Playing music in church!!!!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

DQkid

Hello out there...this is my first post so I'm kinda nervous. haha.

But I play music in church or I used to anyway and I guess in that lies the problem. I used to play music in our youth group but for awhile now we have just stopped doing it. It kinda feels like a part of me has gone away. The others in the music group play music on Sunday mornings for the congregation so they are still playing music every week. For me, I just feel left out. Everyone else is happy and content while that part of me is slowly fading away. I do not want anyone to be unhappy so I just kinda keep my mouth shut about the whole subject.

After speaking to one of my friends who I used to play music with(he has moved away now) he says it might be time for me to leave and find a church where I can use the talents that God has blessed me with. the thing is I do not think that is the solution for my problem. I'm leaving for college soon to finish getting my degree so leaving the church would be pointless.

I guess what I'm asking for is some kind of solution to my problem.

L

lil-rush

Why don't you play music during service on Sunday?

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

i only believe the use of the triangle is appropriate church music

D

DQkid

All the spots are filled for Sunday morning worship. Thats why Im not playing on Sunday mornings.

R

redeemed7

What do you play? Guitar? Come on man, you can never have too many guitar players. Worship bands sometime have like 10 guitar players....

D

DQkid

I actually play guitar, bass, drums, and a little piano as well. And I sing a little too. I guess the leaders of the church just decided to go with the others instead of me.

L

lil-rush

well, pray about it. Maybe talk to the praise director about it, see if you can work something out.

A

Aqua_Girl09

tell them how you feel. my church is really small and the stage is TINY. so we switch out people every week. sometime every other service. because there are people who need something to DO in the church. If you feel like thats your calling then you need to be up there DOING it. don't let your talents go to waist. If they're the leader they should be then the'll figure something out. i mean you could be a sub at least if someone is sick or something. just come to all the practices and ect. but if they refuse you then i think its time to head to another church.

Sep 18, 2009
i can imagine how u feel i play guitar 2 in church but the churches ive been at have been realy encouraging to me
my advice is spk to your pastors thats wat there for to help and direct you and if thats your gifting then they should help u progress in that area all mine have ! trust me if you dont ask they wont know how u feel
at one church we had like 3 music band with a rota we just changed the musicians around to give every 1 a rest spk to the leaders and then they can put u on the right path ;)

god bless

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

When in doubt........... play the triangle.

Aug 9, 2009
Look at 1 Corinthians 12 to 14.
We all have gifts but church isn't about using our gifts, its about edifying (building up) the congregation. Sure this can be done using our gifts, but our motive must be love not how can I use my gift. I can understand that you feel left out, but you have to ask the question if you are best serving the church. We should look at it from the church needs and how we can best use our gifts and talents to build up the body.