Ping Pong Christians

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 10, 2008
Jane grew up in an abusive family, she got pregnant at a young age after rocky relationships with several men. She struggled with depression and finally hit rock bottom. On her way sliding into the gutter, she reached out for anyone, anyone at all to help her. She found a pastor who explained how Christ had already saved her. She saw the salvation of Christ and the great love. She wanted it. A few months later she bumped into one of her old friends and they ran off and got married. Her husband reintroduced her to many of her old friends. After a while, the relationship disintegrated and Jane was lonely; she reached out to one of her friends for support and she gave herself to him. But the relationship didn't last, and she was soon alone again. She was alone and in pain and turned to alcohol to dull her pain.

I'm struggling with 1 Corinthians 5

If Jane goes through all of this and accepted Christ and claimed to be a Christian throughout it, 1 Corinthians 5, taken alone would seem to suggest that she should essentially be excommunicated from the church.

If Jane claimed salvation for a time and then doubt caused her to question her salvation as her marriage got ruined, the love demonstrated throughout the Bible and through Christ himself seems to suggest that she should be loved and helped!

If Jane learned about God and rejected Him without ever being saved, but was loved and welcomed by the church, the church is commanded to love her deeply.

Does a persons past play no role in determining if they should be treated in this manner? Or could it be that in this verse Paul is referring to people who have never "cleaned up their act?" Not people who have fallen, but rather people who never actually stopped sinning, who were never once repentant?

Does it really all hinge on whether someone "claims" to be a christian?

Using myself as an example, I know that I am saved. I have the support of a large number of people. During the period I was saved, I spent years having premarital sex. Knowing it was wrong, wrestling with it, saying I wanted to stop, trying to stop. So in this time, if I had been excommunicated from the church, if I had been judged harshly, what good would it have done? I would have ended up losing all of the best influences on my life to be tossed to the wolves.

This verse seems to be so clear to some, but to me it is far from it. It seems that it is important and does provide some great guidance and truth, but being only a single passage it seems like it must refer to a fairly rare occurrence. Not something that applies to a struggling christian, or a young christian who has been pulled back into his/her sinful past.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
1st Corinthians 5 (in context) is talking about blatant, unrepentant sin, not the brother who is struggling to overcome. Even dealing with the "struggling" brother takes wisdom since some who claim to be struggling to overcome blatantly refuse to enact the changes in their lives that would facilitate overcoming. In other words, they want change to come without making change happen. In those cases I would still fall back on 1st Cor 5.

Of course the intent of 1st Cor 5 is that the brother be lovingly restored when he does come to repentance. Paul revisits this specific saga in 2nd Cor 2 giving instruction to restore the person.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2008
"1st Corinthians 5 (in context) is talking about blatant, unrepentant sin, not the brother who is struggling to overcome."

This is only a small part of what I'm struggling with. For this part, what I am struggling with is "blatant"; as it is highly subjective and requires that someone truly know the persons heart. It seems that it's not something that just any christian can judge about any 'random' other person.

The majority of what I'm struggling with, however, is when 1 corinthians comes in to play. Throughout the Bible we are encouraged to forgive and love, extensively, repeatedly, in many ways, and yet in this one verse we are told to not forgive unless true repentance is demonstrated. So this seems like something that should take quite in depth and very intimate knowledge about the situation to determine when to apply it. I can't see this one verse as a "fall back" to verse when it is one minor part of a vastly greater work that supports unconditional love and forgiveness. So when does it come in to play? Only on a very few select cases, or is it really something that should be applied as liberally as many seem to?

Feb 10, 2008
The majority of what I'm struggling with, however, is when 1 corinthians comes in to play.
Grrr, somebody is preventing me from typing what i'm thinking:

The majority of what I'm struggling with is "with whom". People who claim christ, people you know where once christians, people who you think might be christians but don't really know, people who wear a cross around their neck?

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I do agree that wisdom needs to be used when applying 1 Cor 5. I've only had first hand experience with two churches that have applied the instructions given and in both circumstances the sin was blatant and unrepentant. In other words when they were confronted with the sin they made it known that they were going to continue in it
regardless

In context of the whole of scripture, the brother in sin is to be confronted first privately and if the brother refuses to repent, then before the church and if repentance still doesn't come, then excommunication. (Matt 18:15-17)

15 “If your brother or sister[b] sins,[c] go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. 16 But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’[d] 17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

As Paul points out in 1st Cor 5:6 a little leaven spreads through the whole loaf, and likewise blatant sin tolerated within the church spreads and destroys the testimony of a church.

Feb 10, 2008
:)

Alright, hopefully my last question for you. So if they repent, but then fall back into the same sin, you'd consider it a new matter? Or that they hadn't truly repented in the first place?

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Grrr, somebody is preventing me from typing what i'm thinking:

The majority of what I'm struggling with is "with whom". People who claim christ, people you know where once christians, people who you think might be christians but don't really know, people who wear a cross around their neck?
Based on the parable of the sower, not everyone who shows the initial "evidences" of salvation follow through. Look at Matt 7:15-23, "not everyone who says to me Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom.

In every circumstance that I've seen if someone is truly the Lord's, then church discipline will not cause them to abandon their faith, but bring them eventually to repentance.

I think my own life is proof that those who truly belong to Him will be drawn to repentance by Him in time. In my case it took 12 years, but He was faithful.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Gaaaghghghg, you posted again while I was answering.

I really think it comes down to a case by case basis. Obviously only the individual and the Lord know if they were truly repentant. I truly believe that any church or person applying 1st Cor 5 needs to approach it after much prayer and seeking after the Lord.

Feb 10, 2008
Oh, and if it matters, but Jane is real. Though her story and name were modified a little to help protect the innocent.

She could use your prayers, and also for her daughter as she's about to run away from another bad situation, quite possibly into a brand new bad situation.

J

Jullianna

Thank you for your loving heart and for sharing your concerns with us, Lightning. Praying for "Jane" right now.

K

kayem77

I agree with Oncefallen, I think every situation should be judged accordingly so one can determine if the behavior (sin) is done continually and unrepentantly. Actually I know of a situation in my church where one guy is being completely fake at home but holy and humble at church, and I thnk someone needs to tell him something. There are times when too much mercy becomes injustice to everyone else.

PS. Dropped a prayer for your friend.