Perhaps, it is time to grow up

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

arwen83

In 7 months I will be 30. How I pictured myself at 30, isn't who I am. I am thinking, maybe it is time to grow up, act like a 30 year old. I attend a university with students 5-10 years younger than I, and many people have stated that they do not see me as 29. I am not sure how to take that. A compliment because I have youthful looks, or an insult that I am not living the life a typical 30 year old lives (kids, career, husband), or exhibit some immature qualities. I have realized that my age is a source of strength (life experience), as well as an insecurity.

There are some things that I feel that I need to be more responsible with ie. money, getting my priorities straight, work more often, take more lead, work harder at school. So that I can become that 30 year old, that people 5-10 years younger than me can tell that I am mature and independent. Maybe i should change my personal discourse from 20-something, to 30 year old and act my age.

As many of you have probably gathered that my age has been a concern, and insecurity in some of my posts. Forgive me if this is repetitive, I just needed to vent. Did you ever have a point in your life where you decided 'perhaps, it is time to grow up?'

Last edited:
C

Chrissy77

Today!! I am responding for Descyple.

Jul 25, 2005
Growing up is half your mindset and half circumstantial. The way society has been structured allows for people to take a long time growing up and finding themselves. It is hard to break free from.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
I can relate with you almost identically Arwen. I turn thirty later this year as well, and just graduated in May of 2012. It is a hard thing to wrap your head around. I mean my sister is 26 and getting married in June, meanwhile I'm nowhere close to even being in a relationship as it stands. I still live in the college town, so all the people I know are still college age and make up most of my friend group. Do I think I need to grow up yet? of course I do. Maybe not jumping straight into family life, but I definitely should be doing a career by now and not just a job. I stress about it a lot but Im stuck almost in a comfort rut of this being the life ive lived for all of college and it is enjoyable, just really immature.

R

Relena7

30 is just a number. Just like 26 is just a number. I'll never be like the majority of people my own age no matter what age I am, and I've learned to be okay with that.

More than "growing up", I just wanna learn to be comfortable in my own skin, and ultimately more confident and productive. After I reach that maturity, the "societal" maturities won't matter to me.

I don't mind being seen as younger, as long as I'm treated with equal respect.

Last edited by a moderator:

1still_waters

Hmmm...somethin along these lines.....

tooold1.jpg

Aug 2, 2009
In 7 months I will be 30. How I pictured myself at 30, isn't who I am. I am thinking, maybe it is time to grow up, act like a 30 year old. I attend a university with students 5-10 years younger than I, and many people have stated that they do not see me as 29. I am not sure how to take that. A compliment because I have youthful looks, or an insult that I am not living the life a typical 30 year old lives (kids, career, husband), or exhibit some immature qualities. I have realized that my age is a source of strength (life experience), as well as an insecurity.

There are some things that I feel that I need to be more responsible with ie. money, getting my priorities straight, work more often, take more lead, work harder at school. So that I can become that 30 year old, that people 5-10 years younger than me can tell that I am mature and independent. Maybe i should change my personal discourse from 20-something, to 30 year old and act my age.

As many of you have probably gathered that my age has been a concern, and insecurity in some of my posts. Forgive me if this is repetitive, I just needed to vent. Did you ever have a point in your life where you decided 'perhaps, it is time to grow up?'
No matter what you decide to do in life, just remember one thing..
Stay gold, my friend.

Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

- Robert Frost

Staying gold means staying young and noticing the world; being true to yourself, innocent, uncorrupted, unblemished, etc.; not conforming to what society dictates but instead marching to the beat of your own drummer.

Stay gold, Arwen. Stay gold.

AsifinPassing

Jul 13, 2010

Periodically...all the time...seriously...

Actually, the trick isn't merely knowing when or that you need to grow, but having the wear withal to actually do so.

R

Robbinette

Well what is your definition of grown up? I understand the need to be mature and make mature decisions and obviously it sounds like you are trying to do so. Life is too short to try and be someone your not. I always like to say maturity is for the grown ups. I have responsibilities like everyone else but I don't want to be a boring no nonsense grown up it isn't who I am. I'm an adult but I also have a quirky sense of humor and I happen to love cartoons but that's what makes me unique. If I were you I would just try to be myself and concentrate on making your life what you want it to be and let God shine through you. Be a fruitloop in a world full of cheerios. That saying is not for only immature or mature people its for everyone. Your exactly the way that God made you to be. I wouldn't worry about anything else :)

Jul 25, 2012
Well what is your definition of grown up? I understand the need to be mature and make mature decisions and obviously it sounds like you are trying to do so. Life is too short to try and be someone your not. I always like to say maturity is for the grown ups. I have responsibilities like everyone else but I don't want to be a boring no nonsense grown up it isn't who I am. I'm an adult but I also have a quirky sense of humor and I happen to love cartoons but that's what makes me unique. If I were you I would just try to be myself and concentrate on making your life what you want it to be and let God shine through you.Be a fruitloop in a world full of cheerios. That saying is not for only immature or mature people its for everyone. Your exactly the way that God made you to be. I wouldn't worry about anything else :)
I agree. Be a fruitloop.

Feb 10, 2008

Speaking as someone who felt like a 40 year old, who's friend group is largely comprised of those older than him not younger, I look at this and wonder. I'm living in the second house I've owned and just had my 5 year work 'anniversary' a couple of weeks ago. I'm happy here. I know that I've sought God to get here. But I'm left wondering, is it God who is trying to push you out of where you are? Or is it the world who is trying to put you down and prevent you from staying where God has put you?

As for me, immature is not a word that would have come to mind in describing you. If I could give you any advice it would simply be this, seek God's peace through His will. I'm sure He has some greatness in store for you.

Stuey

Aug 17, 2009
Pffft don't be silly, you're only old when you want to be.

DuchessAimee

Apr 27, 2011

Yep! I'm 32 and I've been going through the growing up process for a couple years now. I've had a lot happen to me over the course of my life and it's been a long and hard process to get over. However, it's worth it in the end. I started school (again) last July and I'll be graduating in October (hopefully) with an AAS in Medical Assisting. From there I'll go to nursing school and then hopefully become a Physician's Assistant. I started late in life but the way I figure it is at least I'm doing something now.

I'd like to encourage you Arwen to do what you need to do. I know how it feels to be the "old gal" in a classroom. But you know what? We're not old! 87 is old. ;) Pursue God and pursue your life. It will all work out in the end.

A

arwen83

Yep! I'm 32 and I've been going through the growing up process for a couple years now. I've had a lot happen to me over the course of my life and it's been a long and hard process to get over. However, it's worth it in the end. I started school (again) last July and I'll be graduating in October (hopefully) with an AAS in Medical Assisting. From there I'll go to nursing school and then hopefully become a Physician's Assistant. I started late in life but the way I figure it is at least I'm doing something now.

I'd like to encourage you Arwen to do what you need to do. I know how it feels to be the "old gal" in a classroom. But you know what? We're not old! 87 is old. ;) Pursue God and pursue your life. It will all work out in the end.
WOW, what an encouragement. Thank you.