Philippians 2:12

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

Gr8grace

Philippians 2: 12
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
I often think about the day of the LORD's return and how I would feel at the sight of HIS appearing. Whether I would love HIS coming or be thinking LORD I'm not ready yet.

HE advises that we work out our salvation with fear and trembling.
How do you work out salvation with fear and trembling?
Why did Paul say 'beloved' rather than 'brethren?'........He is addressing spiritually mature believers.

SO these believers are advancing and applying doctrine to their lives. They are not babes in Christ. They are WAYYYYYYYYYY past salvation in the sense of 'doubting' or 'maintaining' their eternal life in Christ. They are sure of eternal security, they know their eternal life is eternal, and they have advanced in the Christian way of live.

When believers get to this stage of maturity, the next step is evidence testing, suffering for blessing, and the Lord Jesus Christ will be glorified through believers who advance..........they are going to be attacked by the world and satan. They need to be ready.

So these believers need to work out their experiential salvation(this life as a mature believer) with extreme caution and the utmost respect. Because the world and satan applies extreme pressure to a believer who is advancing and Glorifying the Lord Jesus Christ..........be ready for an attack if we continue to grow in the Grace and knowledge of Christ.

C

Complete_In_Him

So you are saying if GOD is working in me, I don't have to pay attention to the first part of the verse?
We are laborers together with Him, by understanding, knowledge and manifold wisdom... "having the same mind", it is about correct doctrine, according to what God is doing today, in the dispensation of grace. We can fall from the doctrine of the grace of God. The doctrine is about eternal life, Christ being manifested in us and in the world by God through us and our gospel.

So, when a person falls from grace, they are not maturing properly in the doctrines of God for this ministry. Yet they have a zealousness for truth, but not the truth according to knowledge of the revelation of the mystery and our inheritance for our vocation in the household of God.

Christ be formed in you, is about manifesting fruit from following a particular pattern of doctrine. Not being "Christ like" or "disciples" or "following Christ", but being ambassadors of Christ who walk worthy of our vocation in the ministry of reconciliation.

[SUP]4[/SUP]Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints,
[SUP]5 [/SUP]For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;

[SUP]6 [/SUP]Which is come unto you, as it is in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it, and knew the grace of God in truth:

[SUP]7 [/SUP]As ye also learned of Epaphras our dear fellowservant, who is for you a faithful minister of Christ;

[SUP]8 [/SUP]Who also declared unto us your love in the Spirit.

[SUP]9 [/SUP]For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

[SUP]10 [/SUP]That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God

JennaLeanne

Dec 26, 2015
I think it important to quote the next verse (phil. 2:13) many fail to quote this yet its a very important part of the thought Paul was trying to convey. our work is to yield our will to His, we do this by devoting time with Him and following the commands given, its really not a matter of bondage to rules and commands as it is walking in a dark world without sight,(2co. 5:7) He leads us in many ways not the least of which is walking the path he has already walked, so yes we should work out our salvation but only doing His way , (prov.14:12) he is working a work in us, but will never force us, we must willingly and knowingly yield our will to His in a loving trust coupled with humility.
Just want to say a big fat Amen to this meaty chunk right here... xx

Sep 9, 2014
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
I often think about the day of the LORD's return and how I would feel at the sight of HIS appearing. Whether I would love HIS coming or be thinking LORD I'm not ready yet.
Don't walk or live in fear and anxiety and dread and worry and regret. Live your life in love and you'll have the faith to believe and to be ready.

2 John 1:6 This is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, that as you have heard from the beginning, you should walk in it.

Ephesians 5:1, 2 Therefore be imitators of God as dear children. 2 And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.

"A clear conscience is the softest pillow"
If you need to say sorry to someone, don't wait, do it quickly. The God that we serve is kind but will also pull out the rod when we're not letting go of that pride.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
In Philippians 2:12, notice that it says, "work out" your salvation not "work for" your salvation. This cannot refer to salvation by works (Ephesians 2:8-9), but it does refer to the believer's responsibility for active pursuit of obedience in the process of ongoing sanctification and as some have already pointed out, verse 13 continues, after a comma, "for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose."

Dec 19, 2009
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;

By repenting of our sin:

From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." Matt 4:17 RSV

Feb 9, 2010

There is nothing we can do to inherit salvation,for our righteousness is as filthy rags,and God said there is none good,no not one,and only a sinless man can approach a holy God to redeem mankind.No man is sinless so God was manifest in the flesh,and reconciled mankind back to Himself in the person of Jesus Christ,fully God,and fully man,in harmony.

There is nothing we can do to to inherit salvation,for Jesus did it all for us,and all we have to do is accept.

But after we are saved there is only one thing we have to do,and that is to allow the Spirit to lead us,in which we will love perfectly,which love is the fulfilling of the law,and we are prepared unto all good works by the Spirit,which then faith is active in our life.

We only have to love perfectly,and do works of the Spirit,to have faith active in our life.

So when the Bible says we have to work out our own salvation,we only have to allow the Spirit to lead us,which will cause us to do right,and be right with God.

We have to allow the Spirit to lead us,because God is not going to twist our arm to live for Him,and some people after they are saved might stop allowing the Spirit to lead them,which then at that point they are not right with God,but they can always repent and allow the Spirit to lead them again.

It is as simple as that,allow the Spirit to lead you,which you will do right before God,and you are alright,but some people do not.

2Ti 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
2Ti 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Some people will not allow the Spirit to lead them,which the Bible says they are lovers of pleasures,more than lovers of God.

But this does not apply to someone that allows the Spirit to lead them,but then dabbles in to sin for a spell,and then repents of it and allows the Spirit to lead them,because the thing with people that allow the Spirit to lead them,but might slip from time to time,not led by the Spirit at the time they sin,but then allow the Spirit to lead them,is that they know that their conduct,and behavior,and to act like Christ,is a requirement by God.

The people that have a form of godliness,but deny the Spirit to lead them,think it is alright for them to sin,and be right with God,so they do not change,by turning from sin,although they might of toned it down a bit,like maybe not be too harsh with people,like in the past.

They will have a form of godliness,they go to Church,treat people better than before they came to God,toned it down a bit,but they are ever learning,and never able to come to the truth,that they have to abstain from sin to be right with God,which the Bible says a Spirit led life will not fulfill the desires of the flesh,which means they will be tempted,but they will not carry it out.

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

These people that claimed Christ,somewhere down the line,stopped allowing the Spirit to lead them,and did not do the will of the Father,which it is a requirement that we abstain from sin to be right with God,which we can only do by the Spirit

That is the only way we work out our salvation,is by allowing the Spirit to lead us,which if we do we cannot go wrong,for we are doing what God wants us to do,but some people do not allow the Spirit to lead them,somewhere down the line,but they did at one time allow the Spirit to lead them,but if that is the case most likely they still believe they have to abstain from sin,but they are not doing it wanting to enjoy some fleshy pleasures.

But the people that have a form of godliness,but deny being led of the Spirit,most likely had that attitude from the start of their confessing Christ as their savior,for they are ever learning,but never able to come to the truth,when one is truly saved,they know the truth,but they might not allow the Spirit to lead them later on,although some people that knew the truth,might of stopped believing it later on,and think it is alright to sin and be right with God.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
Heb 10:30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
Heb 10:31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God(if you are not right with Him).

As far as working out our own salvation,with fear,and trembling,this covers it,which the thing we have to work out,is allowing the Spirit to lead us,and to abstain from sins,which then you are in the truth.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2016
submission is the KEY, our desire to break away from the holds that the powers of this wicked world has
over us...
when our Father lets us know that our growing Love for Him is becoming the most important thing in our lives,
then as we see ourselves over-coming and leaving our old-godless ways behind and start trying
with all of our hearts to be who He desires us to become, then the 'results' we see in ourselves will be
our guide and proof that we are on our way to becoming a part of Him and His Holy, Heavenly, family.

A

Ariel82

There was apparently a problem with the vainglorious, those who lacked humility, at Philippi,

Philippians 2:3-4 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

The passage goes on to explain how the Lord Jesus came as a lowly servant. So, I've always seen the "fear and trembling" aspect of that verse referring to having proper humility, in light of the awesomeness of Holy God, that no man can stand before, in his own merit. Like everybody else in the Bible, if Christ appeared to me in His glory, I have no doubt I'd also fall on my face, in terror, just of His glory, and my lack thereof, this despite being saved.

As to His appearing for His bride, this is the blessed hope (Titus 2:13). Day to day, we "work out" our salvation with care and respect of the Lord, with humility and love of others, not with respect of our own persons and love of self, but we can trust the Lord for our salvation, that we have eternal life and forgiveness of sin. We should learn to trust the Lord this way, and, by this faith, have that joy of our salvation that longs for His appearance. He is your Savior, because He has saved you, has sealed you with that promise by His Spirit, and this you are to have assurance of, belief in His power to save.

John 6:37-40
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise [never] cast out. For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 1:13-14 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise, which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Perhaps you could look upon "fear and trembling" to seek not to grieve the Holy Spirit, having care in our walk to show a proper respect for our Holy Creator as best we know how to do, as opposed to being vainglorious creatures of the flesh,

Ephesians 4:30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

In any event, have joy in your salvation and look forward to His appearing, knowing He has saved you. Trust Him completely in this regard, just praise His holy name Jesus, in that joy! Okay?

Hope this helps, and the Lord give you His peace...
Very nice...I would type a response but you have already done it wonderfully.

jandian

Feb 12, 2011
Big Sigh!!!
I was actually hoping to hear from people who work out there salvation with fear and trembling whether they believe in radical grace or not.
Just simple things you do to develop your relationship with GOD to ensure that you grow in love for HIM everyday. I forgot about this whole divide between who believes you can backslide or not. It would be nice to have a conversation that's not centered on that.