Playing when you're hurt....

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 25, 2010
Read this in my devotional Bible. Thought I would share and gain some thought on it:

Champions often play when they're hurt. Mentoring expert Fred Smith recounts how a successful businessman once expanded on a thought: "Amatuers can produce when they feel like it. Pros can produce when they don"t feel like it." Dings, scrapes and bruises are a part of sports. Great players learn to excel in spite of them. One network announcer, himself a former professional football player, once observed, "If you're a pro football player and you play one down of one series of one quarter of a game, you're going to be playing hurt." For these athletes, as well as athletes in any major contact sport, playing through the pain is just what's expected.
Similarily, we live in a imperfect world where we invaribly experience pain and encounter hurts. Try as we might to avoid the wounds, we often find ourselves aching. A bruised ego. A torn relationship. A broken promise. A painful divorce. a failed business. Yet we must learn to "play hurt."
Jesus understood living in a imperfect world- coping with pain and overcoming hurt. he didn't say to his disciples, 'In this world you might have trouble" or, "In this world some people have trouble" No, he assured them, "In this world you will have trouble."
Before long, Jesus would no longer be with his followers physically. He wanted them to know that while not seeing him would cause pain, the hurt would be short-lived. In time, they would see him again, feel his presence and experience his power.
When we're hurting, what does it take for us to reenter the game? as in sports, playing hurt means recognizing that some of our aches and pains are minor- nothing more than the day-to-day bruises that come from living. Brush aside those twinges as quickly as they arise. At other times, our hurts are far more serious, requiringsomething more. A forgiving heart. A patient attitude. A humble spirit. most importantly, when we trot back onto the field of life(all banged up and bruised),we need to remember that the power and presence of Jesus accompany us, prevailing over any pain we might feel.

I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. he put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put there trust in the Lord. Psalm 40: 1-3

Do you think the pain you endure makes you weaker or stronger spiritually?
What hurts are keeping you off the field of life?

I

imperfection

Hey...I know it's been two days you posted this and none seemed to reply. First I got on you thread and I thought...well, it's just a devotional....but I kept reading and it totally speaks to me.

I'm going through a rough time right now and I feel like I have to be playing even though I am so deeply hurt. Sometimes it makes me want to give up everything. But I know I have to keep playing. And I know that the result will be worth it. I feel like no one is concerned with my pain.

But your thread encouraged me...thank you

Love
Meems

J

jkalyna

:) THIS IS LIKE ONLY A CHAMPION WOULD SAY. YOU ARE ONE IN CHRIST. TY FOR THE ENLIGHTMENT TO MY SPIRIT. YES WE NEED TO TOUGHEN UP TO EVERYDAY LITTLE BRUISES. ONE OF THE MISTAKES IS FEELING SORRY FOR ONESELF, AND WANTING PITY EITHER FROM ONESELF OR ANOTHER. MANY ARE THE TRIALS ON OUR PATH. I FOUND OUT THAT BEING THANKFULL SEVERS THE SELF PITY OF LOOKING AT OUR WOUNDS OR LICKING OUR WOUNDS. THERE IS ONE WHO WE CAN GO TO AND TELL HIM ALL ABOUT IT. THE PROBLEM IS TO MANY THINGS IN THE PATH BEFORE THE THRONE, AND ONE'S OWN ANSWER BACK IS, DON'T HAVE THE TIME. GOD BLESS YOU, AND KEEP YOU STRONG, GIVE US ALL COURAGE TO STAND BEFORE THE GOLIATH'S, AND SAY, " I GO IN THE NAME OF THE LORD".

clarkthompson

Jul 8, 2012
I do like this because for as christians we are most effective Christ when we are down when have had something get to us we can be the most useful to God for winning believers if we rely on him in those difficult times people can see this and turn to Christ

T

twinkles

Hey, i just love reading threads like these... Thank you so much for these words-really encouraging:)

I also read what everybody else had to share-God bless you all.. Lets keep on keeping on-God is faithful and will leave our side...

There is power in the name of our Lord and Savior-Jesus!!