"pick up your cross and follow me." what did Jesus mean exactly?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
N

nathan3

by Roger Christopherson

Matthew 16:24 "Then said Jesus unto His disciples, "I any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Jesus is now saying that a man must deny his own emotions that would cause you to break your discipline to God's word, simply to please the flesh nature within you. Your cross is your study of the Word, and the discipline that you show in following what it teaches. A cross is something you die on, and when you take up your cross, you place all your self notions, and pleasures beneath that which is part of the Christian's discipline as set forth in His Word. Don't play church, and let your emotions rule you, but do as Christ says. You must make the teaching, and the church, and your emotions a reality that if it was called upon you to die for Christ, you would be willing to sacrifice your own life, for the Word of God. Any thing short of that is play acting, and the cross becomes nothing but a trinket worn around your neck. If you were one of the two witness of the final days, you would gladly die for Christ.

Matthew 16:25 "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it."

Whosoever shall lose his life as far as the flesh body is concerned, in the service of our Lord, shall have eternal life. The soul is eternal, and only God can destroy the soul at judgment. The flesh body will decay at death, however very shortly this flesh age will come to a close, and on the "day of the Lord", that day when the Jesus Christ will return as King of kings, and Lord of Lords, all flesh both good and bad will be gone, and we will be changed in the wink of an eye

Apostol2013

Jan 27, 2013
Yes brother it is to die with our lord that we may rise to the righteousness that is christ

A

arb71

As Christians, we also have to suffer, and taking up your cross means you are willing to go through your suffering as Christ did, in God's will. When Jesus was in the Garden of Gethsemane, He struggled initially with having to take up his cross of suffering and death and asked God if it's possible, to take this burden away from Him, BUT, he was more concerned about following God's will instead of his own human emotions at that time and kept praying until he received the victory to fulfill God's will of taking up that cross of suffering. One scripture I try to remember when I'm suffering is...Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy. I Pet 4:12-13. Even in our suffering though, God can provide us with peace and joy.

B

BeanieD

"Pick up your cross"...... Being a Christian CAN be quite difficult, and we can get nailed pretty hard even by our own families. I have been fired for my faith, been judged by my own children for my faith, and many other things. If noone loved and beilieved in Jesus in His day, and while He was on earth, why sould we not have to deal with some of the same. It is awesome to face those challenges because of our relationship with our God. There are many around the world who are suffering immensly and imprisoned for their faith and beliefs.

May God bless :rolleyes:

Aug 31, 2013
by Roger Christopherson

Matthew 16:24 "Then said Jesus unto His disciples, "I any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Matthew 16:25 "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it."
[TABLE="class: bibleTable, width: 614"]
[TR]
[TD]Mat 19:21
[/TD]
[TD]Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
The RYR had a life that provided for himself. jesus told him that you must give up self providence and come be fully dependent on me.

Die to the former life and be mine. that is the message. Your verse paralleled my comment really well so I piggy backed, sorry.

Dec 19, 2009
Iv been pondering what this means and some have told me it means that being a christian isnt easy and that if were not struggling as a christian and it seems too easy, then your not doing something right. What do you guys think?:confused:
There is much to learn before we are ready for heaven. It can be a struggle. Better to learn as much as we can when we are young, than have to learn it all when we are old.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
There is much to learn before we are ready for heaven. It can be a struggle. Better to learn as much as we can when we are young, than have to learn it all when we are old.
So true, for when we are old, much of what we learned when we were young is forgotten.......oh, no, wait, that may be just me....

C

CRUCIFIEDWITHCHRIST

Where was Jesus going?? He was going to die. We are to follow Jesus to die with him. So we can be risen up in newness of life like him.

Aug 31, 2013
Where was Jesus going?? He was going to die. We are to follow Jesus to die with him. So we can be risen up in newness of life like him.

what does that mean. Everyone is going to follow Jesus to death. Do you suggest everyone rises with him?

C

CRUCIFIEDWITHCHRIST

what does that mean. Everyone is going to follow Jesus to death. Do you suggest everyone rises with him?
Not everyone is going to follow Jesus to their death,matter fact it will be few. What I am speaking of is being born again not a physically death.

I

Imperfect

i always took it as, whatever problems life throws at you, you have to keep fighting through it.. By Gods word. cant do it your way. there will be some problems you want to deal with your way, but you know it aint the right way, so thats when taking up your cross comes into the equation, GOT to do it the Lords way and you will always be blessed and given gifts for being strong and pulling through your lifes problems Gods way.

or you can look at it like when Jesus was carrying his cross to be crucified and was getting brutalized and he stood every step of it.. he endured all that pain to his death..

walking through fire and not getting burnt. walk through a hurricane and not get wet.

or 1 of those movie scenes or commercials when you see somebody walking through the city full of chaos and the man is just casually walking through it all in slow motion with not a worry on his face..

have to be able to handle life and all its problems with grace.

Apostol2013

Jan 27, 2013
Die to sin and arise to the righteousnes of our Lord

Aug 31, 2013
Not everyone is going to follow Jesus to their death,matter fact it will be few. What I am speaking of is being born again not a physically death.
I'm trying here, not intending to be a jerk. The way you worded it, doesn't make any sense to the conversation.

What do you think dying is in that situation?

How does that occur?

When does it occur?

I find that the "born again" concept is thrown around with all sorts of myths and cliches. The result is, every person has a different view of what it is.

Following jesus to death..... is a cliche that has no meaning because so many people use it so many different ways.

So, you may be saying what I was saying above, or you may have some extremely different view. Thus, I asked....

Aug 31, 2013
One verse answer to what is a Born Again Christian....

btw, that isn't a term I EVER use.

[TR]
[TD] Rom 8:9
[/TD]
[TD]However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
First people associate "flesh" with corporeal bodies. That isn't how Paul uses it. Love it or hate it, the NIV got this one done best.

Your body isn't the discussion here. We know this because of....

[TR]
[TD]Rom 7:5
[/TD]
[TD]For while we were in the flesh, the sinful passions, which werearoused by the Law, were at work in fnthe members of our body to bear fruit for death.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
If you still struggle with the flesh, then the Spirit of God, does not YET indwell you.

So, what do you think this word means? I would start a thread on that, but last time I tried, it disappeared.

Aug 31, 2013
Die to sin and arise to the righteousnes of our Lord
Ok, same question for you.

What does DIE TO SIN mean? Explain what that is. It's another cliche. The words have been used so much, they are nearly an incantation people say at certain times. Like AMEN.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Iv been pondering what this means and some have told me it means that being a christian isnt easy and that if were not struggling as a christian and it seems too easy, then your not doing something right. What do you guys think?:confused:
I wondered alot about this as well for a long time, in time this is the understanding in Jesus I recieived.
Consider, how Jesus when He took the cross, He did so, not for Himself, but made Himself as least, for our sake, because of His love, the love of God Our Father.
I believe the cross we are called to, is to love others in this way, even if it means becoming the least for another's sake.
An example: a relative of mine, has done many wrongs against me and others, this person does not see that they do this, as their actions are simply ones of survival.
I could be justified to reject this person, even forget them, but by forgiving and loving them in Jesus, even serving them, this is what one is asked to do.
So one day, they will recieive Jesus, and see His love and glory, witnesssed in others who continued to love them, not for any reason but their sake, even when they were not loveable, the love of Jesus and His sacrifice, will be glorified!
The cross was all about Jesus being obedient to God Our Father's love for us even though we were still sinners, Jesus taking the cross because of this love.
For this love reaches the heart, even bone and marrow, and its power overcomes all.
Simply because this love seeks nothing for self, but all for the sake of another.
It is a love one cannot gain on their own, only in Jesus can we know it and live it, but it is a cross one is called to bare, not for self, but compleatly in Jesus's love, for the sake of another.

God bless
pickles

Dec 19, 2009
So true, for when we are old, much of what we learned when we were young is forgotten.......oh, no, wait, that may be just me....
Not just that, but life is a bit more challenging as we age.

onlinebuddy

Sep 1, 2012
In Luke 9:27 Jesus is telling us to:
1. deny ourselves
2. take up our crosses daily and
3. follow him

What was the cross for Jesus? It was a burden that Jesus carried for no fault of his. Doing right has a cost.
Similarly, Christians will face challenges DAILY, because the path we have chosen is not the natural carnal one. In fact, it is exactly opposite to our carnal selves, and calls for self denial. Secondly, we may have to suffer for no fault of ours in the form of opposition, being laughed at, being labelled and being persecuted. So there is a cost involved, and those who wish to follow Christ must be willing to suffer injustice for no fault of theirs.

Jesus did not want to attract just anyone as his followers. In the above verse, he was trying to tell his disciples that following him did not have any glamor attached to it. It is the road that is less popular and despised, because the life of a Christian would convict others of their wrongdoings. They would therefore hate Christians.

Should we worry if our Christian lives are smooth? I don't think so.
This does not mean that you are not doing something right (as you were wondering). Living a Christian is comparatively much challenging in other countries as compared to the U.S. But everyone will be tested.

12tribes1King

To fully deny ourselves by giving our life to serve God the Father,..... that means your carnal wants, needs and cares in this life in exchange for serving God the Father completely with a whole heart (body, mind, and soul), living the life that Christ showed us, even unto death.

2Corinthians 5:
14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:

15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.

16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.