Please explain the trinity

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

mike1988

Could someone please explain the trinity to me and the reason why jesus had to die?

Devoted2JC

Jan 16, 2011
Hello welcome to Christian Chat.

N

NMsmile

Wow that is a big question! I will quote John 3:16, For God so loved the world that he gave his only son that who so ever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life. He had to die so that we wouldn't have to. I hope you will find the answers you seek. The real amazing thing is that God will answer those questions for you because he wants to know you personally! I'm sure there are all sorts of people on this site that are better qualified to answer your other question about the Trinity but I'll take a shot at it from what I understand. The Trinity is God. God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit 3 unique persons yet 1 person. The great thing about your question is that now I will go and study and learn about the topic so that next time I will be able to answer without hesitation. (If in my studies I find out that I'm wrong I will get back with you.)

R

Ramon

Jesus explain all you need to know. May Jesus bless you. Read the gospels and BELIEVE THEM. I love you in Jesus.

Dec 19, 2009
Could someone please explain the trinity to me and the reason why jesus had to die?
Welcome to CC, Mike.

I believe the Trinity is a way of explaining the Lord does three different things. He is a Father (Creator), Son (Jesus), and Holy Spirit (this is a name we give him when he speaks directly to us).

When Jesus died, after having lived a sinless life, he “ransomed” us from Satan, who otherwise would have used our sin against us forever.

M

mike1988

Wait... Please be patient with me.. If what you're saying is the case, what happened to the people of the old testament? the people who died before jesus came, were they in hell? And why couldn't God just forgive us? God forgave samson and all those other prophet before jesus came on the scene, what was so different from that and to what jesus had done 2,000 years ago?

M

mike1988

As for the trinity, you say three unique person but 1 person? I still don't fully understand that.. Wouldn't it make sense if it were three distinct persons in 1 being meaning God? So now that you say that there's three persons and they are distinct but 1, but who makes the rules? God the Father, or God the Son, or God the Holy spirit? Do they think the same thing instantly all do all obey the father's word?.. But jesus is the word of God.. This whole thing is mind blogging.. I can just about get my head around it, but then i can't.. I cannot fully comprehend this.. Could someone please give me the simplest and reasonable explaination of this pleaseeee.

S

Stephen

You asking finite mankind to explain the being of an infinite God and the trinity. I have listened over the years to people try to explain the trinity with flawed results. There is no complete way to explain it nor based on all the laws of physics can we explain an infinite God who was, is, and forever will be. I would encourage you to study God's word and speak to Him in prayer. Get to know God on an intimate personal level and have eternal life. Living forever in a new and flawless body....there again against the laws that govern our world.
This is why this world will pass and a new kingdon established. We live by faith. Not a blind faith we have been shown the Truth, He lived among us a sinless life, died for our sins and was resurrected. There is historical record for these accounts.
God Bless you and quench your thirst for knowledge with His word.

F

Forgiven66

Hello Mike 1988, and welcome to CC.
Wow talk about a difficult question.

The Trintiy is rather difficult to understand. I believe the best way to describe the Trinity is Three Divine Being, each being God, but not three different God(s). Some will say this can't be explain. But I think it can be explained when one looks at the United States Government. I notice ( if I recognize the flag by your name right) that you are from Great Britian, so I don't know how much you know of our Government accross the pond from you. But here in the the US we have three branches to our government. Each branch is the Government, but not three different governments, but one united federal government. So likewise do I believe the Trinity/Godhead to be (Acts 17:29; Colossians 2:9). Just as we in the United States have a Legisative branch called the Congress which is the US Government and properly called the Government but not a separate government from the other two branches; so God the Father (Yahweh) is God, and properly called God, but not a seperate God, from other Two members of the Godhead. Just as Christ Jesus the Son of God is God, and properly called God, but not a separate God, from the other Two Members of the Trintiy, so the Judicial Branch (the Courts/Supreme Court) of our US Government, is the government, but not a seperate government. And just as the executive branch (the President) of the US Government is the government, but not a separate government, so the Holy Spirit is God, yet not a separate God from the Father and the Son. For we read many times in the Bible of God/the Godhead referring to themselves in the plural form (Genesis 1:26; 11:5-7; Isaiah 6:8; 44:6).

Isaiah 33:22
For the LORD is our Judge, the LORD is our Lawgiver, the LORD is our King:; He will save us.

I John 5:7
For there are three that bear record in heaven , the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
And yes the above is authenic Scripture, for enjoys God eternal protection thru His own Word.

So why did Jesus died for sins. I think that NMsmile gave a good example but I will add, that the Godhead is just, and being just they cannot accept sin, without some type of payment. God Wrath will one day come down on all who sin, unless they have accepted the Blood of Christ.
Romans 5:8-9
8) But God commendeth His love for us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
9) Much more then, being now justified by His Blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.

So what happen to though who came before Jesus. We read in Psalms 16:10-11; Acts 2:25-36, that Jesus went to hell/prison we read in the following Scripture what Jesus did while He was in prison.
I Peter 3:19
By which also He went and preached unto the spirits in prison.
I think the Word of God tells us here that Jesus preached to though who had died before He came. So that God could not be called unjust in any manner at all (I Peter 4:6).

I apologize about the long post, but hopefully it will help your understanding.

H

HannahLeigh143

sure the trinity is jesus god and the holy spirit!!!!! nd jesus had to die for our sins!!!

J

jimmydiggs

To the question about why Jesus had to die, if you have the time Josh McDowell gives a pretty good presentation on that.

The following is part 1.

An analogy he gives later made a lot of sense to me.

God is the judge of the earth.

God is the father of all mankind, and loves mankind.

God cannot change. So these two cannot come into conflict.

He compares it to a situation he presents.

A girl is caught speeding. She goes to court. The judge convicts her of the crime, and she must pay a fine. The judge comes off the bench, takes off the robes, and pays the fine for her. Why? The judge was her father.

I suggest the video and all four parts though, he talks about a lot of things that need to be known.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytF6i8ZUuoo[/video]

CARM said:
  1. God exists.
    1. Gen. 1:1, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."
  2. God is infinite
    1. Psalm 90:2, "Before the mountains were born, Or Thou didst give birth to the earth and the world, Even from everlasting to everlasting, Thou art God."
    2. Psalm 147:5, "Great is our Lord, and abundant in strength; His understanding is infinite."
    3. Jer. 23:24, "Can a man hide himself in hiding places, So I do not see him?” declares the Lord. “Do I not fill the heavens and the earth?” declares the Lord."
  3. God is holy
    1. Isaiah 6:3, "And one called out to another and said, “Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord of hosts, The whole earth is full of His glory.”
    2. Rev. 4:8 "And the four living creatures, each one of them having six wings, are full of eyes around and within; and day and night they do not cease to say, "Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God, the Almighty, who was and who is and who is to come."
  4. God is righteous
    1. Neh. 9:32-33, "Now therefore, our God, the great, the mighty, and the awesome God, who dost keep covenant and lovingkindness, Do not let all the hardship seem insignificant before Thee, Which has come upon us, our kings, our princes, our priests, our prophets, our fathers, and on all Thy people, From the days of the kings of Assyria to this day. 33“However, Thou art just in all that has come upon us."
    2. 2 Thess. 1:6, "For after all it is only just for God to repay with affliction those who afflict you."
  5. Therefore, God is infinitely holy and just.
  6. Furthermore, God speaks out of the character of what He is.
    1. Matt. 12:34, "...For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart."
  7. God spoke the Law
    1. Exodus 20:1-17, "Then God spoke all these words, saying, 2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. 3 “You shall have no other gods before Me...."
  8. Therefore, the Law is in the heart of God and is a reflection of God's character since it is Holy and good.
    1. Rom. 7:12, "So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good."
  9. Furthermore, to break the Law of God is to offend Him since it is His Law that we break. This sin results in an infinite offense because God is infinite.
  10. Furthermore, it is also right that God punish the Law breaker. To not punish the Law breaker (sinner) is to allow an offense against His holiness to be ignored.
    1. Amos 2:4, "Thus says the Lord, “For three transgressions of Judah and for four I will not revoke its punishment, because they rejected the law of the Lord And have not kept His statutes."
    2. Rom. 4:15, "...for the Law brings about wrath."
  11. God says that the person who sins must die (be punished). The wages of sin is death.
    1. Ezekiel 18:4, "Behold, all souls are Mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is Mine. The soul who sins will die."
    2. Rom. 6:23, "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
  12. The sinner needs to escape the righteous judgment of God or he will face damnation.
    1. Rom. 1:18, "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness."
    2. Matt. 25:46, "And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
  13. But, no sinner can undo an infinite offense since to please God and make things right, he must obey the Law, which is the standard of God's righteous character.
    1. Gal. 2:16, "...by the works of the Law shall no flesh be justified."
    2. Gal. 2:21, "I do not nullify the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly."
  14. But the sinner cannot fulfill the law because he is sinful (in the flesh).
    1. Rom. 8:3, "For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son..."
  15. Since the sinner cannot fulfill the law and satisfy God, it follows that only God can do this.
    1. This is simple logic. If we are unable to fulfill the Law, then we will be punished by it. But, since God desires us to be saved, the Law must be satisfied. Since we cannot keep the Law and it must be satisfied, then the only one capable of keeping the Law must keep the Law: God.
  16. Jesus is God in flesh.
    1. John 1:1,14, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.... 14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth."
    2. Col. 2:9, "For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form."
  17. Jesus was also a man under the Law.
    1. 1 Tim. 2:5, "For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus."
    2. Gal. 4:4-5, "But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, 5in order that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons."
  18. Jesus became sin for us and bore our sins in His body on the cross, thus fulfilling the Law.
    1. 2 Cor. 5:21, "He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."
    2. 1 Peter 2:24, "and He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed."
    3. Rom. 8:3-4, "For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, 4so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit."
  19. Therefore, salvation is by grace through faith since it was not by our keeping the Law, but by Jesus, God in flesh, who fulfilled the Law and died in our place.
    1. Eph. 2:8-9, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, that no one should boast."
    2. Gal. 3:13, "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us — for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree."
    3. Eph. 5:2, "and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you, and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma."
Why did Jesus have to die for our sins? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry <--- click

S

Stephen

The problem with using our 3 co-equal branches of government is that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit agree 100% of the time. Also, the primary reason for 3 branches is for a checks and balances system of government. God rules absolutely...King

Hello Mike 1988, and welcome to CC.
Wow talk about a difficult question.

The Trintiy is rather difficult to understand. I believe the best way to describe the Trinity is Three Divine Being, each being God, but not three different God(s). Some will say this can't be explain. But I think it can be explained when one looks at the United States Government. I notice ( if I recognize the flag by your name right) that you are from Great Britian, so I don't know how much you know of our Government accross the pond from you. But here in the the US we have three branches to our government. Each branch is the Government, but not three different governments, but one united federal government. So likewise do I believe the Trinity/Godhead to be (Acts 17:29; Colossians 2:9). Just as we in the United States have a Legisative branch called the Congress which is the US Government and properly called the Government but not a separate government from the other two branches; so God the Father (Yahweh) is God, and properly called God, but not a seperate God, from other Two members of the Godhead. Just as Christ Jesus the Son of God is God, and properly called God, but not a separate God, from the other Two Members of the Trintiy, so the Judicial Branch (the Courts/Supreme Court) of our US Government, is the government, but not a seperate government. And just as the executive branch (the President) of the US Government is the government, but not a separate government, so the Holy Spirit is God, yet not a separate God from the Father and the Son. For we read many times in the Bible of God/the Godhead referring to themselves in the plural form (Genesis 1:26; 11:5-7; Isaiah 6:8; 44:6).

Isaiah 33:22
For the LORD is our Judge, the LORD is our Lawgiver, the LORD is our King:; He will save us.

I John 5:7
For there are three that bear record in heaven , the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
And yes the above is authenic Scripture, for enjoys God eternal protection thru His own Word.

So why did Jesus died for sins. I think that NMsmile gave a good example but I will add, that the Godhead is just, and being just they cannot accept sin, without some type of payment. God Wrath will one day come down on all who sin, unless they have accepted the Blood of Christ.
Romans 5:8-9
8) But God commendeth His love for us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
9) Much more then, being now justified by His Blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.

So what happen to though who came before Jesus. We read in Psalms 16:10-11; Acts 2:25-36, that Jesus went to hell/prison we read in the following Scripture what Jesus did while He was in prison.
I Peter 3:19
By which also He went and preached unto the spirits in prison.
I think the Word of God tells us here that Jesus preached to though who had died before He came. So that God could not be called unjust in any manner at all (I Peter 4:6).

I apologize about the long post, but hopefully it will help your understanding.

H

Hearer

Hi everyone and God bless

The trinity is also about relationship. Three persons of God in a loving relaitonship and also as Stephen said, agreeing 100% of the time, being of one mind and heart. This is to teach us love and relationship. One God in three persons in perfect relationship.

Jesus died for us for a number of reasons, including to draw us to him in gratitude for his selflessness. He gave himself for us so that we a drawn to him in love.

Those that came before Jesus and who lived a righteous life were preached the good news by Jesus after his death and before his resurrection. They were saved by Jesus. Others will be judged at the end of time and God says he might be lenient if they repent (he is loving after all). See Mark chapter 6

1. Mark 6:11
    And if any community will not receive and accept and welcome you, and they refuse to listen to you, when you depart, shake off the dust that is on your feet, for a testimony against them. Truly I tell you, it will be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrah in the judgment day than for that town. Amp Bible. Source Biblegateway.com

S

SubCruceSalus

Your best bet for understanding the Trinity is to look up the Athanasian Creed (The Athanasian Creed), it explains it fully. As for why Christ had to die for us, it's fairly simple: When Adam sinned, all mankind fell into a state of sin with him, and we were by our very nature "objects of God's wrath" and were dead in our sins and trespasses. Ephesians 2:1-10 reads thusly on the issue:

"And you [hath he quickened], who were dead in trespasses and sins; Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved) And hath raised [us] up together, and made [us] sit together in heavenly [places] in Christ Jesus: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in [his] kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." Ephesians 2 (Blue Letter Bible: KJV - King James Version)

1 Corinthians 15 is another passage of Scripture I would highly advise you to read concerning this matter. 1 Corinthians 15 (Blue Letter Bible: KJV - King James Version)

I hope this is of some help to you.