Physics question...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
Okay so I was taking a shower about 30 minutes ago and I thought came into my head... How do we feel heat and not pressure...

By this I mean on a molecular scale all heat is: are atoms moving faster then a motionless state... So when these atoms move they are going around randomly.... Now on a molecular scale they would be like 1000 little BB's hitting you randomly... Your nerves pick it up as heat not pressure... But when a thousand BB's (atoms) hit you at once we pick it up as pressure...

So Here is my question, on a molecular scale how do our nerves separate the sensations of heat and pressure... When relatively you can not tell the difference? Are our nerves so fine tuned they actually track 100 atoms and see what the mean direction of the atoms are, and then they justify their sporadicness as heat... Or do we know innately, or is it just an memorization thing that we can get wrong...

I understand both heat and pressure are energy, so don't go into that :p I want to know how we calculate the difference between the two...

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
There are several types of sensory receptors in the peripheral nervous system; mechanoreceptors respond to pressure while thermoreceptors are activated upon temperature stimulation.

Not really sure if that answers the question...:eek: