

O

onionslaughter

That's not the only problem.
1 Corinthians 14 ESV

Prophecy and Tongues

14 Pursue love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy. 2 For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit. 3 On the other hand, the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation. 4 The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church. 5 Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up.

6 Now, brothers,[a] if I come to you speaking in tongues, how will I benefit you unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or teaching? 7 If even lifeless instruments, such as the flute or the harp, do not give distinct notes, how will anyone know what is played? 8 And if the bugle gives an indistinct sound, who will get ready for battle? 9 So with yourselves, if with your tongue you utter speech that is not intelligible, how will anyone know what is said? For you will be speaking into the air. 10 There are doubtless many different languages in the world, and none is without meaning, 11 but if I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be a foreigner to the speaker and the speaker a foreigner to me. 12 So with yourselves, since you are eager for manifestations of the Spirit, strive to excel in building up the church.

13 Therefore, one who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful. 15 What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with my mind also. 16 Otherwise, if you give thanks with your spirit, how can anyone in the position of an outsider say “Amen” to your thanksgiving when he does not know what you are saying? 17 For you may be giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not being built up. 18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue.

20 Brothers, do not be children in your thinking. Be infants in evil, but in your thinking be mature. 21 In the Law it is written, “By people of strange tongues and by the lips of foreigners will I speak to this people, and even then they will not listen to me, says the Lord.” 22 Thus tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers, while prophecy is a sign[c] not for unbelievers but for believers. 23 If, therefore, the whole church comes together and all speak in tongues, and outsiders or unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are out of your minds? 24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or outsider enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all, 25 the secrets of his heart are disclosed, and so, falling on his face, he will worship God and declare that God is really among you.

Orderly Worship

26 What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up. 27 If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. 28 But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God. 29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said. 30 If a revelation is made to another sitting there, let the first be silent. 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged, 32 and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. 33 For God is not a God of confusion but of peace.

As in all the churches of the saints, 34 the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. 35 If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.

36 Or was it from you that the word of God came? Or are you the only ones it has reached? 37 If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord. 38 If anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized. 39 So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40 But all things should be done decently and in order.

It isn't wrong. It's a gift from God that can get out of hand is all. If churches set apart a time to worship God, and it isn't disturbing a "speaker" then it's good. If someone stops the service to speak in tongues without interpretation then it's bad. Paul is saying where to put your priorities. He says, "my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues". God bless.

J

jimmydiggs

It isn't wrong. It's a gift from God that can get out of hand is all. If churches set apart a time to worship God, and it isn't disturbing a "speaker" then it's good. If someone stops the service to speak in tongues without interpretation then it's bad. Paul is saying where to put your priorities. He says, "my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues". God bless.
I don't forbid speaking in tongues. Acts 2 tells us that speaking in tongues, is dealing with human languages.

One who didn't know Russian, is all of a sudden speaking Russian.

Aug 29, 2012
Oh ugh, I hardly want to comment and yet, if I do, I might learn something.....

I spent two years with a pentecostal church. From that time frame what I learned was that experiences are greater than the Word of God. The members were unscriptural in their usage of the sign gifts - and hence, were not sign gifts at all, but either man's whacked imagination or satanic in origin. Those whom did not hold to their ideas were: unsaved, condemned to hell, etc.

Now I do believe far more strongly than any of them did, that the Holy Spirit is real, is alive, is active in the lives of believers, whom will let Him lead.
I believe strongly that the gifts of the Spirit are real and for today. There usage is for reaching the lost (witnessing tool) and any other appearance is not of God.
I believe strongly that the gifts of the Spirit, belong to the Spirit and are given as usage become applicable. No one person has or owns a gift but may experience using of any or all at any point in their spiritual journey.
I also have seen all of the Spiritual gifts demonstrated, to shocking ends, in reaching the lost for Jesus. I think I did say ALL.

I have never spoken in tongues, the only time I have ever seen the real gift was in a small Mexican village, used by a guy I knew well enough to know he did not speak the local indian dialect. 165 can to salvation that day, almost the entire town! Yeah they knew a miracle when they saw it.

ForthAngel

Aug 31, 2012

P.S. Can that guy seriously not think of one thing he's thankful for? In English? How edifying is that? :eek:
Even speaking with an interpreter has never been proven biblical to me. I've look up a lot of stuff about people proving speaking in tongues is real. All of them agreed that someone with a gift of interpretation MUST be present but cannot show me one single scripture to prove this point. They all refer to when the apostles had the fire descend on their tongues and everyone heard them speaking *-in their own native language-*. The bible is clear that these apostles did not have an interpreter. I went to a pentecostal church for a while and the shalalala stuff is all you hear. You could probably record all of these and play them back and there is never any new "words". I also heard that some schools for ministers TEACH people to speak in tongues. This isn't possible.

I also have looked up a lot of pentecostal preachers and watched their sermons. Out of probably 20 or so videos, never once did I see one preaching about salvation, or even mention Jesus. I know I can't categorize all pentecostal churches into this category, but it was always the preacher getting all excited and screaming and wiping his forehead with a rag while he shouted things like "DO YOU KNOW GOD-DAH!" "PRAISE GOD-DAH!" "WE ARE SAVED BY GRACE THROUGH GOD-DAH! "SHALALALALLA OKI BATH!" "THANK YOU GOD-DAH!" This type of preaching is not speaking with authority no matter how much they claim this is true. I dunno. This may just be me, but this and "being slayed int he spirit" along with the shaking mimics something demonic in nature in my own personal opinion.

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
Even speaking with an interpreter has never been proven biblical to me. I've look up a lot of stuff about people proving speaking in tongues is real. All of them agreed that someone with a gift of interpretation MUST be present but cannot show me one single scripture to prove this point.
1 Corinthians 14:27-28 is the passage I was talking about: "If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be by two or at the most three, and each in turn, and one must interpret; but if there is no interpreter, he must keep silent in the church; and let him speak to himself and to God."